No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Moultrie Cellular Trail Camera $105 #6629206
09/30/19 11:33 AM
09/30/19 11:33 AM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline OP
trapper
tlguy  Offline OP
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Just a heads up for anyone who's been on the fence about getting a cellular trail camera. I remember when these things first came out, they had a hefty price tag. Now there are a few options in the sub-$200 price range. I was talking with some family at a party this past weekend about my Moultrie XA-7000i cellular trail camera and went to the Cabela's website to send them the link and noticed they have them on sale right now for $155, plus Moultrie is offering a $50 mail-in rebate through the end of the year. I've had mine up and running for a couple months and have been fairly pleased with it. It's leaps and bounds better than my other cheap-o cameras.

The Moultrie Mobile app lets you view the photos, sort by any parameter you want, manage camera settings, etc. It transmits low-res images through the app, but allows you to request the high-res version if you want a better view or want to share a higher quality image. The data plan is month to month and you can start/stop anytime, the plan I have now is 850 images for $10/month. Without the plan, the camera operates just like a traditional camera that you can swap cards and check photos that way. With the plan, the SD card still stores the images and videos for download later.

There are other affordable options out there, like the SpyPoint Link Micro 4G, that you can link multiple cameras to the same data plan (which is also cheaper), but I like the quality of the images I get with the Moultrie.

I'm not affiliated with Moultrie, just thought I would share a good deal with you folks. If this is against the rules, please delete.

Here are a couple examples of the photos that you get through the app. These are low-resolution, but the high-res version is available by request through the app, and saved to the SD card. I'm not sure this would work great for a security camera, but maybe. There is usually a 3-5 minute delay from when the photo is taken to when I get the notification on my phone. There are two models available, one for Verizon and one for AT&T, depending on which carrier gets a better signal in your area.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The deer in the daytime photo are probably 20 yards or so from the camera.

Re: Moultrie Cellular Trail Camera $105 [Re: tlguy] #6629210
09/30/19 11:39 AM
09/30/19 11:39 AM
Cass Cnty, MN
J
JeffMcam Offline
trapper
JeffMcam  Offline
trapper
J

Cass Cnty, MN
This is great information- thank you.

Re: Moultrie Cellular Trail Camera $105 [Re: tlguy] #6629277
09/30/19 01:02 PM
09/30/19 01:02 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline OP
trapper
tlguy  Offline OP
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
[Linked Image]

These are the different plans available.

Re: Moultrie Cellular Trail Camera $105 [Re: tlguy] #6629417
09/30/19 04:31 PM
09/30/19 04:31 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Better make sure you got cell service where you plan to use it. Works as good a rock in the pocket were there is not cell signal...... PLUS if it's not the only ones you got and you have to go check others it defeats the purpose.
But there may be some places they work great......
Buddy of mine got one . Bragged on it Thought it was great . Set it up on a corn feeder. LOLO after 500-600 pics a night of coons. (sends a text everytime a pic is taken) He was ready to sell it to me half price.LOL The day a swarm of black birds found his feeder and he was at work he turned off the service ....
IN MY opinion the cuddie back daisy chain cams would be best. They are all linked so if you use 6 cams to cover a farm all pics are sent to one. Just have it sent to the one closest to the road/ barn and you never go into the hunting area.

Last edited by jbyrd63; 09/30/19 04:33 PM.
Re: Moultrie Cellular Trail Camera $105 [Re: tlguy] #6629435
09/30/19 04:45 PM
09/30/19 04:45 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline OP
trapper
tlguy  Offline OP
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
They all have their pros and cons jbyrd63. The Moultrie has an adjustable sensor, and an upload warning limit so it can be set to notify you before uploading a large amount of photos.

Yes, if you're using a cellular camera to transmit images, it's best to know you will have a signal where you're using it. Same with buying a cell phone.

Any camera that doesn't take a bunch of photos when it's pointed at a corn feeder being swarmed by coons is about as good as a rock in the pocket, so to speak.

The cuddeback cameras with CuddeLink have their advantages as well. Closer to $200 each if I remember right, and they also offer a CuddeLink Cell Home that acts as a modem to transmit images from any connected cameras. For someone who wants to purchase a lot of cameras and cover a large area, that would be a good system. The savings from buying a single data plan would have to be weighed against the initial investment of the more expensive cameras.

Checking cameras from the one "home" camera is different technology (non-cellular), and not real useful for someone who's a great distance from the cameras.

Re: Moultrie Cellular Trail Camera $105 [Re: tlguy] #6629458
09/30/19 05:25 PM
09/30/19 05:25 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
True . Person just has to know what is best for them and what kind of budget they have. Just pointing out the cons my buddy ran into with his.
For your set up overlooking a food plot I bet it would be perfect. !!!!

Last edited by jbyrd63; 09/30/19 05:25 PM.
Re: Moultrie Cellular Trail Camera $105 [Re: tlguy] #6629520
09/30/19 06:59 PM
09/30/19 06:59 PM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
Looks like honey mushrooms on that stump.
Was it a oak

Re: Moultrie Cellular Trail Camera $105 [Re: NE Wildlife] #6629601
09/30/19 08:27 PM
09/30/19 08:27 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline OP
trapper
tlguy  Offline OP
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by NE Wildlife
Looks like honey mushrooms on that stump.
Was it a oak

Someone else asked if they were honey mushrooms on another post I made. The mushrooms popped up in a couple days and were all eaten in a night or two. I haven't been up there since the pictures were taken to check em out, but I'm not great with mushroom ID anyway. I'll be up this weekend and take a look and see if there are any left.

I don't think that stump was an oak, only oals on the property are a mile or so away.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread