No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bass Pro/Cabelas does it again! [Re: Gary Benson] #6485539
03/09/19 07:57 AM
03/09/19 07:57 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Location, location, location...and store performance.
For a specialty buge box store like that you need a huge population base to support sales at sufficient level to turn the lights on and generate a profit.
The closest cabelas to me is about an hour away. Scheels is 15 minutes away. I go to scheels for fishing stuff and ammo. I order trapping stuff from the Cavens folks in MN. I actually save on ordering from them vs buying at box store markup. I'm not much of a cabelas shopping base but only because I dont make it up to Omaha often. When I do go up there, I like going to cabelas it's a cool guy place to walk around in. But I dont usually buy much there. The lot is always full when I do go so others must be a better shopping population base than I am.
Thats just how big box stores make it or dont make it. Sales performance and a targeted population center.
When the merger occurred and headquarters were closed, it was in my opinion just a matter of time before Sydney retail closed too.
Jury is still out whether cabelas in Omaha vs bass pro shops just across river a short 20 minute drive to east both remain open. I see one of those two going away someday. But maybe not, too. Lots of population in that area and both just off the interstate.
It's all about the sales...

Now...what's Sydney going to do with that big old lot and retail space once vacated? That's a real challenge ahead. I'm not sure who will buy that, but they might get it for a song.

Jim

Last edited by jabNE; 03/09/19 08:03 AM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Bass Pro/Cabelas does it again! [Re: Gary Benson] #6485549
03/09/19 08:30 AM
03/09/19 08:30 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline OP
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline OP
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I've heard that BassPro has generously offered space in the empty headquarters office building to locals trying to keep their head above water.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Bass Pro/Cabelas does it again! [Re: BigBob] #6485636
03/09/19 10:05 AM
03/09/19 10:05 AM
Iowa
B
beeman Offline
trapper
beeman  Offline
trapper
B

Iowa
Originally Posted by BigBob
Also, any Cabelas cash back bucks you have will (hopefully) be transferred to the BP card and the Cabelas card will be worthless after 1 Apr.

I have not heard of this happening. Do you have a link to verify what you say?

Re: Bass Pro/Cabelas does it again! [Re: tjm] #6485752
03/09/19 11:28 AM
03/09/19 11:28 AM
N. W. MISSOURI
T
TRAPPER-ED Offline
trapper
TRAPPER-ED  Offline
trapper
T

N. W. MISSOURI
Originally Posted by tjm
Why do people keep talking about Cabelas'?
it no longer exists. All those Neb. job loses are the fault of former Cabelas management, who sold out.

they were all old ,there kids did not want any thing to do with it , they were already rich

50 + years of trapping & some fur buying and i still know nothing.
Re: Bass Pro/Cabelas does it again! [Re: jabNE] #6485778
03/09/19 11:49 AM
03/09/19 11:49 AM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
Originally Posted by jabNE
Location, location, location...and store performance.
For a specialty buge box store like that you need a huge population base to support sales at sufficient level to turn the lights on and generate a profit.
The closest cabelas to me is about an hour away. Scheels is 15 minutes away. I go to scheels for fishing stuff and ammo. I order trapping stuff from the Cavens folks in MN. I actually save on ordering from them vs buying at box store markup. I'm not much of a cabelas shopping base but only because I dont make it up to Omaha often. When I do go up there, I like going to cabelas it's a cool guy place to walk around in. But I dont usually buy much there. The lot is always full when I do go so others must be a better shopping population base than I am.
Thats just how big box stores make it or dont make it. Sales performance and a targeted population center.
When the merger occurred and headquarters were closed, it was in my opinion just a matter of time before Sydney retail closed too.
Jury is still out whether cabelas in Omaha vs bass pro shops just across river a short 20 minute drive to east both remain open. I see one of those two going away someday. But maybe not, too. Lots of population in that area and both just off the interstate.
It's all about the sales...

Now...what's Sydney going to do with that big old lot and retail space once vacated? That's a real challenge ahead. I'm not sure who will buy that, but they might get it for a s
Jim

Great post Jim. It is unfortunate Cabelas is no longer around. But in a free market world some stores start up and thrive, some do great for a long time, and some just get into trouble..... be it by bad management or just a changing situation in regard for their product. That's the way it is in an ever changing world. I am sure it was bad for some when the automobile came on the scene. Horse breeders and harness makers could not survive. Jobs were lost. But people woke up the next day and pulled their boots on and figured out how to survive. Many thrived again doing something else. Seems like history repeats all the time. The wise man..... rather than fight to hang on to the past..... figures out a way to go on into the future. Lots of thing ain't fair in this world. One should ask "is it productive to hang on a past were it just didn't work"? Cabelas is gone..... Bass Pro has to survive. They are doing what they feel is the right way. Don't like it..... do what you have to do, but respect the other man's choice.

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: Bass Pro/Cabelas does it again! [Re: Gary Benson] #6485817
03/09/19 12:17 PM
03/09/19 12:17 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Originally Posted by trapperkeck
When will you guys figure out, business ain't about making folks happy. It's about making money! If you think it is about anything else, you have never owned a business.

I always thought it was a good idea to keep customers happy! Always worked well for me.

For the record, I was making a funny. wink

"The voice of reason!"
Re: Bass Pro/Cabelas does it again! [Re: Gary Benson] #6485869
03/09/19 01:20 PM
03/09/19 01:20 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L