No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Trapping the Monongahela National Forest #6570851
07/09/19 05:51 PM
07/09/19 05:51 PM
Cambria co. PA
F
Fmjoutdoors Offline OP
trapper
Fmjoutdoors  Offline OP
trapper
F

Cambria co. PA
I am planning a hunting trip the the Monongahela national forest in November to try my luck at some west Virginia deer and bear i will be there for a week camping out each night. I was wondering if anyone had any experience trapping this national forest or any other national forest that is mostly timber and if it would be worth my while to also take along a few traps and try my luck there.

Re: Trapping the Monongahela National Forest [Re: Fmjoutdoors] #6570855
07/09/19 06:04 PM
07/09/19 06:04 PM
pennsylvania
R
rick brocious Offline
trapper
rick brocious  Offline
trapper
R

pennsylvania
Yes it would worth taking some and trying your luck . I have friends that trap the Allegheny national forest and they do well . We also run coyotes and cats there also .

Re: Trapping the Monongahela National Forest [Re: Fmjoutdoors] #6570872
07/09/19 06:46 PM
07/09/19 06:46 PM
West Virginia
S
Sshaffer Offline
trapper
Sshaffer  Offline
trapper
S

West Virginia
What part of the forest? I live where I have access to several square miles of the forest starting about 2 ft. Behind my garage.
Bear: Most places there are plenty of bear. Lots of dog hunters for bear and at times they are out there when you are. Finding bear is all based on food sources. If there is abundant mast bear are scattered, and it is very tough. If mast is poor and you find an area with mast you will be overrun with bear.
Deer: Most of the forest has not been timbered in decades. Very little browse and very low populations in these areas. In my area I truly doubt the population is more than 5 per square mile. A biologist told me the deer need a sack lunch. Now what is little known is that these mountains produce huge bucks. My biggest is a 13 point double drop tine that scored 171 1/8. Why? Age. Few hunters go into the mountains. They join hunt clubs so their hunting is not on foot. In the last 3 years I saw one hunter. Of course, there are some areas with more deer.
Fur:
Tons of Fisher though the limit is one.
Coon: Very low population in the forest.
Coyote: In the mature forested areas it is low. Few rabbits. Few squirrels. They just stay in more settled areas that is not just unbroken forest. No fields and edges so few rodents. They are here though.
Bobcats: In many mature forested areas they are nearly non-existent. Why? I asked that of the fur biologist. No small game. There are plenty in the state. Just not in alot of the mature forested areas. No rodents mean few bobcat.
Rats: Nope
Mink: Yes. But mostly along larger creeks and rivers.
Otter: Yes. Same as mink.
Weasels: A few.
I am not being negative. I love it here.
P.M. me. I can help with your Fisher.
Be advised you gotta walk. No atv’s or vehicles off the forest roads. Bear hunters run dogs year around here, except for when bear are hibernating. I trap from opening day until buck firearm season. Then not untill Jan1, the day after bear season closes. In most mountain counties bear with or without dogs season begins the Monday after the 2 week buck firearm season until 12/31. I would advise not trapping in Dec. in the forest for this reason. There are also earlier bear seasons with or without dogs, but they are before trapping season. Also bear may be hunted without dogs during the buck firearm season in most mountain counties.
I’d come for the opener of trapping season. Why? You can set and check traps in the morning. Bowhunt for deer and bear in the evening. Both season are in!! You have 2 good weeks at that time!!
Crosbows are legal.
Trapping opener is the first Sat. in Nov.
As of last year Sunday hunting is now allowed on public land.
Good Luck

Re: Trapping the Monongahela National Forest [Re: rick brocious] #6570884
07/09/19 07:09 PM
07/09/19 07:09 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by rick brocious
Yes it would worth taking some and trying your luck . I have friends that trap the Allegheny national forest and they do well . We also run coyotes and cats there also .

Also trapped in this forest when I had a camp there. Did fairly well also.

Re: Trapping the Monongahela National Forest [Re: Sshaffer] #6570895
07/09/19 07:42 PM
07/09/19 07:42 PM
Cambria co. PA
F
Fmjoutdoors Offline OP
trapper
Fmjoutdoors  Offline OP
trapper
F

Cambria co. PA
I plan on hunting either the canaan backcountry or the cranberry backcountry

Re: Trapping the Monongahela National Forest [Re: Fmjoutdoors] #6570903
07/09/19 08:03 PM
07/09/19 08:03 PM
West Virginia
S
Sshaffer Offline
trapper
Sshaffer  Offline
trapper
S

West Virginia
Canaan is not to far from me.
There are large bucks in there.
Otter Creek wilderness is good for large bucks. Bear.

Re: Trapping the Monongahela National Forest [Re: Sshaffer] #6570962
07/09/19 09:13 PM
07/09/19 09:13 PM
Cambria co. PA
F
Fmjoutdoors Offline OP
trapper
Fmjoutdoors  Offline OP
trapper
F

Cambria co. PA
thamks for the info really appreciate it

Re: Trapping the Monongahela National Forest [Re: Fmjoutdoors] #6571599
07/10/19 09:31 PM
07/10/19 09:31 PM
Morgantown, WV
D
Dfabs Offline
trapper
Dfabs  Offline
trapper
D

Morgantown, WV
Otter Creek is a nice area, and you might find some beaver or mink on Dry Fork. Blackwater River also has some beaver in it. It is a beautiful part of the state. Good luck with your trip. Visit the Blackwater Brewery while you are there.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread