Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Salmon eggs for bait #6558411
06/18/19 10:48 PM
06/18/19 10:48 PM
Uvalde Texas
B
BubbaCampbell Offline OP
trapper
BubbaCampbell  Offline OP
trapper
B

Uvalde Texas
I have a bunch of salmon eggs in the freezer and was thinking of putting some of the bosses bait solution in them and trying them. have any of you guys or gals used them before And how well did they work for you. Thanks for any input you may have.
Bubba

Re: Salmon eggs for bait [Re: BubbaCampbell] #6560500
06/22/19 06:01 PM
06/22/19 06:01 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
use straight eggs of trout just salted and kept in the fridge they work well on most fur bearers.

Re: Salmon eggs for bait [Re: BubbaCampbell] #6560787
06/23/19 09:03 AM
06/23/19 09:03 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
came across a truck wreck one year, seafood haul. there were boxes and boxes of salmon roe caviar in plastic pails, there were also crab legs and packages of tuna steaks strung way out into a field. We were allowed to take four cases of the caviar pails, and I took those home and stuck them in my freezer. These were about pea-sized, bright orange roe with no sauce or anything, pure fish eggs. all put up in pint sized containers. It was literally "manna" from heaven for a trapper on a low budget.
I caught a lot of coyotes and coon off of those for several years after that until my supply ran out. gave some to friends for bait, too.
dirtholes, pocket sets, you name it I baited a lot of sets with fish eggs for several seasons.
I never preserved any of them, just took out a container or two and thawed them out as I needed them. In late season line, they didn't spoil on me during setting or checking unless the weather got warm on me.
I am big on fish for coyote and coon work around here anyway (carp, etc.). anyway, that was my limited experience with salmon eggs for trapping.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Salmon eggs for bait [Re: jabNE] #6561237
06/23/19 09:29 PM
06/23/19 09:29 PM
Uvalde Texas
B
BubbaCampbell Offline OP
trapper
BubbaCampbell  Offline OP
trapper
B

Uvalde Texas
Thanks I’ll use them straight I appreciate your input
Bubba

Re: Salmon eggs for bait [Re: BubbaCampbell] #6566758
07/02/19 06:38 PM
07/02/19 06:38 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Being in the 'trout oil' business, I get loads of trout eggs in mid winter / early spring , from the processors that fillet trout.
I used a lot of it to catch channel cats , but most of it, I rendered down for lure base, which it actually is a fair product on the right formula.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91