No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Southeastern USA trappers precautions for snakes [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6607325
09/01/19 11:11 AM
09/01/19 11:11 AM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
not much you can do, usually walking/wading around in tall weeds/grass so can't see where your stepping, feel a hit now and then on the side of your boot to let you know a cottonmouth is by your foot, stepped on a gator one time and it shot off into the deep nearly jerking my feet out from under me, walked on the bank after that at that spot, lol.

Not in gator country so usually don't have to worry with those. Seen more timber rattler's this summer than I have before and this time of year is when they are migrating, luckily
they don't have the temper copperheads and cottonmouth's do.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Southeastern USA trappers precautions for snakes [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6607387
09/01/19 12:55 PM
09/01/19 12:55 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Cottonmouths aren’t always near (as in feet or yards) water. That’s the main snake in our area. I find them in hardwoods and pines all the time...mainly the pines. Never had one chase me or ever actually seen one chase anyone. Never had but one strike and I never saw him until he struck. Was walking to a feeder in the middle of a ragweed field. As soon as it struck it hightailed it out of the field and headed for cover. Most of the time they’ll coil and show you their namesake. Actually a very docile snake just like a canebreak.
Now the water snakes are some curious snakes. They’ll swim right up to you and even try and get in your boat. They’re generally the ones that are on the limbs and overhangs.
The main snake I really keep an eye out for is the copperhead and Eastern diamondback. Copperheads blend in unbelievably well and the Eastern is just cantankerous, he may bite or may not.

Re: Southeastern USA trappers precautions for snakes [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6609022
09/03/19 07:04 PM
09/03/19 07:04 PM
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
R
Riverotter2 Offline
trapper
Riverotter2  Offline
trapper
R

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
You can get pop in your yard down here so just relax and enjoy our 110 heat index, no air moving at all days. Just watch out for the skeeters and ticks them things can kill you.

Re: Southeastern USA trappers precautions for snakes [Re: ky_coyote_hunter] #6609031
09/03/19 07:19 PM
09/03/19 07:19 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Online crying
"Wilbur"
Savell  Online Crying
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
Originally Posted by the Blak Spot

I think i'd rather trap beaver down here with snakes, then trap under ice a freeze my nose off
Ditto, and it blows my mind how people up north get bent out of shape over snakes, but think nothing of trekking around Grizzly Bear country.

I would rather kiss a copperhead than cross paths with a grizz.

I’d beat a grizzly to death with a copperhead after I kissed them both lol

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Southeastern USA trappers precautions for snakes [Re: Riverotter2] #6609037
09/03/19 07:46 PM
09/03/19 07:46 PM
Iowa.
I
imissed Offline
trapper
imissed  Offline
trapper
I

Iowa.
Originally Posted by Riverotter2
You can get pop in your yard down here so just relax and enjoy our 110 heat index, no air moving at all days. Just watch out for the skeeters and ticks them things can kill you.

We sometimes get 100+ degree heat index up here. Not much fun.

So you can keep your heat index and your snakes.

I'll take a 20 degree day, sitting on 2-3 ft. of ice and fishing through a 8" hole. Less stressful then worrying about getting bit by a deadly snake.

And you don't need a cooler to keep the beer cold!

Brad

Last edited by imissed; 09/04/19 08:09 PM.

WISH I HAD MORE TIME TO TRAP!
Re: Southeastern USA trappers precautions for snakes [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6609364
09/04/19 08:03 AM
09/04/19 08:03 AM
Winter Springs, Florida
D
Davexx1 Offline
trapper
Davexx1  Offline
trapper
D

Winter Springs, Florida
I have had cottonmouths come toward me when I was walking/hunting along thru very shallow water but I don't think they were "chasing" me. I suspect they are attracted to the vibrations in the water that was created by my slow footsteps as I walked along slowly in the water. But, seeing a big cottonmouth coming toward you for any reason will get your undivided attention.

Dave

Re: Southeastern USA trappers precautions for snakes [Re: Davexx1] #6609458
09/04/19 10:55 AM
09/04/19 10:55 AM
West Tennessee
D
doublesettrigger Offline
trapper
doublesettrigger  Offline
trapper
D

West Tennessee
Originally Posted by Davexx1
I have had cottonmouths come toward me when I was walking/hunting along thru very shallow water but I don't think they were "chasing" me. I suspect they are attracted to the vibrations in the water that was created by my slow footsteps as I walked along slowly in the water. But, seeing a big cottonmouth coming toward you for any reason will get your undivided attention.

Dave

I have had them come at me striking the whole time. Most of them just lie there with their head cocked back and their mouth wide open and don't strike but some of them are very aggressive.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread