No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Officer involved shooting GA [Re: Aaron Proffitt] #6567583
07/03/19 10:30 PM
07/03/19 10:30 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Originally Posted by Aaron Proffitt
Originally Posted by TreedaBlackdog
Is there protocol for the officer to re holster his firearm after shooting the individual? I am wondering why he did not continue to shoot when the man got up and charged again? Was he likely in shock from initially engaging the individual and from training had holstered his firearm? I thank the Lord there are those willing to put their lives on the line for each of us daily and I pray God grants these officers protections in their daily duties.

Could be a couple things. He might’ve thought the fight was over and was going to move forward to apply cuffs ( sounds strange, I know . But that’s policy in some departments. ) , maybe render first aid , etc.. Could simply be a training scar acquired at the range.

I had to watch the video again. It appears Officer Harrison (main bodycam) did not reholster but rather looked down to see where the knife was since he kicked the knife away which is seen at the 2:27 mark just below the yellow dash line in the median. Officer Harrison calls to tazer him and the suspect is almost on top of him. The suspect did not have another knife on him so Officer Harrison didn't fire his weapon and certainly didn't have time to reach for an alternate.

Re: Officer involved shooting GA [Re: wildflights] #6567635
07/04/19 12:10 AM
07/04/19 12:10 AM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline
trapper
coonman220  Offline
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
Jeez! I watched the vid. I can't believe the cop back up that far , as gun happy an gung ho as cops are, they would shot u dead. If didn't drop knife in few commands around here, an i doubt the cop would back up, an cops are not bad around here compare to some states, if someone come at me with a knife an i had gun, definately be shot

Re: Officer involved shooting GA [Re: wildflights] #6567643
07/04/19 12:30 AM
07/04/19 12:30 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Coonman, I think part of the reason for backing up was of the location of being at what looks like an apartment complex. You can see people walking in the parking lot. One miss or ricochet and it hits someone and it's a bigger mess for everyone involved.

Re: Officer involved shooting GA [Re: wildflights] #6567647
07/04/19 12:34 AM
07/04/19 12:34 AM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline
trapper
coonman220  Offline
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
Oh that's why, because usally police stand there ground

Re: Officer involved shooting GA [Re: coonman220] #6567666
07/04/19 05:01 AM
07/04/19 05:01 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Originally Posted by coonman220
Jeez! I watched the vid. I can't believe the cop back up that far , as gun happy an gung ho as cops are, they would shot u dead. If didn't drop knife in few commands around here, an i doubt the cop would back up, an cops are not bad around here compare to some states, if someone come at me with a knife an i had gun, definately be shot

Lots of folks think this way until they get punched in the mouth or put in a hostile environment where their life may or may not be on the line. Most realize very quickly after the encounter that your mind and body doesn't function like it does sitting behind a monitor with the answers.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Officer involved shooting GA [Re: wildflights] #6567684
07/04/19 07:03 AM
07/04/19 07:03 AM
PA Venango Co.
R
Ron Marsh Offline
trapper
Ron Marsh  Offline
trapper
R

PA Venango Co.
A prayer for wisdom and protection for all LEO.

PTA Lifetime #131N. Salvation Army CSM
Stakes: Why leave them?
ALWAYS John 3:16 814-516-2923
Re: Officer involved shooting GA [Re: ~ADC~] #6567689
07/04/19 07:21 AM
07/04/19 07:21 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Too bad they didn't have pepper spray or a taser on their belts with their guns. Shame to kill anyone, but with what they had to work with good job!

if you listen the officer asks for less lethal and Yellow shirt rushes him , after the initial shooting and yellow shirt gets up again when the officer says taze him yellow shirt is rushes the officer a second time.

Suicide by cop the guy did not want to live both times yellow shirt living sounded like a possibility the he rushed the officer.

with pepper spray you need to be short distance nearly arms reach for the size you can carry on your belt to work and it doesn't work on some people, blow back in the officers eyes is very real.
tazers are only about 10-15 feet and if fired at the front can be pulled off with an arm sweep so usually they try and get around a side and get the back and they only get one shot at it.

these officers really did try to not over use force and it nearly cost them.

this video could easily make the argument that when rolling up on a situation like this they automatically grab their long gun but many departments don't keep the rifle or shotgun accessible from the front seat some don't have any in the squad at all.

at some point officers are walking around with a lot of bulk and weight on their belts much of it with very limited use.

it would have been great if the 3rd guy on the scene had brought the orange rubber slug shotgun but it looked like 3 and 4 got there as the shooting was happening.

many departments don't even have a less lethal rubber slug or bean bag gun it is a tool that has cost , adds training , and has very limited use on fairly rare occasion.

this guy did not want to live .

it is very sad the officer was put in the position of taking the guys life but that is what happened

he was really trying too hard not to kill the the guy , he was shooting low maybe on purpose or maybe because of nerves , he should have been shooting on the second rush , trying to holster his gun and take the guy hand to hand wasn't good but it was this officer trying not to be the guy who killed Yellow shirt and it backfired and nearly got the officer hurt or killed.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 07/04/19 07:26 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Officer involved shooting GA [Re: wildflights] #6567750
07/04/19 08:54 AM
07/04/19 08:54 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Gcp good post. To me it doesn't look like he wasn't trying to reholster see my post on top of this page.

Re: Officer involved shooting GA [Re: wildflights] #6567789
07/04/19 09:56 AM
07/04/19 09:56 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Shows the importance of transparency. I know many didn't like the idea of body cams but this example shows the value.

Re: Officer involved shooting GA [Re: adam m] #6567855
07/04/19 11:30 AM
07/04/19 11:30 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by adam m
Gcp good post. To me it doesn't look like he wasn't trying to reholster see my post on top of this page.

he didn't holster right after the shooting he called in his shots on the radio that was all good it was while yellow shirt was charging him again.

at about 3:01 you can see officer Harrison is holstering as yellow shirt starts at him by the second body cam on officer Bidinger by 3:03 yellow shirt in on officer Harrison by 3:06 Harrison is on his way to the ground with yellow shirt trying to get hold of his gun in the next 2 seconds .

help did arrive at 3:05 and officer Bininger looked over very quickly then back

this is exactly why body cams are so important because being that shook up and acuratly getting the second by second right and form multiple angles

it isn't just in use of force , our small town department has been running the body cams now for about 2 years , storage is an issue . so they don't run all the time just when they are getting out of the car for a stop or a call.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Officer involved shooting GA [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6567900
07/04/19 12:10 PM
07/04/19 12:10 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by adam m

he didn't holster right after the shooting he called in his shots on the radio that was all good it was while yellow shirt was charging him again.

at about 3:01 you can see officer Harrison is holstering as yellow shirt starts at him by the second body cam on officer Bidinger by 3:03 yellow shirt in on officer Harrison by 3:06 Harrison is on his way to the ground with yellow shirt trying to get hold of his gun in the next 2 seconds .

help did arrive at 3:05 and officer Bininger looked over very quickly then back

this is exactly why body cams are so important because being that shook up and acuratly getting the second by second right and form multiple angles

it isn't just in use of force , our small town department has been running the body cams now for about 2 years , storage is an issue . so they don't run all the time just when they are getting out of the car for a stop or a call.

You are absolutely right. My apologies.
Yup storage is an issue for sure. The city here has the same policy. There have been a couple cases were the officer failed to turn on the body cam for whatever reason or they just stop recording.

Re: Officer involved shooting GA [Re: wildflights] #6567904
07/04/19 12:12 PM
07/04/19 12:12 PM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline
trapper
coonman220  Offline
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
He deserved what he got, u can be shot by police alot quicker than that in other situations or areas of us

Re: Officer involved shooting GA [Re: wildflights] #6568210
07/04/19 11:55 PM
07/04/19 11:55 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
The cop should have shot the perp as soon as he got back up and charged him. Sure, he was no longer armed, but as soon as he charged, it can be deemed that he was fixin' to arm himself with the cop's gun. Those are the rules of engagement in most places. I don't know about Georgia.

Re: Officer involved shooting GA [Re: wildflights] #6568213
07/05/19 12:14 AM
07/05/19 12:14 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Have a buddy that had to use deadly force. A high speed chase through multiple counties and it ended in ours when they crashed. Shots had already been fired from the vehicle being pursued and upon crashing they were ordered to stick their hands out the window and exit the car. The driver had had enough and complied. The passenger decided to come out with a weapon in each hand. Passenger was met with 4 shots. 2 from my buddy (M4) and 2 from another LEO. After autopsy my buddies were the bullets that connected...chest shots. The LEO with the pistol missed both shots.
After a lengthy investigation my buddy was found to be in the right. According to the driver the passenger wasn’t going back to prison.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread