Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6545366
05/28/19 03:12 AM
05/28/19 03:12 AM
Indiana
L
lureintheanimal Offline
trapper
lureintheanimal  Offline
trapper
L

Indiana
Originally Posted by rpmartin
I'm thinking must not be that good or there would be a commercial bait with this added. Any thoughts?

BION , Carroll Black had a bacon grease Compound made up design a few years before he become sick and Sold A Good Bit of it , Until things become bad for him , +Carry On Blackie ...........................................................

Scott Welch may or may not have continued that Bacon Grease Mix Up for Blackie's Blend Line after he took over after Carroll passed away .

You can check at www.blackiesblend.com and look through Scott's Line Up ,

Scott may still 'Carry It On' for Carroll , Or you could Call Scott and ask him about what happen to it , I'd have to look it up in an Old catalog Carroll gave me years ago , the Name Blackie gave it not sure off hand .

Last edited by lureintheanimal; 05/28/19 03:19 AM.

vis vitalis
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6545383
05/28/19 06:12 AM
05/28/19 06:12 AM
Iowa
C
coydog2 Offline
trapper
coydog2  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
I know the wild life mainly coyote will react to some lures and baits at different time of the year. Ask your ADC trappers. So what one will see will work in the summer dose not mean will work in the trapping season. First is the way the family group is because of the pups that is being brought up and the area that they have. On hot summer days they do not work like they do in the trapping season because of food is easyer for them to get then the fall and winter.

Life member of DAV,NTA,NRA,ITA.Also member of FTA,CBA
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6545411
05/28/19 07:36 AM
05/28/19 07:36 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Kinda makes sense when you see people typing to "test year round and often". It's not sarcasm, it's true if you want to build an effective bait.

The quote below could be and I believe is a false statement depending on your definition of "work". Lets not forget the meaning and what bait and lure are meant for and are supposed to do for the trapper and the responsibilities of the trapper and their role when using bait and lure which seems by the many threads people do. The OP already typed he doesn't test in the off season....Why not?

If someone isn't interested in making bait I could see the disconnect, but if someone is asking for thoughts on a subject and is interested in bait and lure why aren't you already trying to figure out the animals interests? There is no off season and animals don't take a break from eating and "investigating" different odors.
On hot summer days they do not work like they do in the trapping season because of food is easyer for them to get then the fall and winter.

Bait should appeal to the animal year round by offering "variety" to that animal. It's your job to learn to interpret and implement "variety" which involves a whole lotta time and effort. You can get canines to hit on bait that offers variety during spring, summer fall and winter, they will even work bait during the breeding season. Ingredients and their portion should manipulate and dictate their response, it does around here anyway. Ask me how do I know that? I put in work to find out what turns these animals wheels and find through trial and error how to keep their interest and do it without the blessing of 30 to 40 years in a bottle or by any other myth or superstition. You may be dealing with animals that only attract to magic hats though, the animals around here haven't attended the trapping colleges yet.

Things don't always work and you are right, same thing can be said about the "commercial" products that are specifically designed for the trapping season by the guys in the magic hats. If the quote is accurate, why aren't the bait and lures that are "for the trapper made by trappers" the holy grail and working for them in the season they are supposed to be at their best? Why are those folks on trapping forums asking for "the best" bait and lure still when they have multiple bottles of "commercial" bait and lure already? Making your own bait allows you to determine what goes in and what doesn't and the only way to find the answer is to test.

It doesn't matter if the personality on a forum says they trap 1000 coyotes a year on bacon grease, I can guarantee you that you wont. The answers will never change to the questions that roll through a thread on a forum when it pertains to bait and lure and wild unpredictable animals.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6545469
05/28/19 08:54 AM
05/28/19 08:54 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
it goes back to what russ carmen said

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6545475
05/28/19 09:03 AM
05/28/19 09:03 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/atkins-diet-101

here is an article about how your body produces and stores fat. your body can and does burn fat you eat as energy. it is a high calorie food. it just cant be stored. the fat on bobcats is the result of carbs in the digestive tract of prey. its why they have so little. coyotes on the other hand eat anything edible. as winter goes on into spring you see less and less fat on them. a straight meat diet in the collection pen makes them pee more as their body is forced to burn fat and excrete it in urine. after about 3 weeks urine production falls way off. most all pet food contains corn and or rice. its why pets get fat so easily.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6545563
05/28/19 01:06 PM
05/28/19 01:06 PM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
ive tested the pork lard vs bacon grease. the bacon wins consecutively! Chicken fryer oil comes in a close second. hamburger grease is neck and neck. But it does sour rather quick

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: TDHP] #6545691
05/28/19 06:25 PM
05/28/19 06:25 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by TDHP
Kinda makes sense when you see people typing to "test year round and often". It's not sarcasm, it's true if you want to build an effective bait.

The quote below could be and I believe is a false statement depending on your definition of "work". Lets not forget the meaning and what bait and lure are meant for and are supposed to do for the trapper and the responsibilities of the trapper and their role when using bait and lure which seems by the many threads people do. The OP already typed he doesn't test in the off season....Why not?

If someone isn't interested in making bait I could see the disconnect, but if someone is asking for thoughts on a subject and is interested in bait and lure why aren't you already trying to figure out the animals interests? There is no off season and animals don't take a break from eating and "investigating" different odors.
On hot summer days they do not work like they do in the trapping season because of food is easyer for them to get then the fall and winter.

Bait should appeal to the animal year round by offering "variety" to that animal. It's your job to learn to interpret and implement "variety" which involves a whole lotta time and effort. You can get canines to hit on bait that offers variety during spring, summer fall and winter, they will even work bait during the breeding season. Ingredients and their portion should manipulate and dictate their response, it does around here anyway. Ask me how do I know that? I put in work to find out what turns these animals wheels and find through trial and error how to keep their interest and do it without the blessing of 30 to 40 years in a bottle or by any other myth or superstition. You may be dealing with animals that only attract to magic hats though, the animals around here haven't attended the trapping colleges yet.

Things don't always work and you are right, same thing can be said about the "commercial" products that are specifically designed for the trapping season by the guys in the magic hats. If the quote is accurate, why aren't the bait and lures that are "for the trapper made by trappers" the holy grail and working for them in the season they are supposed to be at their best? Why are those folks on trapping forums asking for "the best" bait and lure still when they have multiple bottles of "commercial" bait and lure already? Making your own bait allows you to determine what goes in and what doesn't and the only way to find the answer is to test.

It doesn't matter if the personality on a forum says they trap 1000 coyotes a year on bacon grease, I can guarantee you that you wont. The answers will never change to the questions that roll through a thread on a forum when it pertains to bait and lure and wild unpredictable animals.

There are a lot of different levels of trappers, bait buyers and bait makers on here. Some just starting out to pros like yourself. I wouldn't consider myself a bait maker. I have meat scraps that I added the boss's bait solution to and works good but thought about adding a little bacon grease to it. So yes I wanted input from folks who have tried bacon grease and what they thought of it. Then you came along with your self righteous condescending attitude and bam here we are.

I looked at your bait lineup. Why so many different kinds, and why only in 4oz or 8oz?? So which one of your baits would be the best on my line??

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6545699
05/28/19 06:37 PM
05/28/19 06:37 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
RP
I've learned to expect it and ignore it if that helps you.

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: danny clifton] #6545704
05/28/19 06:46 PM
05/28/19 06:46 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by danny clifton
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/atkins-diet-101

here is an article about how your body produces and stores fat. your body can and does burn fat you eat as energy. it is a high calorie food. it just cant be stored. the fat on bobcats is the result of carbs in the digestive tract of prey. its why they have so little. coyotes on the other hand eat anything edible. as winter goes on into spring you see less and less fat on them. a straight meat diet in the collection pen makes them pee more as their body is forced to burn fat and excrete it in urine. after about 3 weeks urine production falls way off. most all pet food contains corn and or rice. its why pets get fat so easily.

That's true if you are on a low carb diet. I'm talking about wild coyotes not people or penned coyotes. From the information I found some fat is good but too much can be turned into fat.

All I know is I skinned some really fat coyotes, how they got that fat I don't know.

Life member,

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6545730
05/28/19 07:44 PM
05/28/19 07:44 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
coyotes on the other hand eat anything edible. as winter goes on into spring you see less and less fat on them.

A lot (not all) of the damage to field corn is coyotes not coons or deer. They will about eat any fruit. Mulberries, plums, pawpaws,, apples, hackberries, prickly pear fruit, raspberries, wild strawberries, even cantaloupe and watermelon. Fat because of its high caloric content when eaten with say field corn, will cause all the corn to be converted into body fat. Eating just corn will cause some to be stored as fat. Its why we finish feed hogs and cattle with it.

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: lureintheanimal] #6545811
05/28/19 09:24 PM
05/28/19 09:24 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by lureintheanimal
Originally Posted by rpmartin
I'm thinking must not be that good or there would be a commercial bait with this added. Any thoughts?

BION , Carroll Black had a bacon grease Compound made up design a few years before he become sick and Sold A Good Bit of it , Until things become bad for him , +Carry On Blackie ...........................................................

Scott Welch may or may not have continued that Bacon Grease Mix Up for Blackie's Blend Line after he took over after Carroll passed away .

You can check at www.blackiesblend.com and look through Scott's Line Up ,

Scott may still 'Carry It On' for Carroll , Or you could Call Scott and ask him about what happen to it , I'd have to look it up in an Old catalog Carroll gave me years ago , the Name Blackie gave it not sure off hand .

Thanks for that, didn't see it in his line up. Will have to give him a call.

Life member,

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6545812
05/28/19 09:26 PM
05/28/19 09:26 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
There are a lot of different levels of trappers, bait buyers and bait makers on here. Some just starting out to pros like yourself. I wouldn't consider myself a bait maker. I have meat scraps that I added the boss's bait solution to and works good but thought about adding a little bacon grease to it. So yes I wanted input from folks who have tried bacon grease and what they thought of it. Then you came along with your self righteous condescending attitude and bam here we are.

I looked at your bait lineup. Why so many different kinds, and why only in 4oz or 8oz?? So which one of your baits would be the best on my line

I'm no pro and even the "pros" bait and lure sit on shelves with no success for the individual that is using it. You can spin it how you'd like to. Fact is...there is no higher power when it comes to making bait, the animals either like it and respond to it or they don't. If you are making bait then you're "bait making". People can ignore it and continue to believe in that bs and sit to oouuhhhhh and awwww and whatever else they do when it comes to bait and lure, but I for one opened my eyes a long time ago to animal activity and what is more likely to get them popping and responding to bait and lure. What I use and make works and works well for me and the intended animals respond well to it. You can go and order your catalogs and read anything you want, I can assure you that if you can't comprehend it to put two and two together in the field regarding "animal and interest". You will continue to waste money on all the new latest and greatest ingredients out there, and you'll continue to read countless pages of forum archives and continue to ask "what is the best......". Bait and lure archives don't explain animal behavior, diets and what those animals need during the year to prepare them for the following season, that falls on you.. Your results are determined by how much energy you put into it.

I'm not one to sit back, I'm a go gettah. If I want to achieve something I will do my best to get to that point regardless of how many times I fall down. Ya need thick skin in the world we live in.

Again how hard is it to make a bait, lace up your boots and punch 1/2 to 3/4 holes, slap a cam up, run traps or not and observe? Whether they dig a 4 foot hole or an 8 inch hole, the only objective your bait and lure have are to get that animal to that location and "work" your set. If you need that animal to dig a 4 foot hole then you have other things going on, it isn't the bait and lure. Sir you have a wonderful evening and good luck!

[Linked Image]

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: coydog2] #6545890
05/29/19 12:50 AM
05/29/19 12:50 AM
Indiana
L
lureintheanimal Offline
trapper
lureintheanimal  Offline
trapper
L

Indiana
Originally Posted by coydog2
I know the wild life mainly coyote will react to some lures and baits at different time of the year. Ask your ADC trappers. So what one will see will work in the summer dose not mean will work in the trapping season. First is the way the family group is because of the pups that is being brought up and the area that they have. On hot summer days they do not work like they do in the trapping season because of food is easyer for them to get then the fall and winter.

Coyotes and most Canids and felines become lethargic during hot Summer weather months , mostly snacking on odd prey , the raising of the young are the reasons they Collect rabbits and turkeys and anything in between . there like an old hobo with an umbrella over there body they do not eat very much themselves , they drink lots of water . They lay up in the coolest seclude darn place they can find .

Collecting food for there pups rearing during the heat of Spring & hot Summer is The Most Important Mission of The Pack to the Coyotes / Canids . Them little critters need A lot of Food to grow up for late August / September killing training sessions with The Pack that certainly includes there parents Alpha Female Alpha Male and the Adults of The Pack .

Raccoons are opposite unless rabid , they eat no matter what , a Raccoon climbing out of a trash barrel or dumpster late at night is a normal chow event , they are leaving The Diner Fast Food establishment LOL

Opossums are the same as buzzards , they will eat at any heat range ,,, flock of buzzards chowing down on cow deer ANY carcass on a 105 degree day just Smiling at you as you approach them they like to to puke on ya' if you get to close , messy clothes to explain to Mama . LOL

you'll find in different regions Coyotes / Canids, even in desert terrain where it cools at night and the scorpions fight they do not eat very much preying on lizards and odd prey. they lay up in the coolest darn place they can find .

Last edited by lureintheanimal; 05/29/19 01:05 AM.

vis vitalis
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6545923
05/29/19 06:56 AM
05/29/19 06:56 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
TDHP, not all of us have as much time as you to test everything so methodically.

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: AJE] #6546163
05/29/19 05:15 PM
05/29/19 05:15 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Originally Posted by AJE
TDHP, not all of us have as much time as you to test everything so methodically.

Sir, I run trap checks, setting up and working adc jobs 7 days a week on top of working a 4 & 2 tied in with doubles for road details, not to mention family time. Them 2 days off consist of picking up OT and details as well. I still find time to get in the woods and test something I rely on to trap the critters I'm after. Some make excuses and then there are the people who just do it and get it done.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6546166
05/29/19 05:25 PM
05/29/19 05:25 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
The question shouldn't be "So which one of your baits would be the best on my line?" The real question is do you have the ability to set yourself up for success in the field to trap the animal you seek? Location, population, skill...the list goes on when it comes time for the role of the trapper. The other question would be, if you purchased a "commercial" bait solution and it works for you.

Why would you want to add things to it? Is it really working as well as you think? Or just trying to be creative? Time is money on the line and on adc jobs. If I'm using something and it is putting fur in my traps, there is no need to change the dynamics of the formula just cause..I may be wrong though, seems like the common theme when it comes to bait and lure.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6546230
05/29/19 09:24 PM
05/29/19 09:24 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
lol, I believe the owner to the site allows the links, as many of the members add their links to the signature. If you want me to remove it just ask or have him do so. Legend ? nah not even close, I just don't believe in all the jazz that many do when it comes to bait and lure, I know it takes more than an ingredient to be successful in the field. My man, I don't need you to buy anything from me, It doesn't bother me. Still doesn't change the facts on how easy it is to attract an animal if you put the time and energy into it. I don't think the owners of those sites are"idiots" at all, but I know you don't need to purchase any commercial bait to trap animals.That's the difference.

Edit- Fixed it,removed the animal attractants.

TDHP

Last edited by TDHP; 05/29/19 10:12 PM.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: TDHP] #6546265
05/29/19 10:41 PM
05/29/19 10:41 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Tdhp, could you please do us a favor and just relax just a little bit? If your not supporting your family solely on your lure and bait business than you really should just be able to just chill out a little take a deep breath and have a little fun with thinking about new and different ways to mess with Wiley. Unwind just a little bit and I think things could be more productive in our future conversations. You obviously have a ton of hard earned information from your bait and lure observations that most of is wish we had, but the bottom line is we don't and never took it to the level that you have. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is please cut us a little slack and have some patience with me/us.

Life member,

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6546364
05/30/19 04:48 AM
05/30/19 04:48 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
The First Step

I don't know how many trappers I know, who once they begin trapping 30-40 fox a year, begin making their own lures. How in the world can a trapper who is still learning how to trap, at the same time accurately evaluate a lure? The answer is simple. He can't. The first step in becoming a good lure maker is to become a good trapper.

Russ Carmen
Musk Mystery and Misconceptions
The Lure makers Guide

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6546387
05/30/19 06:41 AM
05/30/19 06:41 AM
Maine
beezmador Offline
trapper
beezmador  Offline
trapper

Maine
Soooo... . What do you all think about using bacon grease for coyotes? wink

Member of NTA, MTA and FTA - keeping up the Fight for our Right to trap
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7