No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: Duckstick80] #6482604
03/06/19 11:35 AM
03/06/19 11:35 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Yep, seen that same thing many time, thanks for the pictures. A warden told that a younger lion may kill for the amusement/trill of the hunt and kill and I can see where they can make it a game and fun. As far as not eating them, a lot of times they get chased out of the area or been pushed on and they kill again. This has been what the experts have told me. If there is something to kill they will kill more then not kill especially in a elk yard or a deer yard in the winter.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: Duckstick80] #6482606
03/06/19 11:36 AM
03/06/19 11:36 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
There was a Squatch here a couple years that had killed 50 deer and covered them with straw bales to keep them from freezing. He was old and his teeth were bad so he couldn't eat them frozen. He found a lady friend and moved on though. True story. Don't call BS on me or I'll be mad to ya.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: Osky] #6482623
03/06/19 11:46 AM
03/06/19 11:46 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
[quote=Osky
Wanna borrow some wolves?

Osky[/quote]

Sure send them down my way, way too many deer.
They can't kill enough of them.

Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: Duckstick80] #6482637
03/06/19 11:57 AM
03/06/19 11:57 AM
ND
grumley701 Offline
trapper
grumley701  Offline
trapper

ND
I'll bet that ND Game & Fish checked everyone of those deer for bullet holes...If it's a BS story the truth will come out.

Pure Blood
Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: Duckstick80] #6482643
03/06/19 12:05 PM
03/06/19 12:05 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
I sure wish they would let me Dirty...

I have hunted and been on chases for the big cats, guided and shot control around them but I have a lot to learn about them so keep that in mind when I say the bait piles I put out here never get covered by lynx or bobcats that visit. Their natural kills I find are covered. The photo of the young lady next to the cow elk that is covered has a comment it may be scavenged. Do you fellows out there find it common they cover non kills?

I ask because we are getting the big cats around here now.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: Yes sir] #6482669
03/06/19 12:25 PM
03/06/19 12:25 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by Castormound
Armchair experts.

X2 I find it humorous when people have little experience on subject argue with people who have seen it first hand.

It happens all the time and you can't argue with them.

I have not witnessed surplus killing but I have quite a few friends that run lions and they have.I know of several incidents where lions have done this with bighorn sheep.They can figure out very quickly if an animal were gunshot.

Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: Yes sir] #6482679
03/06/19 12:46 PM
03/06/19 12:46 PM
MN
Y
yukonal Offline
trapper
yukonal  Offline
trapper
Y

MN
Originally Posted by Castormound
Armchair experts.

X2 I find it humorous when people have little experience on subject argue with people who have seen it first hand.

Agreed. Why would a farmer leave deer to rot on his hay pile?

Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: Osky] #6482685
03/06/19 12:50 PM
03/06/19 12:50 PM
Montana
J
J. Brooks Offline
trapper
J. Brooks  Offline
trapper
J

Montana
Originally Posted by Osky
I sure wish they would let me Dirty...

I have hunted and been on chases for the big cats, guided and shot control around them but I have a lot to learn about them so keep that in mind when I say the bait piles I put out here never get covered by lynx or bobcats that visit. Their natural kills I find are covered. The photo of the young lady next to the cow elk that is covered has a comment it may be scavenged. Do you fellows out there find it common they cover non kills?

I ask because we are getting the big cats around here now.

Osky

I would think it odd that they would cover a non-kill but can't say for sure. I mentioned it may have been scavenged because it had snowed that night and the lion covered it after the snow. The elk was stinky which I would not expect on a fresh kill in cold temps. It is possible that it killed it earlier and then re-covered it after eating on it. The paunch was exposed but not much consumed. The day we found the carcass there was a female on it that we ran but ran out of daylight before we caught her. The next time we went up (a couple weeks later) there was a male and female track both on the carcass. I think the male was mostly interested in the female as it looked like his track was in hers on the trail leading into and out of the carcass. I can't even say for sure if he fed on the carcass but his belly looked pretty full when the guy picked it up for pics. They left on the same trail, luckily the dogs stayed with the Tom.

I went up two weeks ago and there isn't much left but there was a 1-2 day old lion track that had come in and spent a little time there before moving out. It has never been re-covered as completely as it was when we first found it.

Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: Duckstick80] #6482882
03/06/19 04:37 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Pretty sure I've seen that pic of the guy holding the cat several times over the last couple of years.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: Duckstick80] #6482884
ID
O
Ole Offline
trapper
Ole  Offline
trapper
O

ID
A statement made was that predators kill more than they can eat at one time, I. e., surplus killing. While this may happen occasionally in odd circumstances this doesn't make sense for long term survivability of any predator species. Predator populations, unless hunted severely, generally change with prey abundance.

Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: Ole] #6482904
03/06/19 05:11 PM
03/06/19 05:11 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by Ole
A statement made was that predators kill more than they can eat at one time, I. e., surplus killing. While this may happen occasionally in odd circumstances this doesn't make sense for long term survivability of any predator species. Predator populations, unless hunted severely, generally change with prey abundance.

I can comment from experience. 25 years ago or so I flew some winter routes with a friend who was a company pilot for a company in the territories. We went over a lake with 19 dead caribou scattered in the deep snow on the ice. Wolves had done it. He told me he and other pilots had seen kill sites before and that they were not rare. The story was clear in the snow and very few looked as if they had been torn open or eaten on or so we could see from a low pass of 6-700 feet or so.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: Duckstick80] #6482995
03/06/19 07:24 PM
03/06/19 07:24 PM
Hill City,Mn.
R
Rally Offline
trapper
Rally  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City,Mn.
Don't know much about lions, but I've seen bobcat stack beaver carcass' like that before, at locations where I was required to leave them onsite.

If you look close at one of deers front legs, you can see it has been broken and twisted. The lion may have killed those deer, but it may have been salvaging road kills also.
If you also look at the side of that bale, you can see where the cat was clawing hay out of it to cover the deer with. Makes sense it would make a better cover material than snow, for easier access later.

Last edited by Rally; 03/06/19 07:27 PM.

Keep your boots dry
Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: J. Brooks] #6483045
03/06/19 08:23 PM
03/06/19 08:23 PM
Carrington, North Dakota
B
bwilly Offline
trapper
bwilly  Offline
trapper
B

Carrington, North Dakota
Look at the hay bales. A lion likes to cover its kills, the bales are neatly swiped out with very sharp claws, I guarantee you you can't do that with a pitch fork!

Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: Duckstick80] #6483069
03/06/19 08:48 PM
03/06/19 08:48 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Online content
trapper
backroadsarcher  Online Content
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
If this is all over the media I am sure the DNR has checked it over already. It sure is a big cat. Wow! Watch the papers if something is fishy about it, something will turn up eventually. There is to many deer to not see what really happened.JMO

Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: Duckstick80] #6483169
03/06/19 10:33 PM
03/06/19 10:33 PM
NORTH DAKOTA
Duckstick80 Offline OP
trapper
Happy Birthday Duckstick80  Offline OP
trapper

NORTH DAKOTA
The lion left sign where he killed deer in the snow and drug them to the bale pile.

[Linked Image]

Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: Yes sir] #6483184
03/06/19 10:46 PM
03/06/19 10:46 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
I find it odd that someone who was poaching deer would let someone on the property that might take pics and see the evidence. Ans also why kill the lion if you want the deer gone.

The deer are ruining his hay. The lion is a threat to his livestock. Kill them all, he says.

Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: Duckstick80] #6483206
03/06/19 11:09 PM
03/06/19 11:09 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
And the cycle of life continues.

Kenneth schoening
Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: Ole] #6483324
03/07/19 03:31 AM
03/07/19 03:31 AM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
Originally Posted by Ole

That’s a beatiful theory that bunny huggers love, which has been proven completely false by thousands of eye-witness accounts, like Osky and many others on this site.
Let me rephrase the question I asked previously: if you come across free or cheap, easy to get food, like a blowout sale at the grocery store on a staple food you’ll eat every day, do you only take 1 meal’s worth, planning to come all the way back to the store the next day and hope there’s some left? Of course not. Nether do predators. Easy groceries = stock up. We all do it.

Predator populations follow prey abundance because once they’ve decimated the prey they move on, starve or cannibalize. What did you think, that wild predators practice sustainable harvest and birth control or something?? The natural cycle is a viscous cycle. Hunting and trapping has the ability to “take the edges off” the cycle... when we’re allowed to do it.

Last edited by KenaiKid; 03/07/19 03:40 AM.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: Duckstick80] #6483345
03/07/19 07:00 AM
03/07/19 07:00 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks

knew a guy in Colorado that was trying to get deer fence to put on his hay. Fish and Game was being slow about bringing it, He put a sign at the end of his driveway that said poachers welcome here. he got that fence a couple days later

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Mountain lion stacking up deer beside a bale pile [Re: KenaiKid] #6483372
03/07/19 08:02 AM
03/07/19 08:02 AM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
Originally Posted by KenaiKid
That’s a beatiful theory that bunny huggers love, which has been proven completely false by thousands of eye-witness accounts, like Osky and many others on this site.
Let me rephrase the question I asked previously: if you come across free or cheap, easy to get food, like a blowout sale at the grocery store on a staple food you’ll eat every day, do you only take 1 meal’s worth, planning to come all the way back to the store the next day and hope there’s some left? Of course not. Nether do predators. Easy groceries = stock up. We all do it.

Predator populations follow prey abundance because once they’ve decimated the prey they move on, starve or cannibalize. What did you think, that wild predators practice sustainable harvest and birth control or something?? The natural cycle is a viscous cycle. Hunting and trapping has the ability to “take the edges off” the cycle... when we’re allowed to do it.

Yup. Well said.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread