No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
New Bonis machine and some recent projects #6605486
08/29/19 11:08 AM
08/29/19 11:08 AM
SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
B
bur Offline OP
trapper
bur  Offline OP
trapper
B

SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
I got a Bonis machine back in April. Finally been putting it to some use. Going from handsewing to the Bonis was like trading in a handsaw for a chainsaw. I thought I'd share a few pictures for those who like to see.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Happy Trapping . . .
Re: New Bonis machine and some recent projects [Re: bur] #6605495
08/29/19 11:23 AM
08/29/19 11:23 AM
Iowa.
I
imissed Offline
trapper
imissed  Offline
trapper
I

Iowa.
Looks like some nice work.

Are you doing it for fun and as a business?

Wouldn't mind a pair of those beaver mitts.

All I have to do now is get a beaver!

WISH I HAD MORE TIME TO TRAP!
Re: New Bonis machine and some recent projects [Re: bur] #6605501
08/29/19 11:29 AM
08/29/19 11:29 AM
Suffolk new york
M
Miley Offline
trapper
Miley  Offline
trapper
M

Suffolk new york
How was the learning curve on the machine? Great looking work!

Re: New Bonis machine and some recent projects [Re: bur] #6605516
08/29/19 12:03 PM
08/29/19 12:03 PM
Maine
J
Jonnytrapper Offline
trapper
Jonnytrapper  Offline
trapper
J

Maine
Looks good! Looks like you do fur pointed up on the mits. I've always done fur down but a friend asked me about doing it your way for riding a snowmobile. Is that your preference or just the way you happen to make them?

Re: New Bonis machine and some recent projects [Re: imissed] #6605575
08/29/19 01:45 PM
08/29/19 01:45 PM
SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
B
bur Offline OP
trapper
bur  Offline OP
trapper
B

SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
Originally Posted by imissed
Looks like some nice work.

Are you doing it for fun and as a business?

Wouldn't mind a pair of those beaver mitts.

All I have to do now is get a beaver!

Imissed I do it as a self supporting hobby. I started handsewing hats for myself and that turned into making stuff for other people. I really enjoy making things, I just didn't have the time to do much handsewing anymore. So I used my trapping income from last year and bought the Bonis. Send me a message and I'll be happy to discuss options for making you a pair

Happy Trapping . . .
Re: New Bonis machine and some recent projects [Re: Miley] #6605577
08/29/19 01:47 PM
08/29/19 01:47 PM
SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
B
bur Offline OP
trapper
bur  Offline OP
trapper
B

SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
Originally Posted by Miley
How was the learning curve on the machine? Great looking work!

Miley I am not a master furrier by any means, but in a couple hours I was putting together hats. Still learning more about the machine, but it didn't take long to get the basics down. I bought it from Chuck Bonis out of FL. He was very helpful over the phone when I was setting up the machine and had questions on how to operate. Super gentlemen to deal with.

Happy Trapping . . .
Re: New Bonis machine and some recent projects [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6605582
08/29/19 01:53 PM
08/29/19 01:53 PM
SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
B
bur Offline OP
trapper
bur  Offline OP
trapper
B

SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
Originally Posted by Jonnytrapper
Looks good! Looks like you do fur pointed up on the mits. I've always done fur down but a friend asked me about doing it your way for riding a snowmobile. Is that your preference or just the way you happen to make them?

Jonny, we don't have snow here, so I have always done the fur running back for riding boats and ATVs. I actually made this pair for myself. The hide isn't great and you can see where it was practically cut in half from a snare. When I first started beaver trapping, I caught this beaver in a snare but he broke the cable do to some oversight on my part. I was determined to catch it again. 2 weeks later I got him on a blind foothold. I learned quite a bit from this beaver, and about trapping educated beavers (and how to educate beavers). I thought it would be cool to make them into something I could use as a reminder that hard work, patience, and some humility can get you through most situations.

Happy Trapping . . .
Re: New Bonis machine and some recent projects [Re: bur] #6605613
08/29/19 03:17 PM
08/29/19 03:17 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
What do you have on the palms? Is it just a single layer of deerskin? I have a pair of beaver mitts with a palm of elkhide and backed by a layer of fleece on the inside. But still the palms of my hands can feel the cold. I'd really like a layer of fur on the palms, somehow. I don't know how it would feel or fare on the inside of the palm.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: New Bonis machine and some recent projects [Re: Kart29] #6605637
08/29/19 03:57 PM
08/29/19 03:57 PM
SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
B
bur Offline OP
trapper
bur  Offline OP
trapper
B

SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
Originally Posted by Kart29
What do you have on the palms? Is it just a single layer of deerskin? I have a pair of beaver mitts with a palm of elkhide and backed by a layer of fleece on the inside. But still the palms of my hands can feel the cold. I'd really like a layer of fur on the palms, somehow. I don't know how it would feel or fare on the inside of the palm.

Kart, yes, just a single layer of buckskin. you could easily add a piece of sheared beaver or otter to the back side of that. The fur would be sandwiched between the palm and the liner. Would make for a more snug fit, but would add warmth. I made a pair like that last year for a 4 yr old boy. I used otter as the palm, and faced the leather out.

I'm down in SC, so a lightweight fleece is all we really need for a liner

Happy Trapping . . .
Re: New Bonis machine and some recent projects [Re: bur] #6607447
09/01/19 02:21 PM
09/01/19 02:21 PM
Maine
J
Jonnytrapper Offline
trapper
Jonnytrapper  Offline
trapper
J

Maine
Originally Posted by bur
Originally Posted by Jonnytrapper

Jonny, we don't have snow here, so I have always done the fur running back for riding boats and ATVs. I actually made this pair for myself. The hide isn't great and you can see where it was practically cut in half from a snare. When I first started beaver trapping, I caught this beaver in a snare but he broke the cable do to some oversight on my part. I was determined to catch it again. 2 weeks later I got him on a blind foothold. I learned quite a bit from this beaver, and about trapping educated beavers (and how to educate beavers). I thought it would be cool to make them into something I could use as a reminder that hard work, patience, and some humility can get you through most situations.

That makes sense. Around here fur pointed up collects snow but I've never had a snow machine and what my friend said made sense. I have a hat and mits from the first beaver I got too. Was under the ice with a snare. It's great to have such a treasure.

Last edited by Jonnytrapper; 09/01/19 06:33 PM.
Re: New Bonis machine and some recent projects [Re: bur] #6607594
09/01/19 07:58 PM
09/01/19 07:58 PM
NY
V
VH60 Offline
trapper
VH60  Offline
trapper
V

NY
Bur , how hard was it to get a Bonis machine ?

Re: New Bonis machine and some recent projects [Re: VH60] #6607678
09/01/19 10:59 PM
09/01/19 10:59 PM
SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
B
bur Offline OP
trapper
bur  Offline OP
trapper
B

SOUTH CAROLINA - SC
Originally Posted by VH60
Bur , how hard was it to get a Bonis machine ?

Not very. Called up Chuck at Bonis Sales and he helped me decide on the correct machine for my needs. I paid him and he mailed me the head promptly. I ordered a knock down table combo with servo motor and was in business. I had to drill the holes in the table for the head, But Chuck sent me a template, and was available via telephone to help with any questions while setting it up. Super guy to deal with, and great customer service. Glad I decided to buy from a reputable source, was worth every penny.

Happy Trapping . . .
Re: New Bonis machine and some recent projects [Re: bur] #6607713
09/02/19 12:26 AM
09/02/19 12:26 AM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Would you post a web page or contact info for the Bonis company … I have used them before and was just thinking about one of them the other day, but my failing memory couldn't for the life of me remember the name of them. Would appreciate it.

I FOUND IT … THANKS

Garry-

Last edited by Actor; 09/02/19 12:53 PM.

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: New Bonis machine and some recent projects [Re: bur] #6607852
09/02/19 08:58 AM
09/02/19 08:58 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Looks Awesome

NRA and NTA Life Member