No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: lumberjack391] #6613219
09/09/19 11:25 PM
09/09/19 11:25 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
I got pinched out of a 125 acre farm to some stupid online phone app buy-a-hunt setup. The landowner contacts the company that they want to participate in the program and it gets put on their website where random folks use their phone to book daily hunts. I think it costs the hunter $40/day. $30 goes to the landowner, and $10 goes to online booking company.
What is this world coming to?!

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: lumberjack391] #6613226
09/09/19 11:32 PM
09/09/19 11:32 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Paid bird hunting killed traditional hunting in SD years ago, many of the best deer areas are now (big bucks) hunts only.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: lumberjack391] #6613534
09/10/19 01:20 PM
09/10/19 01:20 PM
wantage n.j.
E
eric space Offline
trapper
eric space  Offline
trapper
E

wantage n.j.
Lumberjack, most of the farms I trap are leased to deer hunters. You like water trapping. What got me in the door was doing nuisance beaver in the summer. I never charged the farmers and have more places to trap than I can get to. Deer hunters are a dime a dozen but good beaver trappers are rare. Note: Make sure the farmer or farm workers SEE every beaver you catch.

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: GritGuy] #6613542
09/10/19 01:31 PM
09/10/19 01:31 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Originally Posted by GritGuy
Why is it absurd for deer hunters to pay for a lease, when you state your self you would do the same for trapping right's ?

People own the ground and wish to make money off it, whether its cattle, agriculture or hunting of any kind, and they are the bad people for doing so. What people used to walk all over without a care in the world, knowing all the time who owned it but never asking or giving back.

Always irks me when people get upset they can't just go all over others ground any more, cause they choose to support them selves off it in a way the free loaders don't like.

It's not to late to gather up some friends and do the same as the deer hunters do before more ground is gone !

Lets be real Grit, not everyone that enjoys hunting, trapping and fishing can afford to go buy their own piece. If they've hunted a piece for years and even helped the landowner with doing things around the farm to help out it sucks to
lose this ground. They are not faulting the way things are going but they have every right to be bummed about it. I am fortunate to have access to 280 acres that buts up to my 1 acre cabin property. I have hunted and trapped it
for years, I have told the landowner if they ever decide to lease to please contact me first. Of course they have every right not to go that route. If they do I guess I shouldn't be bummed and down about it?

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: lumberjack391] #6613550
09/10/19 01:40 PM
09/10/19 01:40 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
A guy can do a lot more then just pay to hunt/trap in many places like helping out around the places is a good way. I give out eggs to my landowners and help out with planting/harvest even if it's just driving a truck for a few days. I ADC trap for free when needed a lot of guy won't trap in the off season without getting paid so maybe they should pay when the fun stuff comes around.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: lumberjack391] #6613661
09/10/19 05:25 PM
09/10/19 05:25 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
bass10, I bet you would be surprised at just how many people go in on some of them leases to hunt on and they take turns going each year.

Don't give me that excuse, if anyone wants something bad enough they save or find away to attain it !

Not all leases are a fortune either, but take a monarch off it then your going to lose it after that knowledge gets around from people offering over ya for a chance at another. Nature of the beast to always want what others get, the cheaper they can do so the better, thats why you usually never hear of what they pay for a lease, they don't want to lose the ground any more than any one else does !

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: danny clifton] #6613662
09/10/19 05:26 PM
09/10/19 05:26 PM
Cheyenne Wyoming
C
Castormound Offline
trapper
Castormound  Offline
trapper
C

Cheyenne Wyoming
Originally Posted by danny clifton
grit guy I agree. private property is private. raise the per head rate of cattle on blm to the same per head rate paid for pasture in the flint hills. cut off access to anybody the rancher doesn't give permission to. then cut off all the ag subsidies. all of them. including the extra tax breaks. then let the chips fall where they will

My thoughts also.

Antelope, the original fast food!!
Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: Law Dog] #6613664
09/10/19 05:30 PM
09/10/19 05:30 PM
Cheyenne Wyoming
C
Castormound Offline
trapper
Castormound  Offline
trapper
C

Cheyenne Wyoming
Originally Posted by Law Dog
A guy can do a lot more then just pay to hunt/trap in many places like helping out around the places is a good way. I give out eggs to my landowners and help out with planting/harvest even if it's just driving a truck for a few days. I ADC trap for free when needed a lot of guy won't trap in the off season without getting paid so maybe they should pay when the fun stuff comes around.

I'm on call all year round for beaver issues, that goes a long way. Trapped skunks and coons a few times during the summer also

Antelope, the original fast food!!
Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: lumberjack391] #6613670
09/10/19 05:36 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Agricultural land leased for hunting should no longer qualify for agricultural tax breaks when it comes to property tax, it should be taxed as recreational land.

As far as losing trapping spots to deer leases, just start predator trapping and charge for it.

Last edited by Donnersurvivor; 09/10/19 05:37 PM.
Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: eric space] #6613671
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by eric space
Lumberjack, most of the farms I trap are leased to deer hunters. You like water trapping. What got me in the door was doing nuisance beaver in the summer. I never charged the farmers and have more places to trap than I can get to. Deer hunters are a dime a dozen but good beaver trappers are rare. Note: Make sure the farmer or farm workers SEE every beaver you catch.

That's exactly how I obtained some nice trapping AND deer hunting properties.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6613673
09/10/19 05:41 PM
09/10/19 05:41 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Agricultural land leased for hunting should no longer qualify for agricultural tax breaks when it comes to property tax, it should be taxed as recreational land.

As far as losing trapping spots to deer leases, just start predator trapping and charge for it.

That leasing land to hunters comes with a whole different set of problems.here in NY,if you let someone on your property for recreational purposes,and DONT charge them,you are immune from being sued if someone gets hurt recreating.But if you do charge, then you best hope no one gets hurt or kilt.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6613678
09/10/19 05:48 PM
09/10/19 05:48 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor

And make sure they have a guiding/outfitter license too!

Cold as ice!
Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: Castormound] #6613692
09/10/19 06:05 PM
09/10/19 06:05 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by Castormound
Originally Posted by danny clifton
grit guy I agree. private property is private. raise the per head rate of cattle on blm to the same per head rate paid for pasture in the flint hills. cut off access to anybody the rancher doesn't give permission to. then cut off all the ag subsidies. all of them. including the extra tax breaks. then let the chips fall where they will

My thoughts also.

Mine too!

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: lumberjack391] #6613709
09/10/19 06:30 PM
09/10/19 06:30 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
antler worship is not doing anybody any good

antler worshippers should just get together once a year in san Francisco, unzip their flys and let Richard simmons measure. then they could go home secure in the knowledge of who is biggest and who got in the johnny Johnson book, and go back to being deer hunters.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: lumberjack391] #6613735
09/10/19 07:18 PM
09/10/19 07:18 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Danny, what makes you think every lease is bought out by Antler hunters ? Your beginning to sound like all of that fake news out there lately, just cause it does not fit your opinions !

Yea there are leases bought up for that, and they are the more expensive ones and larger piece's of ground, however there are quite a lot of hunters who do band together just to hunt without having to have jack wad general hunters run rough shod all over the country just cause they are used to doing so !

Some just cannot get it into their heads that there are all kinds of hunters who enjoy the outdoors, and just because some don't fit other's ideas of hunting does not make them any less important to enjoy the activity.

I used to be so against long range shooters calling them selves hunters, due to not doing any of the regular work of close in hunters, but then understood that nothing would ever convince them they are not a "regular" hunter just cause they will shoot a half a mile or more at game. Just like I would shoot 400 yds at a standing coyote.

So I just put up with their egos and let them rant, kinda like here on certain subjects, it makes no sense to really try to have people understand that owners can do what they want with their property, some feel they have an inherent right to march all over it, no matter of reason from the owner, just because they have done so without notice for years, like thats a rule in the books after so long doing so LOL

[Linked Image]

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: lumberjack391] #6613745
09/10/19 07:30 PM
09/10/19 07:30 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
here in ks its antler hunters

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: lumberjack391] #6613750
09/10/19 07:36 PM
09/10/19 07:36 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
I'm sure it's the same where ever there are lease's, we have those lease areas here as well I know for a fact, I'm just saying that everyone has a right to hunt, but they have to do it within the legalities they are bound by in that area, whether it's on leased land or not.

[Linked Image]

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: GritGuy] #6613833
09/10/19 09:04 PM
09/10/19 09:04 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Danny, what makes you think every lease is bought out by Antler hunters ? Your beginning to sound like all of that fake news out there lately, just cause it does not fit your opinions !

Yea there are leases bought up for that, and they are the more expensive ones and larger piece's of ground, however there are quite a lot of hunters who do band together just to hunt without having to have jack wad general hunters run rough shod all over the country just cause they are used to doing so !

Some just cannot get it into their heads that there are all kinds of hunters who enjoy the outdoors, and just because some don't fit other's ideas of hunting does not make them any less important to enjoy the activity.

I used to be so against long range shooters calling them selves hunters, due to not doing any of the regular work of close in hunters, but then understood that nothing would ever convince them they are not a "regular" hunter just cause they will shoot a half a mile or more at game. Just like I would shoot 400 yds at a standing coyote.

So I just put up with their egos and let them rant, kinda like here on certain subjects, it makes no sense to really try to have people understand that owners can do what they want with their property, some feel they have an inherent right to march all over it, no matter of reason from the owner, just because they have done so without notice for years, like thats a rule in the books after so long doing so LOL

Can you supply the post where someone, anyone said that they don’t think landowners should be able to do what they want with their property? Why turn this into something that fits your thoughts with made up BS? A guy has every right to be bummed out over losing ground he’s hunted for years as you have every right to think he should be ok with it!

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: Law Dog] #6613839
09/10/19 09:08 PM
09/10/19 09:08 PM
North dakota
N
Nd native Offline
trapper
Nd native  Offline
trapper
N

North dakota
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Paid bird hunting killed traditional hunting in SD years ago, many of the best deer areas are now (big bucks) hunts only.

Leasing has pretty much ruined good snow goose hunting here. Everyone seems to want to have everything to themselves. Then again, trappers want big catches filling the truck bed, deer hunters want a buck with big antlers, pheasant hunters want a good tailgate photo.

Re: How many have lost a lot of ground over deer lease [Re: lumberjack391] #6613842
09/10/19 09:11 PM
09/10/19 09:11 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
If I want to bowl a 300 game am I to be chastised by the people that just want to bowl for fun? If I like the challenge of mature 5 plus year old bucks I guess I have to go to San Francisco and compare my junk? Nobody is knocking your passion why knock theirs?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread