No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: Bob Jameson] #6545394
05/28/19 06:46 AM
05/28/19 06:46 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
My wife would give my "pet" coyote stuffed animals to play with. it carried them around and tore them up. Got loose one night. Next morning my yard was full of kids toys. I live in a small town and it had gathered every toy from every yard and brought it home. Including one of those big wheeled tricycles. We never did find out who all of them belonged to. It was 8 when it bit my wife so bad she needed medical care and coyote had to be put down.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: Bob Jameson] #6545658
05/28/19 05:17 PM
05/28/19 05:17 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
Like I said Danny they love to hoard things and bring them back to their home or a special place they frequent a lot.

Keith is she spayed or still able to come in heat when she matures ? That is a new chapter when the time comes if she comes in season smile.

Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: Bob Jameson] #6545676
05/28/19 05:41 PM
05/28/19 05:41 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Bob, Katie is intact. She had sort of a weak heat last Winter. I would like to breed her to a Grand Champion or higher ranked mountain feist, if I can find someone who has one at stud, who would not mind doing it. I think that breeding may make a very good squirrel and other small game dog.

Keith

Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: Bob Jameson] #6545682
05/28/19 06:04 PM
05/28/19 06:04 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
I would think you may want to condition her to a muzzle slowly to prepare her for the feel of it on her head. If you are going to breed her it may be a good idea to help protect the sire dog. If she isn't receptive she can put a hurt on it pretty quick.Being her first time.

Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: Bob Jameson] #6545686
05/28/19 06:16 PM
05/28/19 06:16 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
That's a good idea Bob, thanks.

Keith

Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: danny clifton] #6545737
05/28/19 07:52 PM
05/28/19 07:52 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by danny clifton
My wife would give my "pet" coyote stuffed animals to play with. it carried them around and tore them up. Got loose one night. Next morning my yard was full of kids toys. I live in a small town and it had gathered every toy from every yard and brought it home. Including one of those big wheeled tricycles. We never did find out who all of them belonged to. It was 8 when it bit my wife so bad she needed medical care and coyote had to be put down.

Except for the end that story made me laugh out loud... I would've loved to have seen your face when you saw all those toys in the yard.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: Bob Jameson] #6545867
05/28/19 11:19 PM
05/28/19 11:19 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
I reread this whole thread, and have thought about the things you have told us about Katie. I've been around coyotes all my life, and while most I have experienced have been in a trap, one thing you can take to the bank, they are all different. Just like people! The personalitys are from, cower and pee down their leg to want to take your head off, when you approach them. The one thing certain that I have defined is, young yotes are not very brave. The older they get, the more sure of themselves. I believe Keith, as Katie ages, she will be more bold, and that some of the things thatbother her now prolly won't when she ages. I hope you keep us in the loop and report her progress in her life among humans!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: KeithC] #6545965
05/29/19 08:54 AM
05/29/19 08:54 AM
KY
P
Pawbracelets7 Offline
trapper
Pawbracelets7  Offline
trapper
P

KY
[quote=KeithC]Lee, I bought Katie from a breeder in Antwerp, Ohio when she was 28 days old. She was pulled from her mother at 9 days of age and bottle fed. The breeder put each coyote pup by themselves, at 9 days, in plywood boxes. Depending on when her eyes opened, Katie has probably never seen another coyote.

You're welcome Bob. Most new smells actually make Katie nervous and even some smells she has been around, make her uneasy. When Diane is wearing her goat milking clothes, Katie will not come out of her crate for Diane. Usually Katie comes straight out and gives a few licks, while rapidly wagging her tail. If Katie sees Diane when she is out, she will come running up, wagging her tail, but if Diane has been milking, Katie will shy away as soon as she smells goat. If Diane wears perfume, which she rarely does, Katie will hesitate to come out of her crate.

I think Katie recognizes us, our cats and our dogs, in large part by smell. She likes to push her nose into the cats fur and sniff heavily.

It would be interesting to put out a whole lot of different lures and to walk Katie by, to see her reaction. I think Katie would initially avoid many lures.

Katie also shows a lot of new object avoidance. If on leash, Katie will slow down and watch items like our riding mower, air compressor, a 5 gallon bucket or our wheelbarrow, as we approach, if they are in a novel place. She will speed up, while looking back, once she is past the object. On her own she will observe a new object and bobble her head before approaching.

Surprisingly loud noises do not appear to bother Katie, for the most part, at all. It could be because she is used to hearing loud TV and music.

Keith
When we get a snow that lasts more than a week (rare anymore) I've observed yote tracks in two track farm lanes that would change sides when they approached a new object I'd introduced (urine post, vertebrae, etc.) for 5 or 6 days until they committed. This was always in late season after dispersal. Sometimes if farmer doesn't run an ATV on his place it may take a couple of days until they start showing up in snares and footholds. Again this mainly happens after dispersal when I'm mostly dealing with home range yotes.

Darkness flees in the presence of light. Jesus Christ, lighting the way for over 2000 years.
Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: Bob Jameson] #6546064
05/29/19 12:44 PM
05/29/19 12:44 PM
South Carolina
T
Tom cat Offline
trapper
Tom cat  Offline
trapper
T

South Carolina
This has been a very cool thread/discussion. I’ll stick to trapping them. But still very neat to watch.

Thanks for sharing.

Sugarcreektrapping@gmail.com
Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: Bob Jameson] #6546070
05/29/19 12:52 PM
05/29/19 12:52 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Lee, I think you are probably right that Katie will get more confident with age. As a young pup, Katie was close to fearless. I worried that she could be deaf, when we first got her, because not even sudden loud noises would startle her. She would climb up on our couch just a few days after we got her, to be with me and would go straight up to anything moving, larger than herself, like us, the dogs and cats. I think she was imprinting.

She started showing new object avoidance at around 5 months. Katie does not act really scared of objects in new places. She does not flee. It's more like she is just very observant of novel objects and that she prefers to stay a safe distance. I think there are very few animals that can move as agilely as a coyote and with a 10 foot head start, a coyote would be hard to catch for the larger predators. Katie's ability to change directions, to avoid Althea, while playing, is amazing.

Pawbracelets7, as you observed, coyotes must have a pretty impressive spatial map of their home territories. We keep some buckets we use to carry feed, under our carport. If we place the buckets just a few feet out of place, Katie will turn her head and focus on them as we go past.

Coyotes are very smart, which makes them one of the most challenging and rewarding animals to trap.

Keith

Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: Bob Jameson] #6546081
05/29/19 01:04 PM
05/29/19 01:04 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Wife rearranged the living furniture. Our coyote would not go in there for several days. Had to take it out the back door. When it finally did it was at a dead run into a bedroom. This lasted several more days. I put it in my pickup to go check some muskrat traps on an adc job. It was fine till we met an oncoming vehicle then it would panic bouncing around the cab and then hiding under the dash where my feet and the pedals were. Had to give up taking it anyplace except in a covered crate in the bed. Then it was very nervous of the new location. Hyper alert kind of crouched down,. Didn't dare take it off the leash. Field trips ended.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: Bob Jameson] #6546093
05/29/19 01:49 PM
05/29/19 01:49 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Althea, our 9 month old, AnatolIan Shepherd/English Shepherd pup, also notices items like the riding mower, a bucket, the grill, the wheelbarrow, an animal, or air compressor in new locations. Our German Shepherd, Annie, did too. Canines must be highly aware of where things should be. They both reacted very differently than Katie does to objects in a new place. Althea charges and Annie charged towards the objects, barking aggressively and shying off from a few feet away if the object does not move, before approaching and sniffing the object with their heads down.

If the object was an animal, like a rabbit, coon, cat or opossum, Annie gave chase and did her best to kill it, if I did not call her off. Althea gives chase but with not quite as much drive. She has not caught anything larger than a carpenter bee yet. Althea barks and lunges at carpenter bees, which is pretty entertaining up to a point. I used to enjoy putting objects in the yard to watch Annie "defend us" from them. If Diane was out, Annie would act especially aggressive and keep herself between the object and Diane, until she sniffed it. I miss her.

Keith

Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: Bob Jameson] #6546535
05/30/19 12:37 PM
05/30/19 12:37 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
At exactly 12:30pm Katie started scratching at her crates door to let me know she wanted fed. I was sitting in the room for over 30 minutes before. Katie obviously has a good internal clock, but I can't think of any obvious reason a coyote would need one, unless certain types of prey species are active and more vulnerable at specific times.

Keith

Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: Bob Jameson] #6623620
09/23/19 08:02 PM
09/23/19 08:02 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Here's some pictures of Katie from about 20 minutes ago.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Katie still mostly acts like a dog. She still avoids novel items. She prefers staying in the house, more than my house dogs do, which I find a little strange. She definitely does not like going out in bad weather. When it's time to go in, she pulls to the house hard. We still have not had any aggression problems with her. She loves wrestling my Anatolian Shepherd/English Shepherd year old pup, Althea. Neither have ever gotten mad at each other. They switch off who chases and catches who. Katie prefers affection over food. When eating, she likes to take breaks to be rubbed on.

I think she has given me a lot better understanding on how to trap coyotes. I think setting any large backing preseason would give coyotes time to adjust to a novel object in their environment. Katie likes to dig grubs and for fun. The dirt holes she creates are long and narrow. She is most attracted to holes that look like the ones she digs. She is attracted to and enjoys playing with plastic trash, bones, sticks, feathers and big weeds. I suspect that unless they are hungry, coyotes seek some sort of thick cover, in bad weather. Katie very much likes routine. I suspect wild coyotes likewise have a pattern of activity that they consistently follow.

Keith

Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: Bob Jameson] #6623629
09/23/19 08:09 PM
09/23/19 08:09 PM
SD
T
Turd Furgeson Offline
trapper
Turd Furgeson  Offline
trapper
T

SD
Thank you for sharing your observations and pictures.

Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: Turd Furgeson] #6623657
09/23/19 08:50 PM
09/23/19 08:50 PM
Iowa
M
Mitch L Offline
trapper
Mitch L  Offline
trapper
M

Iowa
Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson

x2 Good stuff!

Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: Bob Jameson] #6623685
09/23/19 09:27 PM
09/23/19 09:27 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Getting bigger for sure.Nice pics.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: Mitch L] #6623689
09/23/19 09:31 PM
09/23/19 09:31 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by Mitch L
Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson

x2 Good stuff!

X3, that's pretty cool Keith!

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: Bob Jameson] #6623703
09/23/19 10:03 PM
09/23/19 10:03 PM
Maine
M
mainer Offline
trapper
mainer  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
This is a great thread, Keith. Thank you!

And thanks to Bob for starting it! smile

Last edited by mainer; 09/23/19 10:04 PM.

"...in a very few days we succeeded in taking over one hundred beaver, the skins of which were worth ten dollars per pound."
Jim Beckwourth (1856)
Re: How's is the coyote pup now [Re: Bob Jameson] #6623725
09/23/19 10:23 PM
09/23/19 10:23 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Good read. Thanks. Good luck with her Keith

Everything the left touches it destroys