No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: I want a new recurve/longbow, help me decide [Re: The Possum Man] #6643594
10/19/19 07:11 PM
10/19/19 07:11 PM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
I believe you would be more than happy with a Predator Takedown recurve made by Ron Pitsley (spelling). It's one of the best performing traditional bows on the market, great hand placement, and are very smooth drawing and shooting.

Re: I want a new recurve/longbow, help me decide [Re: The Possum Man] #6643624
10/19/19 07:48 PM
10/19/19 07:48 PM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
I shoot BEAR bows. A 52lb Grizzly that I hunt with and a lighter pull 35lb. Kodiak I get in shape/practice with. I also have my dads old bow, that is around 40lbs., that I love to plink with.

If I was just starting out with "primitive" bows I would most likely get a SAMICK take down. They are a "grow as you go bow" and inexpensive. I have shot a few of them and they exceeded my expectations. Especially for just shooting and learning they are fine.

Re: I want a new recurve/longbow, help me decide [Re: The Possum Man] #6643639
10/19/19 08:18 PM
10/19/19 08:18 PM
carolina, Alabama
The Possum Man Offline OP
trapper
The Possum Man  Offline OP
trapper

carolina, Alabama
I found a bow that seems to have rave reviews everywhere I looked. Black hunter take down recurve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbKa9UIOvDA

I got it for about 100 bucks shipped, should have it monday. I know its a chinese knock off of something but I like the looks of it. At the very least I can pass it off to one of my kids and let them tear it up cause thats what they seem to do with things. I looked at the SAMICK bows and they seem to be about the same thing. I am still in the market for a good bow. Im looking real hard at a couple used bear grizzlys. I will probably end up with one of them before its over. Im gonna play around with this black hunter and see where i want to go from there.

"If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough"
Re: I want a new recurve/longbow, help me decide [Re: The Possum Man] #6643799
10/19/19 11:36 PM
10/19/19 11:36 PM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
A longbow or recurve for hunting is shot like a shotgun- you point more than aim, as there are no sights. And like a shotgun, one that feels "right" when u shoot it, it the one u want. For example, I've shot dozens of different bighorn recurves, and all were fine. But there was one I never should have let leave my hands. Felt just like an extension of myself. But, I know who has it, so I'm watching the obits daily. He can't live forever...

Re: I want a new recurve/longbow, help me decide [Re: The Possum Man] #6643945
10/20/19 08:47 AM
10/20/19 08:47 AM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA
Originally Posted by The Possum Man
I found a bow that seems to have rave reviews everywhere I looked. Black hunter take down recurve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbKa9UIOvDA

I got it for about 100 bucks shipped, should have it monday. I know its a chinese knock off of something but I like the looks of it. At the very least I can pass it off to one of my kids and let them tear it up cause thats what they seem to do with things. I looked at the SAMICK bows and they seem to be about the same thing. I am still in the market for a good bow. Im looking real hard at a couple used bear grizzlys. I will probably end up with one of them before its over. Im gonna play around with this black hunter and see where i want to go from there.

Please let us know what you think of it after you use the Black Hunter for a while. I liked what I saw in the video clip.

Re: I want a new recurve/longbow, help me decide [Re: The Possum Man] #6644039
10/20/19 10:57 AM
10/20/19 10:57 AM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Looks good !

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: I want a new recurve/longbow, help me decide [Re: The Possum Man] #6644066
10/20/19 11:25 AM
10/20/19 11:25 AM
carolina, Alabama
trapper
trapper

carolina, Alabama
Sure thing I will keep yall informed. I will be shooting it the day it comes in and i figure after about an hour I will have a few thoughts. I have spent the last couple days digging out all my old archery equipment and i have found about everything i think. Had to reorder some fletching glue and got a set of string leeches for the new bow. Im excited to have a bow with a shelf designed to be shot off of. I think that was the biggest thing with the bow that i have on top of it just being very heavy.

Re: I want a new recurve/longbow, help me decide [Re: The Possum Man] #6644086
10/20/19 11:52 AM
10/20/19 11:52 AM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Shooting cedar arrows or Sitka spruce ?

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: I want a new recurve/longbow, help me decide [Re: Nessmuck] #6644088
10/20/19 12:01 PM
10/20/19 12:01 PM
carolina, Alabama
trapper
trapper

carolina, Alabama
Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Shooting cedar arrows or Sitka spruce ?

Neither. I may buy some one day but right now I have a bunch of gold tip traditional 3555 cut to 28" with 125gr field points. I have them fletched with 4 or 5" feathers. I doubled checked the chart and i think these arrows should be spined and set up right for the 45lb bow. I can adjust the field point to get them tuned if I need to. Ive had these for years so Im gonna keep using them till their gone. Im sure the next time i need arrows and such im gonna go more and more primitive with them. I have a few jigs and a stash of feathers in my archery box and I enjoy working on arrows. If i can get good enough to warrant all the extra work I would eventually LOVE to make my own self bow, my own arrows, fletchings, and knap my own flint heads. First step is a whole bunch of practice.

Last edited by The Possum Man; 10/20/19 12:02 PM.

Re: I want a new recurve/longbow, help me decide [Re: The Possum Man] #6644099
10/20/19 12:14 PM
10/20/19 12:14 PM
ohio
J
jctunnelrat Offline
trapper
jctunnelrat  Offline
trapper
J

ohio
Give it heck Possum Man. Been doing it since 15 years old (and I don't want to tell my age). You're on the right path. Best wishes.

jim
Re: I want a new recurve/longbow, help me decide [Re: The Possum Man] #6644102
10/20/19 12:16 PM
10/20/19 12:16 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Don't be afraid to try various point weights up to 200 grs or so.I'm guessing that at 28",it may need a little more than 125 grs..Nothing wrong with carbons on that bow.

Re: I want a new recurve/longbow, help me decide [Re: The Possum Man] #6644123
10/20/19 12:42 PM
10/20/19 12:42 PM
PA
G
gryhkl Offline
trapper
gryhkl  Offline
trapper
G

PA

Neither. I may buy some one day but right now I have a bunch of gold tip traditional 3555 cut to 28" with 125gr field points. I have them fletched with 4 or 5" feathers. I doubled checked the chart and i think these arrows should be spined and set up right for the 45lb bow. I can adjust the field point to get them tuned if I need to. Ive had these for years so Im gonna keep using them till their gone. Im sure the next time i need arrows and such im gonna go more and more primitive with them. I have a few jigs and a stash of feathers in my archery box and I enjoy working on arrows. If i can get good enough to warrant all the extra work I would eventually LOVE to make my own self bow, my own arrows, fletchings, and knap my own flint heads. First step is a whole bunch of practice. [/quote]

Do it.
I have wanted to do it since before I was a little kid. Now ,as an old man, I have gotten no further than splitting out some hickory a few times. My middle son split a couple more piece from our woods when he was 14 and they have been drying in our attic since. He is now in his third year of college.
I have a shaving horse, spoke shaves, draw knives and about every other old wood working toll there is. What's lacking now is the motivation and the time.... Put stuff off and they have a way of never getting done.

Re: I want a new recurve/longbow, help me decide [Re: The Possum Man] #6644130
10/20/19 12:56 PM
10/20/19 12:56 PM
carolina, Alabama
trapper
trapper

carolina, Alabama
When i was deployed I used to read traditional bowhunter magazine. Our Lt used to get them mailed to him and i would read them when he was done. Its been a long time dream of mine to do all this. I even cut some osage trees and hauled them all the way back to alabama to let my grandad cut some staves out on his sawmill. No idea what happened to those, he passed before I got home from the army and I havent been able to find them. When i was in kansas I stuck with my compound for deer hunting as i didnt want to miss if a big buck finally did get close enough. I know modern archery pretty well and have always done all my own work short of things i need a bow press for. That is about the time period I got this pos i mean PSE bow I have now. I didnt fully understand that bow was built for bowfishing and thats about it. Its meant to shoot off a rest and doesnt have anything close to a proper shelf. Pretty sure that was holding me back when i was shooting it. Maybe this attempt at traditional archery will be more successful than last time. I know fiberglass limbs and carbon arrows are a far cry from traditional but its a start.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread