No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
question for plumbers #6617475
09/15/19 09:17 AM
09/15/19 09:17 AM

K
krispcritter OP
Unregistered
krispcritter OP
Unregistered
K

I have not dug it up yet so I don't know what I will find. If my cast iron waste line is broken from the tree falling on it (previous post...hold onto your hat's) is there a better connection for going from cast to PVC pipe on a waste line then a Fernco fitting? The cast is 4 inch (out of the house) and I think the PVC maybe 6 inch (town sewer). If this is the case, I was planning on extending the PVC over the cast and using a 4 to 6 coupler to seal the connection.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I can tell from the pics that the pipe has shifted. Part of the pipe is imbedded in the wood. So I'm assuming that the pipe is cracked or broken in the ground at this joint.

Re: question for plumbers [Re: ] #6617492
09/15/19 09:35 AM
09/15/19 09:35 AM
Piney va. soon be 19
cotton Offline
trapper
cotton  Offline
trapper

Piney va. soon be 19
fernco / no hub fittings is about the best to use.
keep digging dang cast iron can brake bad when hit like that

John 3/16

ifin your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough
VTA life member

Re: question for plumbers [Re: ] #6617516
09/15/19 10:05 AM
09/15/19 10:05 AM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
I'd check a longer section than just that small area if your going to dig up that one area it could be cracked further than you think a complete replacement maybe in order .
With fall coming on tree roots spread out and seem to go straight to cast iron sewer lines and will expand cracks searching for moisture which in time will plug the line then a sewer machine will become your new best friend until you pull the cable back and find mud on the blade.
There are products that will kill roots but it's a temporary solution to a problem that can be fixed by replacing the line.
Allan

Re: question for plumbers [Re: ] #6617555
09/15/19 10:51 AM
09/15/19 10:51 AM

K
krispcritter OP
Unregistered
krispcritter OP
Unregistered
K

Thanks for the replies. Familiar with the tree root stuff. Dealt with it at my fathers home. The distance from where that pipe is to the elbow for the whole waste line is like 5 foot. the plumbing was added to the house sometime in the mid 1900's after the house was built. Easier to get to it from outside them from the inside of the house. It's only about 1 foot below grade at the house then drops steep to the town connection. (was originally on septic until town ran water and sewer and filled in the septic) Who ever added the plumbing dug a trench to the waste line and they were skinny. lol I got wedged and stuck a few times when I replaced the water lines and redid the kitchen sink drain.(less than 1 foot between ground and floor joists. Some places were talking inches.) I kind of hope insurance will cover replacing the whole thing. I think I know someone who would sign off on my work if I replaced all the cast with PCV. Would allow me to really stretch the money. Will know more after Monday.

Re: question for plumbers [Re: ] #6617571
09/15/19 11:35 AM
09/15/19 11:35 AM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
I have used a Fernco fitting and then used fiberglass and epoxy over it and the same with cracks in old sewer lines. Clean it the best you can and then start wrapping it with layers of fiberglass and epoxy. I have a replacement job on a rental I did over 30 years ago still holding. No pressure on a sewer line so it seems to work great showed it to a plumber friend of mine and he has used it where it expensive to repair or replace.

Re: question for plumbers [Re: ] #6617599
09/15/19 12:19 PM
09/15/19 12:19 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
What is wrong with Fernco fittings just as they are. They allow for some flexing. JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: question for plumbers [Re: ] #6617669
09/15/19 02:21 PM
09/15/19 02:21 PM
Goldsboro, NC
John C Offline
trapper
John C  Offline
trapper

Goldsboro, NC
The flexing can be the problem underground. One pipe will sag beneath the other the. You have stoppages. We use Shielded Fernco coupling. They have a stainless steel band with hose clamps the width of the fernco between the outside hose clamps. Haven’t had one sag yet.

More Cowbell
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread