No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
And she thinks we're just fishing.... #6518289
04/14/19 07:24 PM
04/14/19 07:24 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
We bought a pasture about three years ago and it's always been a dream of mine to have a place to call ours. There were two stock ponds on the pasture one of which was about three acres but inches deep. This pond the guy that owned the pasture before us dug down till he hit the natural spring below. I'm hoping that's enough to keep it from drying up but it had me nervous about two years ago when it was widdling away. Looking at the pond in the pictures it isn't too big but it was nearly 10 feet down dried up when the rains combined with the spring to fill it back to it's brim.

Well three years ago we started with minnows and bluegill. I don't remember the exact numbers but we tried to make it so that we could get a steady supply of bait fish for some larger fish to make it. About a year and a half ago we dumped 100 very small channel catfish in the pond 3-4 inches a piece. This was probably the roughest winter we've had for a while and the pond was froze solid and covered by quite a bit of snow throughout the year. I wasn't sure if anything made it through. If there's one thing I've done well in my life it's getting this little girl in the outdoors. She's been my trapping buddy since the day she could walk when she's not in school and any time I ask to go fishing she beats me to the truck.

I remember back when I was a kid fishing with my dad as he showed me "deer sidewalks" which eventually peaked my interest in tracking animals in general. I spent a majority of my summers as a kid hauling a bucket full of bait and one fishing pole to the river by bike. My parents never worried where I was they knew I'd be home right after the last round of bites right before dark. I never got into the typical issues that a lot of people seem to have these days with kids as I was carrying a .22 pistol by the time I was 12 and stalking any animal I could get my hands on without getting into too much trouble (my grandmother almost murdered me a few times when her bluebirds fell over in her tree line). My dad stopped out before doing cattle chores this morning and enjoyed some time with us in the middle of nowhere doing nothing.

She's got a little brother that's showing quite a bit of interest in the outdoors as well, but he's still in the stage where I pack him every time he goes along. I was anxious to see what had made it in the pond over the last three years as we've tried to build something we could take the kids to enjoy. I was rather impressed at this little girl's patience as she would tell me as she whispered that's just the wind dad, I moved it a little bit there, and then....I didn't move that at all! That's a fish! She may have told me a number of times to "shhhhh the fish can hear you talking."

We weren't disappointed the bites came often and the channels have at least tripled in size for the most part. They don't look like much till you put a 7 year old behind the wheel and a small fishing pole. She fought those fish with everything she had today and I think she's going to turn out just fine.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: And she thinks we're just fishing.... [Re: WadeRyan] #6518299
04/14/19 07:37 PM
04/14/19 07:37 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Online content
trapper
bucksnbears  Online Content
trapper
B

western mn
Great story overall!
Very well done. smile

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: And she thinks we're just fishing.... [Re: WadeRyan] #6518302
04/14/19 07:39 PM
04/14/19 07:39 PM
PA
R
ringtail 60 Offline
trapper
ringtail 60  Offline
trapper
R

PA
Great memories being made. Thanks for sharing.

Re: And she thinks we're just fishing.... [Re: WadeRyan] #6518313
04/14/19 07:48 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
At least you don’t have to worry about riding your bike up any hills.....

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: And she thinks we're just fishing.... [Re: WadeRyan] #6518314
East Ohio
Jeff Offline
trapper
Jeff  Offline
trapper

East Ohio
Priceless memories for sure.

Started my son and daughter when they were 3 and 4 years old...now there 29 and 35 and they still fish.

I started taking my granddaughter when she was 3 also and she is 12 now...loves to go fishing with her pap.

A few pics to enjoy.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Speedy Catch Wildlife Service

Member OSTA-NTA-NRA

Re: And she thinks we're just fishing.... [Re: WadeRyan] #6518320
04/14/19 07:54 PM
04/14/19 07:54 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Yup, I think these young ladies ARE turning out out just fine.
Must have terrific dads.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: And she thinks we're just fishing.... [Re: WadeRyan] #6518335
04/14/19 08:06 PM
04/14/19 08:06 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Very nice! Congrats to all parents who are doing it right.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: And she thinks we're just fishing.... [Re: WadeRyan] #6518337
04/14/19 08:08 PM
04/14/19 08:08 PM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
that's great

Vietnam--1967 46th. Const./Combat Engineers

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"
Re: And she thinks we're just fishing.... [Re: WadeRyan] #6518365
04/14/19 08:44 PM
04/14/19 08:44 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Jeff it sure doesn't hurt if they've got a good papa to keep them going. The first picture with her glasses were because before we could start fishing she had to shoot her rifle she got from papa for Christmas. Today was the first descent day since then I've been around to get her out to shoot it. She had to learn about safety before she could let it rip.

Speaking of Papa got to give the guy credit he's been hauling her around just as much if not more than I have. Here's a picture of them creek hopping one morning after the rain. I guess now that we have a pond to call our own it's a little more fun then just jumping bridge to bridge. This was about a year ago. She's growing up fast.

[Linked Image]

Since she turned four she's been his right hand man when it comes to the cattle. She got off at noon everyday for a year but her education didn't end there. She spent hours upon hours taking care of the cows with him. She especially loves calving season when they get to ride in the truck with them. She sings to them and pets them in the cab.

[Linked Image]

She even spent enough time with the calves they'd let her walk right up and walk among them in the feedlot before they went to the pastures for the summer.

[Linked Image]

Here was one day they dropped a load of cattle on the pasture. Looking back I believe she was 5 at the time. Not too many kids get to experience that anymore.

[Linked Image]

Re: And she thinks we're just fishing.... [Re: WadeRyan] #6518389
04/14/19 09:04 PM
04/14/19 09:04 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Online content
trapper
Posco  Online Content
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
My wife and I both suffered neglect and abuse as kids and we swore we'd never subject our kids to what we experienced growing up. We didn't. I cherished my kids, still do and would give my good arm to do it all over again. Enjoy every minute of it, it will be gone in a blink.

My oldest (28) on a bear hunt. She connected that night. My youngest (25) tending beaver traps with me.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: And she thinks we're just fishing.... [Re: WadeRyan] #6518420
04/14/19 09:27 PM
04/14/19 09:27 PM
Indiana Linton-Greene County
Matt(rat killer) Offline
trapper
Matt(rat killer)  Offline
trapper

Indiana Linton-Greene County
There is no doubt Wade that you & K are doing it right. I’ve seen it first hand. When I’ve been there trapping with you and she rode alongside us in the truck excited as can be when you had caught a bobcat & coon. I’ve said before great kids, family & friends I was fortunate enough to have met.
We build memories with our kids every chance we get in the great outdoors. I think those are the ones that they will remember and cherish the most.

Re: And she thinks we're just fishing.... [Re: WadeRyan] #6518510
04/14/19 11:01 PM
04/14/19 11:01 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Some really cute stuff there !!

Mean As Nails
Re: And she thinks we're just fishing.... [Re: WadeRyan] #6518599
04/15/19 07:13 AM
04/15/19 07:13 AM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
Good reminder there's still a lot of good in this country. It's worth fighting for.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Re: And she thinks we're just fishing.... [Re: WadeRyan] #6518614
04/15/19 07:31 AM
04/15/19 07:31 AM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
Great thread.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: And she thinks we're just fishing.... [Re: WadeRyan] #6518619
04/15/19 07:37 AM
04/15/19 07:37 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
cool

Re: And she thinks we're just fishing.... [Re: WadeRyan] #6518625
04/15/19 08:12 AM
04/15/19 08:12 AM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Your title for this thread is perfect .You will ever regret the time spent with young kids. You may forget some of the details of your outings as time goes on .But you are creating memories that they will never forget . Thanks for posting

Re: And she thinks we're just fishing.... [Re: WadeRyan] #6518917
04/15/19 04:04 PM
04/15/19 04:04 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Great family pictures. If the whole country was like this...………...

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: And she thinks we're just fishing.... [Re: w side rd 151] #6520342
04/17/19 07:26 PM
04/17/19 07:26 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by w side rd 151
Your title for this thread is perfect .You will ever regret the time spent with young kids. You may forget some of the details of your outings as time goes on .But you are creating memories that they will never forget . Thanks for posting

That's the truth. I remember some very fond memories hunting and fishing with my father. He drove truck for 35 years. Sometimes he'd drive all night without sleep so he could make it home for opening morning of deer season, and he'd have a box of groceries waiting for me in the truck to keep me quiet. At the time it was just another day in the life of a kid that loved the outdoors, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I think I'm going to take the three year old down there this weekend if the weather permits, and let him have a run on the fish. See what he does. He already told me we could go fishing but we can't catch sharks. I think he's safe.

Re: And she thinks we're just fishing.... [Re: WadeRyan] #6520350
04/17/19 07:40 PM
04/17/19 07:40 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by WadeRyan
Originally Posted by w side rd 151

That's the truth. I remember some very fond memories hunting and fishing with my father. He drove truck for 35 years. Sometimes he'd drive all night without sleep so he could make it home for opening morning of deer season, and he'd have a box of groceries waiting for me in the truck to keep me quiet. At the time it was just another day in the life of a kid that loved the outdoors, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I think I'm going to take the three year old down there this weekend if the weather permits, and let him have a run on the fish. See what he does. He already told me we could go fishing but we can't catch sharks. I think he's safe.

Boy oh boy would I ever be looking to find an inflatable shark and have some creative surprise fun this weekend....

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread