No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Shi-tzu [Re: Trapper7] #6549926
06/05/19 12:13 PM
06/05/19 12:13 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
gadzumtite.

Re: Shi-tzu [Re: Trapper7] #6549972
06/05/19 02:01 PM
06/05/19 02:01 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Trapper7
I've been feeding him Beneful and sometimes a little canned dog food. I keep hearing ads for Dyna-Vite on the radio and how people say it made a huge difference for their dog's scratching. Then, I hear horror stories about how they keep sending you dog food even when you've cancelled with them.

I forgot my lab's dog food when I went to camp beginning of May. The closest store that sells it is almost an hour away. So I went to a local store and got him a bag of Beneful.

This was the result an hour after he ate two cups:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

His lips, face and eyes swelled up and got red. I was worried his throat might swell shut and kill him. I did some research on Beneful and found out the maker, Nestle Purina Petcare Global, had been sued on several occasions since Beneful's introduction in 2001 for the poisoning deaths of multiple dogs. Other lawsuits were brought when nasty chemicals were found in the dog food that was sickening dogs years after the poisoning deaths.

This is what he normally looks like:

[Linked Image]

I went the next day and got him his regular food. I still have the almost full bag of Beneful if you want it. shocked

Eh...wot?

Re: Shi-tzu [Re: 20scout] #6549989
06/05/19 02:44 PM
06/05/19 02:44 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper7  Offline OP
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by 20scout
Beneful?? Don't feed him that crap!! I would be surprised if it wasn't his food. I made the mistake of feeding my Jack Russell that stuff and he began to have problems breaking his nails, and shedding excessively. Changed brands and within a few weeks all was better, infact he became more active like he used to be. Strongly suggest you change brands!

What brand did you change to?

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Shi-tzu [Re: BigBob] #6549990
06/05/19 02:45 PM
06/05/19 02:45 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper7  Offline OP
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by BigBob
Fresh new grass in the spring can cause a skin allergy reaction from the pollen.

He's been scratching since last fall.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Shi-tzu [Re: Lugnut] #6549992
06/05/19 02:47 PM
06/05/19 02:47 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper7  Offline OP
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Lugnut
I've been feeding him Beneful and sometimes a little canned dog food. I keep hearing ads for Dyna-Vite on the radio and how people say it made a huge difference for their dog's scratching. Then, I hear horror stories about how they keep sending you dog food even when you've cancelled with them.

I forgot my lab's dog food when I went to camp beginning of May. The closest store that sells it is almost an hour away. So I went to a local store and got him a bag of Beneful.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What

His lips, face and eyes swelled up and got red. I was worried his throat might swell shut and kill him. I did some research on Beneful and found out the maker, Nestle Purina Petcare Global, had been sued on several occasions since Beneful's introduction in 2001 for the poisoning deaths of multiple dogs. Other lawsuits were brought when nasty chemicals were found in the dog food that was sickening dogs years after the poisoning deaths.

[Linked Image]

I went the next day and got him his regular food. I still have the almost full bag of Beneful if you want it. shocked

What brand did you switch to?

Re: Shi-tzu [Re: Trapper7] #6549995
06/05/19 02:57 PM
06/05/19 02:57 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper7  Offline OP
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Both Shi-tzus started out as my wife's. I had two American water spaniels. The spaniels got old and died, the last one just a few months ago. The Shi-tzus started filling in as my pals when the first spaniel died. They are both smart dogs, well house trained, and gentle. I have become attached to both. They both have their own personality. The smallest one (about 8 pounds wringing wet) thinks he's tough. He has chased deer out of our yard several times.

Re: Shi-tzu [Re: Trapper7] #6550019
06/05/19 03:57 PM
06/05/19 03:57 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Lugnut

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What brand did you switch to?

I went back to his regular brand, Pure Balance. We fed him Holistic Select from a pup on the advice of his breeders but it got hard to get when a local shop stopped carrying it. Had to start ordering it online. It was already expensive then I had to start paying shipping. We did a bunch of comparing and realized Pure Balance had almost identical ingredients in the identical order (indicates percentage) as the Holistic at about half the price. It's available at Walmart. Yeah, yeah, I know...Walmart. But it's a good quality food for a reasonable price, you can compare ingredients yourself.

And it doesn't half kill my dog like the Beneful did.

Eh...wot?

Re: Shi-tzu [Re: Trapper7] #6550023
06/05/19 04:03 PM
06/05/19 04:03 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper7  Offline OP
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
What I find interesting is that my other Shi-Tzu tolerates the Beneful fine.

BTW, You have a gorgeous, sharp looking dog. He'd be a priority if he were my dog too. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Re: Shi-tzu [Re: Trapper7] #6550250
06/06/19 12:06 AM
06/06/19 12:06 AM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
My son brought a stray one home 13 years ago. I was not pleased. I did not want a stinking yip yip kick-a-poo dog.
It didn't take long for that dog to grow on me and become my all time favorite dog, and I have had several great dogs of other breeds.
It chased the across-the-street neighbor's rottweiler back over their chain link fence for looking at her lawn. If you read up on that breed you will learn that they have a heart of a lion. Its a good thing that they have the jaws of a toothless bearded hag. With all of that, she is a real sweetheart. She just hates all other dogs, except for her own kind. If someone walks a Shih tzu down the street, she doesn't make a peep. When the grumpy old lady down the street walks her herd of wiener dogs, she goes absolutely ballistic.

Re: Shi-tzu [Re: Trapper7] #6550443
06/06/19 11:13 AM
06/06/19 11:13 AM
north dakota
k9gter Offline
trapper
k9gter  Offline
trapper

north dakota
One of my Shi-tzus has a bad itch problem. We've tried various sprays, Benadryl, allergy pills, etc. He scratches almost constantly his stomach which has turned pretty raw. Anybody have any ideas of what is causing it?

My shi tzu had it and i took hemp oil from a health food store and rubbed it on the dog and left it on for a couple of days then washed off and now no more itch problems. But you can bath them to much which removes the oil from there fur and skin which causes severe itching.

"live like its your last day on earth"
"Don't bring yesterdays problems into today"

Re: Shi-tzu [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6550446
06/06/19 11:17 AM
06/06/19 11:17 AM
north dakota
k9gter Offline
trapper
k9gter  Offline
trapper

north dakota
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Why would you have a shitzue? shocked

I like my couch hounds. Full of personality, they are.

[Linked Image]

Did you know that the shiz tzu is the closet dog related to the wolf. I didnt believe it either until i did some research and they are rated #1 of decendents of the wolf. Crazy. I have 3 of these crazy fun personality dogs.

"live like its your last day on earth"
"Don't bring yesterdays problems into today"

Re: Shi-tzu [Re: Trapper7] #6550456
06/06/19 11:42 AM
06/06/19 11:42 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper7  Offline OP
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
I'm going to try the food Pure Balance that Lugnut suggested. Got a local Walmart right near my office.

Re: Shi-tzu [Re: Trapper7] #6550469
06/06/19 12:06 PM
06/06/19 12:06 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper7  Offline OP
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
I believe they could be direct descendants of a wolf. My miniature, 8 pound shi-tzu has chased deer out of our yard a couple times. They take a look at him running at them and must be thinking, "You must be kidding!" I think they run because they think something that small is either dangerous or stupid. They decide on dangerous and run. He's not the dog with the scratching, licking problem, it's the larger shi-tzu. He probably weighs about 14 pounds.

My wife had been giving him a drug called Apoquel that seemed to help somewhat. But, I've read horror stories about the drug. Plus, the cost is around $2.00 a pill or $60 a month to treat him.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread