No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Southern summer beaver trapping #6547045
05/31/19 11:26 AM
05/31/19 11:26 AM
NE North Carolina
V
varmintshooter Offline OP
trapper
varmintshooter  Offline OP
trapper
V

NE North Carolina
Well it's about as hot as it gets with .high humidity, this early in the year too. There are black, deer, green head, and Tyrannosaurus rex horse flies by the thousands and mosquitos by the millions.. Cat claw, and greenbriers, and cottonmouths by the truck load. I went to check a swamp and the farmer had planted the field so I had to walk in wearing chest waders. Long dang walk.Hot, flies, mosquitos and a heavy pack. When I got there, I was on a dam with little to no bottom on either side. If you got off the dam you sunk to your hips or mine anyway. Just about in the middle of the dam I met a bear. I pulled out my camera and took picture as he walked towards me on the dam. Then I went to video as he kept walking towards me. I have worked with bears for years. Dang thing just kept coming so I waved and hollard, he stopped and then came on some more. At about 30 yards I pulled my pistol loaded with snake shot and fired hoping the bang would scare it. It did for about 3 feet and then it snapped it jaws. Well the heat and bugs didn;'t seem so bad anymore. He sat down at about 30 yards and just watched me. I went in to blow the dam and after the walk in I didn't want to make it again, so I set it up as the critter watched. After about an hour he finally got up and walked off. When he got out of sight I blew the dam and left. I have never had a bear hang out before. The torture from the heat and bugs returned on the way out. I think the temp was around 500 degrees when I got to the truck and it was only 0930.
But on a positive note, I got some good bear pictures up close and some folks have never seen one before.

Re: Southern summer beaver trapping [Re: varmintshooter] #6547094
05/31/19 12:26 PM
05/31/19 12:26 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana

I think those green heads hurt more than any others!

Will you be loading any video for us to see? Sounds like a great day, minus the scorching temps!

Re: Southern summer beaver trapping [Re: varmintshooter] #6547139
05/31/19 01:42 PM
05/31/19 01:42 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Varmintshooter,
You just described every beaver job down here in the south.....except I dont see a bear most times. Dang deer flies are worse than I've ever seen em.

Be safe out there. Stay hydrated. Hope your AC works in your truck.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Southern summer beaver trapping [Re: varmintshooter] #6547342
05/31/19 10:21 PM
05/31/19 10:21 PM
Alabama
K
KB64 Offline
trapper
KB64  Offline
trapper
K

Alabama
Yep, got to got do follow up on a job I worked early in May. Dam breaks went unattended but I know there's got to be more there. Put a fresh box of snake shot in the truck earlier tonight.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread