No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Grapes grown by seed? #6566706
07/02/19 05:04 PM
07/02/19 05:04 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline OP
trapper
KeithC  Offline OP
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I know grapes are very easy to grow by cuttings. Last Summer, I spit a lot of grape seeds, from catawba grapes, into a flower bed and over a dozen grape vines have come up. There are wild grapes within 50 yards of where the catawba grapes are, so I would guess there is a fair possibility of cross pollination. I already have the materials to make more grape arbors and will be making an arbor for concord grapes soon. Is it likely a waste of time to build an arbor for the seedling grapevines, because the grapes may not be decent quality, or is it likely worth trying?

I do like the flavor of wild grapes, once sugar and water is added. It makes juice that tastes like Welch's.

Keith

Re: Grapes grown by seed? [Re: KeithC] #6566715
07/02/19 05:16 PM
07/02/19 05:16 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Curious here as well. No idea on grapes the percentages experienced with open pollination.
I know apples and pears are worth giving a chance in my experience even the worst pippins still make fair fruit. But then again Dad always did say you can always add enough sugar to anything. LOL

[Linked Image]
Re: Grapes grown by seed? [Re: KeithC] #6567203
07/03/19 11:14 AM
07/03/19 11:14 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
I have a wine grape that came from a pomace pile and is decent. Your chances of getting anything that is as good as the parent are pretty slim. Grapes (most) are self pollinating but you still end up with a lot of variation. Breeders will make select crosses and look at 10's of thousands of seedlings to get maybe one or two selections which they will look at further. Most never are released even if they made it past the preliminary trials for one fault or another.

I am the lucky grower of one such selection out of Geneva N.Y. 's breeding program. A seedless concord that is earlier and sweeter than the seeded one. Unfortunately, the grapes fall off the bunches when fully ripe for which reason it was never released to the public.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread