Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6546399
05/30/19 07:14 AM
05/30/19 07:14 AM
Alaska
D
DucksandDogs Offline
trapper
DucksandDogs  Offline
trapper
D

Alaska
Seems like a waste of good bacon grease.

Lifetime member - ATA, AFTA
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6546629
05/30/19 04:42 PM
05/30/19 04:42 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
I'm always chillaxed when I'm on the net. If only you could see how I'm chilling in my office chair typing this post. This is pure entertainment for me, I leave the seriousness for work. I wish ya luck though, hope you get to get out into the field and really put your ideas to work.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6547320
05/31/19 09:47 PM
05/31/19 09:47 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
I have to ask, who are these magic hat guys you speak of?

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6547603
06/01/19 11:11 AM
06/01/19 11:11 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
The magic hats are the folks who can sprinkle high powered magic powder in a bait that will enhance the bait so much it will call in animals even if they aren't there. Only they possess the power to turn an "OK" bait into a magnificent bait that is irresistible to any and all animals to the point they will not walk by without "investigating" its odor.

Grease is great, all the critters will trade in their fur for it.
[Linked Image]

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6547610
06/01/19 11:34 AM
06/01/19 11:34 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Carmens Hawbakers Ogorman Dobbins just to name a few. Why screw around with something you know nothing about buy what's been tested and has a excellent track record.

I know I know It's what trappers do but some of this stuff Is just way over the top In my opinion.

I use bacon grease In punch holes along the banks for coon I slap a hand full on bridge abutments. I fill my DPs with It I squirt some down dirt holes I smear some on visual attractor's. A jerky gun works really great for applying the grease.

Lots of uses for bacon grease but It's not rocket science.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: TDHP] #6547645
06/01/19 01:09 PM
06/01/19 01:09 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
I agree it's not rocket science but it sure is enjoyable to put in the work and come up with something is better than average.

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: TDHP] #6547650
06/01/19 01:22 PM
06/01/19 01:22 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by TDHP
The magic hats are the folks who can sprinkle high powered magic powder in a bait that will enhance the bait so much it will call in animals even if they aren't there. Only they possess the power to turn an "OK" bait into a magnificent bait that is irresistible to any and all animals to the point they will not walk by without "investigating" its odor.

Grease is great, all the critters will trade in their fur for it.
[Linked Image]

I hate it when those magic hats are constantly pushing their own products on us trappers.

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6547660
06/01/19 01:52 PM
06/01/19 01:52 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
The problem I find Is all the work you put into something and then find that Is just doesn't measure up.

In my opinion It's all about location. If your spot on location then just about anything will get a critter to stop for a look see. Or if you have a large concentration of the target species.

I trapped coyotes In 70s In WI I sucked at It because we had very few coyotes. I went to MS and became an over night success when It came to trapping coyotes. When you have lots of coyotes working your sets your bound to catch some. LOL
But I will say this my buddy used a certain lure and It sucked I used Camens lures and was very successful.

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6547705
06/01/19 03:50 PM
06/01/19 03:50 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline OP
trapper
rpmartin  Offline OP
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Your right about location. The way I see it's all about percentages, location, attractant, trap kill area, guiding, etc. etc.. If your right on location you just upped your percentage of a catch enormously. The bait or attractant will or should up your % even more if the animal is hungry or even curious enough to work the set.

If you know you are on location and everything is equal as possible and you are using a bait that works 75% of the time and you think maybe you could up that percentage to 80 or 85% wouldn't you try it? Wouldn't it be worth a try? To me it's all about getting all the little things, (percentages) as close to 100% as possible. No rocket science or magic involved.

Up to this point I have used commercial baits and bait solutions so yes I have let the testing up to the bait makers and have enough confidence in them to use without testing. Some work better than others, some worked great one year then were only mediocre the next year and a different bait shined. So with all that said I've heard enough good things about bacon I can't see a good reason to at least give it a shot. Too many coon are what worry me the most about bacon.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: The Beav] #6547724
06/01/19 04:37 PM
06/01/19 04:37 PM
Alaska
D
DucksandDogs Offline
trapper
DucksandDogs  Offline
trapper
D

Alaska
Originally Posted by The Beav
Carmens Hawbakers Ogorman Dobbins just to name a few. Why screw around with something you know nothing about buy what's been tested and has a excellent track record.

Maybe some people enjoy learning new things.

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6547928
06/01/19 11:37 PM
06/01/19 11:37 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Your 100% right just look at all trappers making their own lure and bait.
I've found a very effective bait and a very effective lure that works just fine. No need for me to go looking for the magic elixir.

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: The Beav] #6547931
06/01/19 11:45 PM
06/01/19 11:45 PM
Alaska
D
DucksandDogs Offline
trapper
DucksandDogs  Offline
trapper
D

Alaska
Your 100% right just look at all trappers making their own lure and bait.
I've found a very effective bait and a very effective lure that works just fine. No need for me to go looking for the magic elixir.

I get that, too. I don’t know how many people are trying to find the magic elixir vs. just trying to see if they can succeed at fooling the animals, too.

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: The Beav] #6547933
06/01/19 11:54 PM
06/01/19 11:54 PM
N.C MO
TONY.F Offline
trapper
Happy Birthday TONY.F  Offline
trapper

N.C MO
The problem I find Is all the work you put into something and then find that Is just doesn't measure up.

and id be willing to bet theres not a pro out there that's done the same more then once

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: DucksandDogs] #6547987
06/02/19 07:09 AM
06/02/19 07:09 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
I get that, too. I don’t know how many people are trying to find the magic elixir vs. just trying to see if they can succeed at fooling the animals, too.

Sums it up, and isn't hard at all. If you want to achieve something, you can only follow and sheep it for so long. At some point you need to lead and figure things out for yourself and on your own. If it doesn't pan out, then it doesn't pan out. It sure beats asking for results from people on whether or not something is going to work for you without you ever trying it out and gathering your own opinion. What doesn't work for the "pros" on the forum may be the "banger" for you. The rabbit hole is a deep one if you start to believe you need 40 years in a room with a chemistry set to make bait and lure.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6548015
06/02/19 08:49 AM
06/02/19 08:49 AM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks
I think the word Pro is widely over used. There is a difference of buying a name and buying a good bait.I wish some would offer a refund and stand behind their name. I have a gallon from 2 different makers I would like to return.

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6548063
06/02/19 10:03 AM
06/02/19 10:03 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I have experimented for 40 some years In trying to come up with the lure/ bait combo that works for my system and my location. Guess what I found It and I never screwed around making my own. I just kept buying ready made baits and lures till I found the right combination.
Work smarter not harder I let the other lure and bait makers do the work for me. I'm betting I came out way ahead of the game by doing so. But that's just me.

I did make up some salted fish coon bait that worked very well. And when It comes to fish oil you can't beat ready made out of the store.

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: The Beav] #6548084
06/02/19 10:45 AM
06/02/19 10:45 AM
Alaska
D
DucksandDogs Offline
trapper
DucksandDogs  Offline
trapper
D

Alaska
I have experimented for 40 some years In trying to come up with the lure/ bait combo that works for my system and my location. Guess what I found It and I never screwed around making my own. I just kept buying ready made baits and lures till I found the right combination.
Work smarter not harder I let the other lure and bait makers do the work for me. I'm betting I came out way ahead of the game by doing so. But that's just me.

I did make up some salted fish coon bait that worked very well. And when It comes to fish oil you can't beat ready made out of the store.

You’ll never work a day in your life if you enjoy what you do. I’m just saying some folks look at lure and bait making as another facet of trapping and they enjoy it. They aren’t trying to make it a competition, they’re just trying to learn more about a different aspect of trapping. It’s nearly impossible for you to quantify “coming out way ahead” by buying bait and lure for 40 years compared to trying to make your own because the outcome is immeasurable. If I mix something up and catch a single animal with it, it’s worth more to me than playing roulette with store bought products. It’s like tying flies or making arrows. The satisfaction lies merely in a small success.

To each his own, but just realize not everyone is trying to make a BETTER lure/bait than the commercially available stuff - some folks are just happy to open up another corner of the trapping world and learn more about it all.

Although, I can’t help but wonder if you might have found a combo that works prior to the 40 year mark if you’d started making your own within the first few years and had 100% control over what you were using...

Last edited by DucksandDogs; 06/02/19 10:47 AM.

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6548106
06/02/19 11:25 AM
06/02/19 11:25 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I'm with you 100% if it's what trips your trigger go for It.

I have One exceptional bait that I use It was made by Rich Kasper. We did a barter thing where I furnished the dogs for his 660s and he gave me 6 gallons of his bait. I'm down to 3 now. And since Rich Is out of the bait making business when It's gone I'm out of luck.

Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: tbn] #6548109
06/02/19 11:33 AM
06/02/19 11:33 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Originally Posted by tbn
I think the word Pro is widely over used. There is a difference of buying a name and buying a good bait.I wish some would offer a refund and stand behind their name. I have a gallon from 2 different makers I would like to return.

Have to take into consideration that there are names and products out there on the big stage solely due to who they know, not what they know and what kind of product they put out. Goes back to how valuable is a "commercially prepared proven, tested and tried formula" if it isn't doing what it was designed to do for the individual using it, verses a "home brew" that is performing well and beyond expectations and doing it on a consistent basis? The Beav you thinking about hanging it up once that gold is gone?

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: How good is bacon grease for coyotes? [Re: rpmartin] #6548112
06/02/19 11:36 AM
06/02/19 11:36 AM
N.C MO
TONY.F Offline
trapper
Happy Birthday TONY.F  Offline
trapper

N.C MO
That's one of the main reasons I make my own using things that never change or become hard to obtain. Not to mention I enjoy doing it.Great granda pa always said boy be good at as many things as possible. The more you rely on others the more often you fail.

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91