No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Montana info needed [Re: Gene Dziza] #6460792
02/14/19 01:31 AM
02/14/19 01:31 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by Gene Dziza
Originally Posted by Hunter4623*
Finally in a position to move. House is sold. I’m looking for any helpful info on relocating. Initially I was looking into Wyoming but I can’t find anything suitable in my price range. I prefer a cabin or property in a mountainous part of the state. I continually read that Montana is turning into a liberal state. I don’t want my new home to turn into my old one (NJ). Should I be looking at another state? I’m an avid hunter, fisherman and trapper. What part of the state has the most variety of (huntable populations) game? Most of my research says the game populations are falling in the NW part of the state. I guess that’s wolves at work?? I love to predator hunt so bears and wolves are welcome neighbors. I’m not a fan of people so I don’t want to be near a population center. People generally suck....at least around here they do. I have a pension so I don’t need a job so that isn’t a factor. I’m hoping to fly out in May to check some properties and maybe piggyback a little bear hunting onto the trip if the weather cooperates. Thanks

I too, moved to Montana from the east coast to escape political persecution back in 1991. Montana is amazing! There is a growing environmentalist movement here, no doubt. But the people that call this a liberal state have probably never lived in Massachusetts. This is still a conservative state, comparatively speaking and you will be amazed Hunter, at the freedoms you will experience compared to where you are from. Get out now, would be my advice to you. Real estate is not cheap in Montana though.

Exactly. And the main larger towns that are focused on and read about don't even represent all the out of the way places that are enjoyed to the full in happy western living . It all depends what areas are considered. The west is vast, diverse, and unique . Many who move to these areas from the cities end up moving out. They cant make a go of it the way they expected, and that's good. That leaves folks like us smile

If anyone recalls Bird Dogs, he knew exactly what he wanted, despite any minuses. The plusses far outweigh the minuses, and no state is perfect, and he knew that, but he saw what made himself happy and the balance of real life everyday lived that made it all worth it.

And not all areas have high real estate prices....again, it all depends what location is considered.

It all pretty much comes down to the story of the traveler who asked a local about the people in an area, as to positive or negative main mindset.

Re: Montana info needed [Re: Sharon] #6460797
02/14/19 01:49 AM
02/14/19 01:49 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by Sharon

There are no cities in the state, only larger towns.

I guess we must have very different ideas of city vs. town, lol. I consider Batesville MS with it's population of 7k a city. I consider Southhaven MS, with it's population of 52k a HUGE city, lol. Missoula is even larger than that! And Billings is over double Missoula! If 111k isn't a city, I don't know what is, LOL

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Montana info needed [Re: Hunter4623*] #6460817
02/14/19 02:34 AM
02/14/19 02:34 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Hey Angela,

I consider a city- a sprawling place of industrial buildings, high multi level buildings, just think of REAL cities, New York, Chicago, Detroit , Miami , etc., and the populations therein.

Have you walked the streets of places like that ? I have....and want to end up as Croc Dundee shimmied up the light pole to see above the masses on the sidewalk , to be rescued by none other than New York's finest mounted Po Po smile

Then, consider that in relativity to the world....India , China , Japan, it boggles the mind in sheer human traffic.

The numbers you cited in comparison is small....and they are spread out , in most cases.

I have not checked on the exact numbers , and I don't need to. I see the CITY in other places with their masses as to buildings and people crowding the streets.

A population of 300 can seem overwhelming , in the wrong values endured ....with all the disadvantages experienced , and few of the advantages one wants.

Its all in the quality of presentation, along with population.

Until those towns have the skyscrapers, towering industrial centers , and multi lane interstates , those few places in Montana will remain just that, large towns.

Meantime , Ill settle for a divine population of two.....cozy in the woods , enjoying life to the full wink

Re: Montana info needed [Re: Hunter4623*] #6460842
02/14/19 03:31 AM
02/14/19 03:31 AM
wyoming/ILLINOIS
T
Timothy Offline
trapper
Timothy  Offline
trapper
T

wyoming/ILLINOIS
Wyoming hands down. Bighorn, Mts side of the state. No income tax and close enough to MT. to enjoy no sales tax. Buying a house in this area can be done if you do your home work. I know there was a Newer modular home with a full size cabin next to it with two one room cabins on 30 acres with a quanset style building (large enough to put semi's in with a wood barn) for 250,000. this was twenty miles from a small town of 2000 all at the foot of the bighorn mts. If looking at Wyoming stay away from the west side (Jackson Hole) unless you are a high millionaire. A lot of little towns with homes for sale for the right price just depends on what you want. Lots of critters to shoot.

Re: Montana info needed [Re: Hunter4623*] #6461022
02/14/19 11:02 AM
02/14/19 11:02 AM
idaho
G
grumpa Offline
trapper
grumpa  Offline
trapper
G

idaho
Just so you know, game populations in both North Idaho and NW Montana have practically disappeared compared to a few years ago. And half of California has moved to and taken over both places. Facts are facts. And this years heavy, heavy snow will do in most of what's left.

Last edited by grumpa; 02/14/19 11:04 AM.
Re: Montana info needed [Re: Hunter4623*] #6461436
02/14/19 07:32 PM
02/14/19 07:32 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
Good and bad people everywhere with different views on how life should be. Not a lot of work in MT. and salary is cheap hope you have a job lined up look at the taxes on property its steep for western states. I would look at eastern Mt if you want to get away from the city and its problems.

Re: Montana info needed [Re: Hunter4623*] #6461476
02/14/19 08:15 PM
02/14/19 08:15 PM
MT
B
bbasher Offline
trapper
bbasher  Offline
trapper
B

MT
Bozeman is like a little Denver. It's pretty tough to find what I would call an affordable house, out of town in central Montana.

Re: Montana info needed [Re: grumpa] #6461488
02/14/19 08:23 PM
02/14/19 08:23 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by grumpa
Just so you know, game populations in both North Idaho and NW Montana have practically disappeared compared to a few years ago. And half of California has moved to and taken over both places. Facts are facts. And this years heavy, heavy snow will do in most of what's left.

How come heavy snows and long winters don’t drive the Californians back to their homeland? You think most of them would hate it!

Re: Montana info needed [Re: bbasher] #6461627
02/14/19 10:34 PM
02/14/19 10:34 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted by bbasher
Bozeman is like a little Denver. It's pretty tough to find what I would call an affordable house, out of town in central Montana.

There is a lot of little towns and of course you aren't going to find the beautiful homes the cities have but they are fairly reasonable. IMO You live in these little towns it is like living out in the rural. They are small towns, really nothing there in most, but the essentials.

Like is one >> https://www.zillow.com/homes/stanford-mt_rb/

Last edited by snowy; 02/14/19 10:46 PM.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Montana info needed [Re: Hunter4623*] #6461735
02/15/19 12:04 AM
02/15/19 12:04 AM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana
Best thing I ever did was move here 3 months from now. It I’m sitting on my couch in Sun River as I type. Working on things for the big and final move.

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Re: Montana info needed [Re: Hunter4623*] #6461867
02/15/19 08:51 AM
02/15/19 08:51 AM
NJ
H
Hunter4623* Offline OP
trapper
Hunter4623*  Offline OP
trapper
H

NJ
Thank you all. It’s difficult to scout land from 2000 miles away but you guys are helping immensely. Lots of great info here. Keep it coming

Re: Montana info needed [Re: Hunter4623*] #6461939
02/15/19 09:59 AM
02/15/19 09:59 AM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
The easy answer to your question Grandpa Trapper is airports they fly in on a Friday then leave on Sunday it wasn't to long ago that the Bozeman airport was the busiest in the state for that simple reason.
Kalispell is a very close second, I worked up there for a month and there were for sale signs all over the place where because people visited during the summer loved everything about the area they went home sold out and moved buying a dream home got a job then when there nest egg ran out or they couldn't handle the cloudy or windy weather and yes that's what drove the homesteader's wives crazy way back when they packed up and went back where they came from.
Mood lights are a hot ticket item so some can get their sun light fix.
The tax base goes up for the locals when those wonderful dream homes suddenly sit empty which is just a way of life here in paradise.
Just think this is the sugar coated version ha ha
Allan

Re: Montana info needed [Re: Hunter4623*] #6462086
02/15/19 12:20 PM
02/15/19 12:20 PM
S.C. Montana
M
MTtraps Offline
trapper
MTtraps  Offline
trapper
M

S.C. Montana
Moved to Montana in '81 when I was 23, one of the only things I did as a young twenty-something that I still think was a good idea. Things have changed a bunch since then but it is still worth it to me. Better late than never to make the move. Watch the weather maps of the state if you can, you'll see some areas tend to run colder, Lewistown for instance typically runs colder than we do here between White Sulphur and Harlow. Places in the country unfortunately are now priced for out of state to have a second or third play place, most of what I see selling don't go to folks that want to live in MT, just buy it. But it's a big place, just keep your eyes open.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread