No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Great Northern Fur [Re: Freepop] #6574791
07/16/19 07:54 AM
07/16/19 07:54 AM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
I think they got too big, too fast and couldn't handle the volume of fur they were receiving. Shipments kept coming in and they got overwhelmed.

Also, they were having problems finding employees to do the work. Fur dressing isn't for everyone. It is manual labor and probably pays barely above minimum wage.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: Great Northern Fur [Re: Freepop] #6575162
07/16/19 08:16 PM
07/16/19 08:16 PM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
well I posted on 5/03/19 that I talk with them an they said they were sending my fur back to me so I could have who I wanted , do it , still have not gotten my fur or any more calls from them mad

Re: Great Northern Fur [Re: Freepop] #6575179
07/16/19 08:47 PM
07/16/19 08:47 PM
Ohio
Keith Daniels Offline
trapper
Keith Daniels  Offline
trapper

Ohio
It was strictly a labor issue. Even at well above minimum wage to start you struggle to get anybody interested in this line of work. There is a long learning curve to being a knife operator, and to match beginning wages comparable to other skilled trades the dressing cost would be so high nobody would pay the price.

You'll see David at a lot of trappers conventions, representing Tubari. It's a tough time but feel confident he will do everything possible to make it right with everybody.

Keith Daniels
Retired OSTA President as of 4:50 P M 9/12/20
Re: Great Northern Fur [Re: Freepop] #6575340
07/17/19 01:47 AM
07/17/19 01:47 AM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
I'm glad you are confident that David (owner of the now defunct Great Northern Tannery) "will do everything possible to make it right with everybody".

Perhaps he should start by stay at home in Spooner, Wisconsin to straighten out the mess he has there with unreturned /missing pelts rather than running around to conventions promoting Tubari. Tubari is capable of doing their own promoting.

Just saying..........

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: Great Northern Fur [Re: Freepop] #6575457
07/17/19 09:02 AM
07/17/19 09:02 AM
Ohio
Keith Daniels Offline
trapper
Keith Daniels  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Well, since he now works for Tubari, I guess you could say that with him being out there that Tubari is doing their own promoting. I am not 100% sure of what the situation is on the fur, I know what he has told me the situation is and from our past dealings I have no reason to doubt his word. I do know that as of tomorrow his bear and deer skins will be pretty much taken care of.

Just sayin.....

Keith Daniels
Re: Great Northern Fur [Re: Keith Daniels] #6575468
07/17/19 09:12 AM
07/17/19 09:12 AM
NY
whartonrattrappe Offline
trapper
whartonrattrappe  Offline
trapper

NY
blush

Last edited by whartonrattrappe; 07/18/19 10:22 AM. Reason: Not fond of airing dirty laundy.
Re: Great Northern Fur [Re: Freepop] #6576006
07/18/19 12:10 AM
07/18/19 12:10 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Very interesting discussion. Some good points raised.

Re: Great Northern Fur [Re: Freepop] #6576187
07/18/19 10:06 AM
07/18/19 10:06 AM
Ohio
Keith Daniels Offline
trapper
Keith Daniels  Offline
trapper

Ohio
If your fur is at Tubari my thought would be, even though it's not a good situation, he is doing what he feels best to remedy a bad situation. Many times business's have issues, not just dressing or tanning business's, not something that was expected and certainly not something that was wanted or desirable. When there are two options, cut and run, which is most commonplace in today's world, or try to work out a solution where the customer at least gets their items back, eventually, the first option is the simple way out, but the second option is the upstanding way.

The bear are done and all but the last 13 deer, which are going in tan now, are done. We have taken a couple calls from people who they go to, nobody is hiding the fact that a bad situation needed fixed and how it's being fixed. The bear and deer customers know we have them, he's not hiding it, from what i saw the fur customers were notified of the Tubari deal, status of that I have no clue about, only what I handled. He will be here shortly to pick up finished items, I'll tell him to call you, pm me your name and number if you think he may not know who you are.

Keith Daniels
Re: Great Northern Fur [Re: Pike River] #6576193
07/18/19 10:12 AM
07/18/19 10:12 AM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted by Pike River
Originally Posted by wissmiss
It is official. Great Northern is shutting down. Here is a link to the announcement on their web site.

https://gnfur.com

It is too bad they are closing. They did very good work in the beginning. We could have used another good tannery. Now Moyles and Tubari and other tanneries will get more business.

I feel sorry for the folks that have had goods sitting there for a year. I hope Tubari puts a rush on those orders and gets them done right away.

For those of you with pelts there, keep us posted as to how this plays out.

Thank you for posting the link.

Does anyone know what those circumstances are? I wonder if they got into some regulation trouble or some silly government technicality.

No, it is very expensive to open a new tannery and government regulation adds to the paper work and expense. Finding help that wanted to work hard and do a good/dedicated job was described to me as being the biggest impediment to GNF's success.

Re: Great Northern Fur [Re: Keith Daniels] #6576201
07/18/19 10:21 AM
07/18/19 10:21 AM
NY
whartonrattrappe Offline
trapper
whartonrattrappe  Offline
trapper

NY
Originally Posted by Keith Daniels
If your fur is at Tubari my thought would be, even though it's not a good situation, he is doing what he feels best to remedy a bad situation. Many times business's have issues, not just dressing or tanning business's, not something that was expected and certainly not something that was wanted or desirable. When there are two options, cut and run, which is most commonplace in today's world, or try to work out a solution where the customer at least gets their items back, eventually, the first option is the simple way out, but the second option is the upstanding way.

The bear are done and all but the last 13 deer, which are going in tan now, are done. We have taken a couple calls from people who they go to, nobody is hiding the fact that a bad situation needed fixed and how it's being fixed. The bear and deer customers know we have them, he's not hiding it, from what i saw the fur customers were notified of the Tubari deal, status of that I have no clue about, only what I handled. He will be here shortly to pick up finished items, I'll tell him to call you, pm me your name and number if you think he may not know who you are.

PM sent.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread