ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
an abnormal mole #6601996
08/24/19 12:15 PM
08/24/19 12:15 PM
Eastern Iowa
Joe Taylor Offline OP
trapper
Joe Taylor  Offline OP
trapper

Eastern Iowa
There have been some unusual stories and situations shared recently about moles, so I thought I’d share my own. I’m running an interesting mole job that I’ve never seen before. It’s behind a condo duplex with acres of well manicured lawn. Both units have elevated 4-season rooms with river rock underneath as landscaping.

[Linked Image]

There was a single surface runway leading from the rock out 10-feet into the lawn. Then two surface runs, one next to each foundation, and none of these three runs were connected with surface runs. In looking at the vast lawn space with no mole activity, I figured this mole had abandoned a distant run, had traveled above ground, and dug down into this area.

[Linked Image]

I set traps in the lawn (not under the river rock, as I didn’t want to risk snapping onto rock), and came back a few days later with no catch. I was speaking with the condo owner how its common to get the catch fairly quickly, and he commented that there had been a mole there two years ago that was never caught. That piqued my interest, and so I probed into the river rock run and eventually discovered a very well maintained, deep run, with no mounding anywhere.

My conclusion as of now is that this mole has been living under the river rock for at least these past two years. Any initial mounding has long since been removed, erasing an important line of evidence I would have been looking for. This mole has found adequate food in its deep tunneling and only very rarely makes a trek to the surface. I’ve been running the traps for well over a month now. I eventually removed the traps from the lawn, and now only have traps in the rocky landscaping to monitor the runs in hopes the mole will eventually come back up from the deep belly of the earth.

Joe Taylor
Paw Control Wildlife Solutions | pawcontrol.com
Re: an abnormal mole [Re: Joe Taylor] #6602073
08/24/19 02:02 PM
08/24/19 02:02 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
About the only thing you can count on is, you can't count on anything! LOL

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread