Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Bait making question. Why bury it?? #6503928
03/28/19 08:18 PM
03/28/19 08:18 PM
tennessee
C
clintp1971 Offline OP
trapper
clintp1971  Offline OP
trapper
C

tennessee
Hey everyone, I’m gonna be making some bait this year and I have a couple questions. I read a lot about people burying their bait for a period of time. Why do you do this? Avoiding sunlight? Temperature? Also
Do you leave the lid loose during this process, to help with gasses and expansion? Any info is appreciated.

Re: Bait making question. Why bury it?? [Re: clintp1971] #6504057
03/28/19 11:26 PM
03/28/19 11:26 PM
N.C MO
TONY.F Offline
trapper
Happy Birthday TONY.F  Offline
trapper

N.C MO
I believe its the constant low slow temp taint. I know baits ive tainted in a frig has a deeper meat smell than that ive left in containers with constant temp changes. In the frig it takes on a sweeter smell left out has a sharp taint smell.When im kind of after a more edible smell it goes in the frig a loud rolling/urinating smell the elements. That's the fun part of making your own creations you can capitalize on what works best on the critters in your area. In addition flys will not hamper you as bad in the ground. And yes you will still need to vent but in a fashion ground water can not breech your containers

Last edited by TONY.F; 03/28/19 11:28 PM.

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Re: Bait making question. Why bury it?? [Re: clintp1971] #6504125
03/29/19 06:22 AM
03/29/19 06:22 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I don't think it makes a lot of difference whether you taint fast in summer heat or a LITTLE slower by burying it. So long as you stop it at the same place or let it rot completely down till it stops on its own. I prefer to just ler er rip in the heat then stop it. I like to let the stabilized bait sit till it looses that rotten smell. Takes about a year. Then spice it up. You don't have to do it that way it will work spiced up as soon as you put the fix on it. IMO its not quite as good.

I do it in a five gallon bucket. Glue one of these in the lid to keep flies out and vent the bucket. You can buy them at Walmart
https://www.ebay.com/itm/132978623494

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Bait making question. Why bury it?? [Re: clintp1971] #6504210
03/29/19 08:47 AM
03/29/19 08:47 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
JMO, burying and all them other secrets aren't necessary if you're basing the end result on getting better responses from the target animal vs just letting the bait taint in a bucket somewhere else. It would be a real pita to dig up your bait and mix it periodically to ensure you get a thorough taint through out the base or a semi taint due to layering, again all in how the individual wants the end result. I would highly recommend not training your nose to a particular odor until the animals you are after respond to what you are offering. Your formula and the offerings to the target animal is a lot more important than whether or not a bait was buried or left in the sun or any other "top secret" lab or process. JMO Once you start adding all your magic callings to the bait it's no longer a natural bait, it is more a bait/lure combo.

The objective is getting the animals there and keeping them interested while triggering different responses, how you get there is up to you. If the bait and lure you are offering is getting the animals there and you're visiting empty traps, it isn't the bait or ingredients, it's the trapper.

When I make bait and lure I shoot for a call, strong digging responses along with rolling and rubbing or eating once it's dug up. I don't want any animal if possible to pass on it once it's dug up.

Starts out with testing, no magic.

[Linked Image]

What type of response is given when the bait is down a hole?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

How does the animal respond to bait/lure when it's smeared on an object?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Calling the animal in and once the animal is there, how effective is the bait to pull it in a direction you desire if not under a call.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Bait making question. Why bury it?? [Re: clintp1971] #6504213
03/29/19 08:51 AM
03/29/19 08:51 AM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks
Good to see you have your head screwed on straight.

Re: Bait making question. Why bury it?? [Re: clintp1971] #6504231
03/29/19 09:06 AM
03/29/19 09:06 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
lol, I seem to think so, no need in complicating something that is very easy to do if you put the time and effort into really getting to know the animals you are after or trying to entice. I would assume that these bottles have bases from "expert" makers that have aged for X years. When them bottles aren't calling in them animals as they should... what's the answer? Buy another bottle and hope that one works? Or go out and buy a chemistry set to measure down to the half drop of an ingredient because that could be the problem?? lol Crazy.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Bait making question. Why bury it?? [Re: danny clifton] #6504294
03/29/19 10:19 AM
03/29/19 10:19 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I don't think it makes a lot of difference whether you taint fast in summer heat or a LITTLE slower by burying it. Glue one of these in the lid to keep flies out and vent the bucket. You can buy them at Walmart
https://www.ebay.com/itm/132978623494

^^Agreed, and I use a dead freezer, with an indoor/outdoor thermometer run backwards so I can see the temp inside without opening the lid. If I need heat, I plug in the 40 watt light bulb inside for a bit.
Since I taint in a hay loft, I don't need to keep water out, IF NOT, I'd vent out the side bout 2" from the top.
Putting my vent in the recess, I can still stack them if needed.

Here's the aquarium airstone epoxied in place in a Gamma lid which screws on/off 5 gallon buckets. It is $100 worth of convenience for $6. I like to stir meat at least every other day. Especially after adding SB and MP and bait solutions.
[Linked Image]

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Bait making question. Why bury it?? [Re: clintp1971] #6504317
03/29/19 10:53 AM
03/29/19 10:53 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Even tho there is a gasket on the ABOVE set up, I still need to spray bug killer around the edge before opening, sadly.
Here's a pic of the $3 bulb/heater holder. (the SAME setup yer sposd to use in your gun safes/cabinets to keep them dry!..just use lower watt and run all the time)
[Linked Image]

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Bait making question. Why bury it?? [Re: clintp1971] #6504323
03/29/19 11:01 AM
03/29/19 11:01 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Try different things and test them. That's only way you will know what works best. Everyone has their theories based on their own experience from what works for them. That's what I enjoy about this forum is everyone sharing what works for them in an effort to help us beginners.

Re: Bait making question. Why bury it?? [Re: clintp1971] #6504719
03/29/19 06:40 PM
03/29/19 06:40 PM
tennessee
C
clintp1971 Offline OP
trapper
clintp1971  Offline OP
trapper
C

tennessee
Thanks everyone. I have lots of beaver, bobcat, and deer meat. I’m just looking for the best way to utilize it. Gonna try a few different things. TDHP, nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

Re: Bait making question. Why bury it?? [Re: clintp1971] #6505095
03/29/19 11:35 PM
03/29/19 11:35 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
If it has not been addressed, burying bait has several benefits.

No flies.
The stink is dampened.
Dogs do not run off with the jars.
The soil protects the process from the effects of various light wave lengths which spoil the stew.

A plastic container with a lid helps keeps things clean, but is more digging. It sounds obvious, but choose a location which will not flood, get driven over or stomped on (bale on top helps) and even though soil insulates and is a constant temperature, it should be in the shade, as if you have 100 degree spell it would increase the heat.

I hope that helps.

Re: Bait making question. Why bury it?? [Re: clintp1971] #6505213
03/30/19 06:04 AM
03/30/19 06:04 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
there are many ways to make bait, How one person does it compared to another person is nothing more than method, The key is be it, fast slow, open or buried, is do it the same way every time. I bury mine on some and open on others. Star hit on a few of the reason I will bury the material, when I am breaking down all the way. reason #1 odor Also the temp as has already been stated. temp is controlled and I know what should be, don't have to watch it as close. The end result to match the next batch end result has to be done the same way or there will be variations. Maybe they matter, maybe they don't, The animal will tell you that, one thing for sure the customer will tell you what your bait was last time compared to what they see now. LOL

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Bait making question. Why bury it?? [Re: clintp1971] #6505229
03/30/19 06:47 AM
03/30/19 06:47 AM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
I have a tub of cheap peat moss and I “bury” my bait in that. Much easier to dig up

Re: Bait making question. Why bury it?? [Re: clintp1971] #6506651
03/31/19 01:48 PM
03/31/19 01:48 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I would need a back hoe to dig and unearth dozens of buckets. For small batches and taking advantage of the ground temps being fairly constant if you get below the surface temperature effect you can get by with that practice.

I age indoors for glands and baits both. Outdoors is used for working fish oil.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91