No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Painting a Canoe #6554642
06/13/19 07:15 AM
06/13/19 07:15 AM
Beaman Iowa 55
M
Mike Cope Offline OP
trapper
Mike Cope  Offline OP
trapper
M

Beaman Iowa 55
I just got an Older Grumman 17 foot square back canoe.

I want to paint it on the inside with a truck bedliner material. Bottom and up the sides about 7 inches. Same paint as outside for rest of inside.

The outside with a QUALITY paint/primer (like Aluma hawk) flat camo paint.

I have a pretty good grasp on surface prep and camo designs.

What I need to know is how much paint to order?? I do not want a bunch of waste and definitely don't want to have to stop project to wait for paint to get here.

Scuba??

It also has this:
[Linked Image]

It is well enough made and installed to have been a factory option, Anyone know if grumman offered some type of optional trim plates in the 70s??

Last edited by Horn; 06/13/19 07:29 AM.
Re: Painting a Canoe [Re: Mike Cope] #6554677
06/13/19 08:00 AM
06/13/19 08:00 AM
western pa
G
goldnut Offline
trapper
goldnut  Offline
trapper
G

western pa
Just figure out the square footage of the canoe. Your paint will tell you how much it will cover. Easy enough

Re: Painting a Canoe [Re: Mike Cope] #6554736
06/13/19 09:37 AM
06/13/19 09:37 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
the question I would ask my self is how much weight will that add?

will that matter to how you use the canoe ?

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Painting a Canoe [Re: Mike Cope] #6555062
06/13/19 06:51 PM
06/13/19 06:51 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Every decent paint manufacturer has data sheets online about their products that you can depend on. Measure it up to find the square footage of the thing. Then follow instructions on the data sheet and add a quart for those just in case moments. when you get the paint, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE TIN they put that stuff on there for a reason. They know, they invented the stuff, so don't take shortcuts if you want the best result you can get. Unless ya just want to squirt some paint at it and don't give a hoot what it looks like after you are done.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Painting a Canoe [Re: Mike Cope] #6555287
06/14/19 05:01 AM
06/14/19 05:01 AM
Beaman Iowa 55
M
Mike Cope Offline OP
trapper
Mike Cope  Offline OP
trapper
M

Beaman Iowa 55
Weight is not a real factor, a quart of paint is only going to add two pounds so a gallon will add 8 to a 75 is pound canoe. I'm no longer doing any lengthily portages.

I hear ya Scuba, I applied some paint to a couple of small boats boats while in the Coast Guard, I did the Prep and Paint, The BM1 did the ordering of the stuff so I never had to worry about quantities needed (I knew where the Flammable Locker was) .

I don't think I can get some of the products that we used back then, EPA and such.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread