No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Post spacing for porch roof ? [Re: waggler] #6500544
03/25/19 11:16 AM
03/25/19 11:16 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by waggler
Originally Posted by tjm
Doesn't mater what size the posts are the spacing is governed by beam size and roof load, roof slope plays a part in the loading of the beam.

Never place concrete next to wood.

Rule of thumb, a beam can span about one foot for every inch of depth. 2x12 doubled can span 12' normally. 2x4 doubled can span 4' etc. with just rafter load.

4x4 don't make good posts because if they are over 6' tall they will bend/bow under load. 6x6 is preferable and when looking at the end try to pick post timber that has the heart centered in the post- it will not warp/bow as bad (if at all ) as a post with heart on one side and sap on the other.

Refer to this for starters. Then look at your local codes for snow and wind load etc. Of utmost importance is your header size and the load on the header.
Post spacing is immaterial unless you know these other factors.

Also, you can find a span calculator online that will allow you to input snow & wind load parameters. You didn't mention what sort of member you will be using as a header. A 4"x10" is pretty standard depending on the span. A garage door header ...say 4"x14 or 16" will allow you a larger clear span. Also check out www.simpsonstrongtie.com. Lots of handy hardware available to make things easier and more secure.

Be sure you use pressure treated material for anything in contact with the soil or concrete

Mean As Nails
Re: Post spacing for porch roof ? [Re: kyron4] #6500653
03/25/19 12:49 PM
03/25/19 12:49 PM
Shenandoah County, VA
L
l1ranger Offline
trapper
l1ranger  Offline
trapper
L

Shenandoah County, VA
i would check codes and permits - unless you are specifically skpping permits - but around here, getting found without a permit is a mean and nasty process that usually costs 2 to 3x in the long run.

post spacing is based on beam (header size)

header size is based on load from roof and rafters

most of this info is sitting in charts in code books

I'd also skip the 4x4s for anyting taller than raling

Josh
Re: Post spacing for porch roof ? [Re: kyron4] #6500660
03/25/19 12:53 PM
03/25/19 12:53 PM
MISSOURI,Laclede Co
F
farmnhunt Offline
trapper
farmnhunt  Offline
trapper
F

MISSOURI,Laclede Co
I'm so glad I live where there is not a code for everything. In rural Mo. If your stupid enough to build it and live in it, let Darwin take its course.

Re: Post spacing for porch roof ? [Re: kyron4] #6500670
03/25/19 01:04 PM
03/25/19 01:04 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Supposed to get permission where i live now but i never have. Doubt i ever will either

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread