No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Divorce and custody [Re: pcr2] #6478447
03/02/19 02:13 PM
03/02/19 02:13 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Originally Posted by pcr2
tell her up front you are recording the call and it may even help keep things civil.

If you don't, it likely won't be admissible in court.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Divorce and custody [Re: Brett Thomas] #6478449
03/02/19 02:16 PM
03/02/19 02:16 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Some state allow 1 party knowledge and some require both parties to have knowledge to be legal to record a conversation.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Divorce and custody [Re: Brett Thomas] #6478450
03/02/19 02:18 PM
03/02/19 02:18 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
i think if she knows he's taping her,she will be less likely to try and provoke him.

Re: Divorce and custody [Re: Brett Thomas] #6478454
03/02/19 02:25 PM
03/02/19 02:25 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
Your soon to be ex wife is an excellent trapper and has you caught using the child as the lure to control your actions.

First step,NEVER TELL HER ANYTHING as that is like leaving your gloves at a set. Find the best child custody lawyer and pay the bill, because this is just the start of this and you let your attorney do the talking for you as your talking is only going to make things worse.
You are going to have to go through all of the hoops in this from assessing your mental state, your economic situation and what you are posting online. I will repeat that what you are talking about online is going to show up in court.

You will have to explain to your attorney what you want and that means not giving away everything to see your child. That is not a place to start in a custody case, or you are going to end up eating beans out of a can, as your ex vacations on child support with her boyfriend, still using the child as leverage in your not getting to see him. always reported if you are late with a payment or if you get frustrated and do something stupid, because women spend money meant for children to get at their ex husbands as they know that will trigger the ex husband as the child complains they need something for school, which you think support should pay for and it is not, but you have no legal say in the matter as it is support payments. This is why you need a lawyer as your soon to be ex is already playing games.

If you know some people who have divorced, talk to them and get recommendations on their experiences with attorneys, but when this is said and done, your legal point should be joint custody and depending on incomes she may be paying you child support. Understand maintaining your rights is protecting the child, including having it in writing that noe one gets to move out of state. Get in the correct mindset that you are going to be dealing with this for the next 20 years. When you get a girlfriend there will be retaliation, the child will be used as a tool, and you will have paraded before you her boyfriends. Everyone likes to think people are reasonable. That ends a great many times at the I DO and it really hits the fan when it goes to divorce court.

You really need an attorney, because it sounds like you already moved out of the home, and that is the first thing a good attorney will tell a man is not just leave the house as it was your home. From this point on you have your lawyer fix things and deal with paying that bill, as it will save you the huge problems later and even larger misuse of child support. Your best friend in this is the courts. Get things in writing and then the courts protect you and your child.

Re: Divorce and custody [Re: pcr2] #6478455
03/02/19 02:27 PM
03/02/19 02:27 PM
PA
P
panaxman Offline
trapper
panaxman  Offline
trapper
P

PA
I had a long custody battle. My Ex used my kids as weapons, even on scheduled Holidays, I would go to pick them up only to have her say "they are not going..." Terrible for the kids. I would simply return home and write down everything about the incident then let my lawyer know what happened. Her goal was to provoke me. Stay cool whatever happens and lawyer up my friend. My Ex successfully manipulated my kids and I havent seen them for a few years until my daughter came back around. They are 21, 23, 25. Ex is a consumate "victim" and co-dependent as heck, she wants to be their buddy not their parent.

Best of luck, hopefully her friends can talk sense into her and let you have 50/50. Keep an eye out for her drug and booze use, it may help your case. As for you; stay out of trouble and on the high road.

Feel for you brother!

Re: Divorce and custody [Re: Brett Thomas] #6478457
03/02/19 02:28 PM
03/02/19 02:28 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
As mentioned above, legal representation is a must. The most precious thing that will ever be in your life is at stake right? There is no end to what the little guy means to you, no fear then of cost.

Once you have representation sit down and decide exactly what the options are, come to a solid decision on what you want period. Peeing back and forth will just cost money. The age when your son can decide who he wishes to be with will come around in a heartbeat, be a solid father not a spoiler and involve him in all you can in your life.

I would caution you... He comes first before any new woman in your life. Do not force a new mom on your son or a revolving door of dates. Do that when your alone. She will, so show him a higher standard it will foster the ultimate payoff for you one day.

You and your son will do well.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Divorce and custody [Re: Brett Thomas] #6478459
03/02/19 02:34 PM
03/02/19 02:34 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Sorry, a last crucial thing.

Make absolutely sure that if she has physical custody granted partial or full, she cannot move and take your son with her. Many states will do that usually limiting it to staying within your state. Your soon to be ex may meet some guy from who knows where and decide to go there taking the little guy with. Have the restriction in the settlement.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Divorce and custody [Re: Brett Thomas] #6478460
03/02/19 02:36 PM
03/02/19 02:36 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
sorry to hear it Brett
Document EVERYTHING ("dates and quotes") she does to "use" the child as a pawn, as well as anything sneaky/underhanded,etc PROVING she does NOT have the childs best interest in mind.
Hope your lawyer already told you this
It sure helped my buddies and won them custody.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Divorce and custody [Re: Brett Thomas] #6478464
03/02/19 02:42 PM
03/02/19 02:42 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
and remember you have many intelligent people here that have your back and best interest in mind.this forum and its great people have helped me through some stuff i didn't think i could make it through.better counselors and therapists here than any i've ever paid for.

Re: Divorce and custody [Re: Brett Thomas] #6478468
03/02/19 02:48 PM
03/02/19 02:48 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
I would find a good mediator and only see the woman at mediation sessions....if you initiate mediation you show good intentions. The downside is most are liberals and will favor the woman. But it is still a good option. Once a person has show hostile intentions (keeping a father away from a child is a hostile intention imo) why ever meet alone with them? Get the divorce and financial settlement done and focus on getting fair custody time from the courts. Dealing with an angry/irrational woman should be avoided at all costs.

A judge deciding custody issues will want to see you display a genuine interest in what is best for the child. My ex talked my son (at one point) into saying he did not feel safe with me. Which was all about he did not want limits on his behavior and non physical enforcement of those limits. I would go to pick him up with a cop on civil standby and I got documentation. When I finally got before the judge she asked me when was the last time I saw my son(going off the ex's claims that I was a terrible, abusive parent who did not care about my son). I produced the documentation of 10 attempted pick ups.....explained about the difference in parenting style, manipulation of the child to say what he said and that there was no legitimate reason to suspect any type of abuse. I also had letters from teachers who said that I frequently picked up my son after school and he was always happy to see me and I told the judge I was ready to go to any type of evaluation she felt was appropriate......things like that are much better than some recorded conversation..I had to do 7 months of supervised visitation, after the first visitation the staff there said that supervised visitation was not necessary but her lawyers fought that tooth and nail. So I did what I had to do. But in the end even thou I won hands down in court my ability to effectively parent my son was really destroyed. These things really make the kid in charge to a degree....it is a bad situation. If she is hostile at the beginning of the process it will only get worse especially if you win a good amount of custodial time in the courts.

Anyway, that's just some of my experiences in dealing with a similar issue, I wish you the best but you should really prepare for a long hard never ending fight.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Divorce and custody [Re: Brett Thomas] #6478486
03/02/19 03:16 PM
03/02/19 03:16 PM
mn
T
trapperman222 Offline
trapper
trapperman222  Offline
trapper
T

mn
I Know a guy named Guido . Just sayin.

Re: Divorce and custody [Re: adam m] #6478503
03/02/19 03:29 PM
03/02/19 03:29 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Online content
trapper
jbyrd63  Online Content
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by adam m
You don't need a lawyer.

The schedule I mentioned works really well for the parents and children. I know several people with it. You'll get your son for a 5 day stretch then you won't won't see him for 5 days then you get him 2 days off 2 then get 5.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS ADVICE !!!!!!!

TIMES 100 IF she has one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get everything in writing signed by the court. KEEP RECIEPTS !!! Start a journal and record all the times you keep him . TRUST me you will thank me later for that advice.

Been there done that . Friend told me about receipts and journal. Can't come done to "I paid for everything" It will happen sometime. Don't slack on writing stuff down you are going to need it for the next 15 1/2 years....

Re: Divorce and custody [Re: GritGuy] #6478507
03/02/19 03:33 PM
03/02/19 03:33 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Online content
trapper
jbyrd63  Online Content
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by GritGuy
1. You need a custody lawyer, one experienced in setting up workable care and visit's, alternate holiday over nighters and such.

2. Don't listen to any one who say's you do not need a lawyer, things change in a heart beat and the only way to put them back the way they were if one move the other direction with a child is your filed paper work from a court.

3. Be patient, not overbearing, not physical, or threatening, don't do things to make her upset, or be used against you, as it will be.

4. Never give up your custody rights, make sure this is in writing, and who is going to be financially responsible, usually this person is the one the child lives with, not necessarily the one paying for everything.

5. Make sure your rights are not broken when sickness or health is concerned, everything has to be written down and gone over.

6. Just because the court say's so, does not mean one or the other will do as the court say's, you must dedicate your self to daily entries of concern about the child, at your , place when gone and at the other place.

7. Families, friends and new significant others have a tendency to manipulate either spouse, they will visit when it's your turn usually as the other will eventually break away, very few divorce parents keep relations with in laws. Your the one in charge of these things on your side, not any one else.

8. It's real tough on kids, always is and the parents can make it worse, the kids lose track of where they belong, who they are and wonder if they are the cause , bitter divorces make this much worse, some come out of it others never do, be ready for this and keep your communication open from the child's early age and up.

9. Never underestimate the way's of a bitter significant other to do what ever they can to maintain control of the child, at any cost to you or the child, they don't think right and its a war with them.

10, Sit down and make your own list of things you wish to share and not share, be prepared to use second choice's to move things along, compromise wins court case's, it show's the judge your always ready to spend the time and effort to be with your child.
11. When old enough the child will decide where they want to be, this usually happens around the junior or high school years, if you have spent your time well with them they may choose you if living with the other, or the other way, don't try and make the child feel guilty for their choice, they have already gone through that once.

Good Luck.

X2

PLUS REMEBER NO WOMAN IS WORTH going to jail over. So keep your cool. Smile in front of your child and / or judge. She will try to get you so mad that you show a violent side and then you are toast.

Re: Divorce and custody [Re: jbyrd63] #6478531
03/02/19 03:48 PM
03/02/19 03:48 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Originally Posted by adam m
You don't need a lawyer.

The schedule I mentioned works really well for the parents and children. I know several people with it. You'll get your son for a 5 day stretch then you won't won't see him for 5 days then you get him 2 days off 2 then get 5.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS ADVICE !!!!!!!

TIMES 100 IF she has one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get everything in writing signed by the court. KEEP RECIEPTS !!! Start a journal and record all the times you keep him . TRUST me you will thank me later for that advice.

Been there done that . Friend told me about receipts and journal. Can't come done to "I paid for everything" It will happen sometime. Don't slack on writing stuff down you are going to need it for the next 15 1/2 years....

What's wrong with the schedule? It has worked well for those I know with it.

Lawyers, to each their own. It's possible to go through the divorce without them.
Yes document everything.

I have a buddy going through divorce the mother in law was playing dirty which forced him to sell his vehicle to get a lawyer. His wife passed away last week (due to health issues) and now he's out several thousand.
I've known several to go through their divorce without lawyers. If it's civil there's no need for lawyers.

Last edited by adam m; 03/02/19 03:52 PM. Reason: Stupid phone put wrong words
Re: Divorce and custody [Re: Brett Thomas] #6478534
03/02/19 03:55 PM
03/02/19 03:55 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Buddy married a simple but evil Mamas girl that went as far as to accuse him of molesting his own daughter that took years to straighten out and cost him a lot of lawyers fees. The guy never had any legal problems ever just a good guy all around it was nuts and sent on for years. So ya CYA at all turns and get the court papers or you are at the mercy of the Mom and a system that favors the Mother mostly.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Divorce and custody [Re: Brett Thomas] #6478539
03/02/19 03:58 PM
03/02/19 03:58 PM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
It is possible to get divorced without both parties having a lawyer BUT only if both parties are on good terms and there isn't any fighting and bickering and game playing. Amnicable divorces, with children involved, are possible. But they are few and far between.

If your soon to be ex-wife is not being agreeable - get a lawyer.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: Divorce and custody [Re: Brett Thomas] #6478680
03/02/19 07:21 PM
03/02/19 07:21 PM
Sauk County, WI
Patrice Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "
Patrice  Offline
"TMan Feed Gestapo "

Sauk County, WI
I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through, Brett. She sounds like she is using your son as a weapon to hurt you. I would say you should get the best lawyer you can find to fight on your behalf. You should be armed with the best representation and advice from someone who knows the laws in your state.

Lots of good advice on this thread. Be careful and take the high road, but use a good attorney to do battle on your behalf.

Good luck to you! That little guy will never forget catching those fish!

WTA District 9 Director ... Go D9!
Member: WTA, Intertel, Mensa (Trappers ain't stupid.)
Life Member: NRA
Re: Divorce and custody [Re: Brett Thomas] #6478815
03/02/19 09:16 PM
03/02/19 09:16 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
I hope your living in the house with the loan in your name. What about the deed? Just your name on it also?
Good luck. Sounds like your heading in the right direction.
mt

Re: Divorce and custody [Re: Brett Thomas] #6479202
03/03/19 01:25 AM
03/03/19 01:25 AM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
It sounds like you're on the right track Brett and are mostly looking for support. It sucks and my recommendation is stick to your guns, no less than 50/50 custody. Good luck brother.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Divorce and custody [Re: trapperman222] #6479217
03/03/19 02:02 AM
03/03/19 02:02 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by trapperman222
I Know a guy named Guido . Just sayin.

As poorly as many women act, it is amazing that more exhusbands don't have their exwives whacked. It would be much cheaper, easier and less of an emotional strain.

People need to realize that the petty fighting is devastating for the children. The children see an attack on either parent by the other as proof that they themselves are just as bad the parent being attacked.

Keith

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread