No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Current SD bounty results [Re: Law Dog] #6532126
05/05/19 07:16 PM
05/05/19 07:16 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
The state will iron out the needed issues as this was the first year and it is always unpredictable how humans will respond to new venues and now there is knowledge of what to change and improve etc.

As to the dumping there could be prescribed or assigned places that bounty hunters and other could use. If one is really concerned about stopping the dumping one can require the carcass to be brought in and the tail removed. A chip could be put in the carcass and that will make disposal easily traceable if dumping is that big of a deal.

Bryce

Re: Current SD bounty results [Re: Law Dog] #6532138
05/05/19 07:41 PM
05/05/19 07:41 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Originally Posted by Phil Nichols
How do a few thousand raccoon killed make a difference when the population is in the hundreds of thousands?

Really how many would be females that would pup and then what would you have then and the next year?

The reason this is a wonderful idea from Governor Noem, is that for the most part this will never be longliners or skimmers in trapping, who take the cream and move on. The thousand animals taken so far are creating pockets where no predators will be present for the summer. Pockets mean reared birds.

I was speaking to an ADC out of that state and he stated that by midsummer the tallies would pick up with the females and the young ones moving around. For those who think this was just males harvested, this is South Dakota and it was snowing not that long ago. Most animals were just coming out of hibernation, and those trapping are hitting the hibernation sites where the fur was concentrated, and that means dens,and translates to females.

Nothing is perfect in this. The ADC trappers welcome it, as this will take the burden off of them in trash calls. They can concentrate on beaver and yotes. That is what the ADC was telling me was his project. If poor people are picking up 10 bucks from road kill, so be it, as just like Reagan, that money will be spent in the local community. That 500,000 dollars is going to people who are going to be buying fast food for a quick 10 bucks or if they get into the 200 plus range will be buying traps, firearms and other things which will help businesses in the state.
I was also informed they gave away a large number of traps. Of course all are not going to be used this year, but this a numbers game in creating pockets. People are being paid who normally trap out of necessity as coons kill kittens as much as chickens.

As for the problem with dumping. Look to city people as that is the source of that, as country people throw things in the back of their trees. There is not any real way of stopping it, and for the record, a few hot days will render the problem to the unseen. It would be better if people had the sense to dump them in a slough or behind a tree, but this is city people, probably from small towns without garbage pick up, and that is the remedy they chose.

I would that all of our states had someone like Governor Noem who is willing to do something for wildlife. I was told SD handed money over to Pheasants Forever too. Swtichgrass for habitat raises lots of chicks as bird and fur predators can not get at the little ones. That is something which SD has to remedy, like most wildlife departments who employ people whose main focus is raising predators as they are not like trappers or hunters who call up the capital and complain what deadbeats they are.

Re: Current SD bounty results [Re: stumper] #6533067
05/07/19 12:35 PM
05/07/19 12:35 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I stopped by my GFP office today and talked to one of my CO's he was heading to a meeting at the Capital in Pierre. I told him I had 8 tails to go to hit 59 and with doing ADC work I'd still be getting more tails. I suggested he bring it up at the meetings that the tails beyond the household limit could be donated to non-profit wildlife organizations. He said he would run it by his regional supervisor when he met up with him today.

This would assure that the money went to wildlife and benefited wildlife organizations that could benefit from it also and reduce fraud/waste. It would lessen the paperwork to fewer recipients saving on tracking and the time to track it.

We have 2 Trappers Organizations in SD, NTA, FBU, Trapperman Fund, NWTF, RMEF, DU and Delta Waterfowl to name a few.

Will check later in the week and see what comes of it.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Current SD bounty results [Re: stumper] #6543519
05/25/19 12:25 AM
05/25/19 12:25 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
This hasn't been posted on for a while. Total tail turn in is pushing towards 20k (19,385). Coon still about 75% of the take, although grinners are gaining a bit on skunks-- no longer a 2:1 ratio in pepe's favor (3,100 stinkers, 1,700 possums). The overall tally, if the pace is kept up (which I don't think will) would finish just shy of the cut-off of nearly 50,000 the state is willing to pay out (basically 2 out of 5 months down).

I haven't actually been running any sets myself but have helped out a bit. I checked my kid's spot a couple of times and pulled his sets the day before he graduated from high school (he was busy going to grad parties of his friends). He and his buddy turned in 26 (mostly from 2 places), although 4 tails came from Stnkbait's place (more on him next). They're happy with their $260 and I get another 6 or so skulls to clean up.

My friend "Stinkbait" is a hard working construction guy who always seems to struggle. Its only through God's redemptive grace that he's not dead or serving long prison time. Anyway, he's running a few live traps around his place but his wife made him give up his guns sometime this winter until he gets better anger control so I've become his "finisher" in a number of cases. His place is only a few miles out of my way either going or coming from work so I charge him a $2 "gas take" and get another intact skull.

Today he told me he had a "possum" in a cage about a mile from his place nestled out of the way in the ditch of a county highway. I was surprised when I found a coon in the trap instead. Because I'm not doing trans-melon lead finishes on these guys, I have more respect for these critters this spring-- they are serious fighters that would love to take a piece of ya. Tonight, in the garage I took the tail off but noticed that this 2x dry sow actually seemed to have pretty good back fur yet, thick and long without any visible rub marks. I decided to take the back half of the hide off with head skin attached and will home tan it later. It might be a nice head band piece for someone decorating a wide brimmed hat. Anyway, I threw it in with my other home tanning projects and see what turns out. As I've said before, my dink factor threshold is low and don't mind doing a little work in the garage while watching tv and decompressing from some of the silliness of my real job in order to make another $3-5 more out of a critter. I'm all for the most use out of a renewable natural resource...

P.S. I haven't checked Gov. Noem's facebook site for a while (maybe Law Dog has an update) but I think the antis have figured out that they aren't going to mob shame this state's majority by telling us that we can't manage our own resources. They've probably moved on to supporting trans-gender weightlifters effort to compete aganst real women. **** the mob and the horse they rode in on...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Current SD bounty results [Re: stumper] #6543644
05/25/19 09:59 AM
05/25/19 09:59 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Why is your friend running live traps? Another wife-imposed stipulation? I just had a quick look at the program's regs and didn't see anything prohibiting footholds, body grips, or snares.

Live traps match his trapping skill level and effort

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread