No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: Actor] #6643825
10/20/19 01:15 AM
10/20/19 01:15 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
If the buyers still have the same need for our furs, this might not be as bad as it first seems. Those using NAFA will just have to use another outlet to get their furs to the buyers.

I don't think any trapper, who knows of this mess, will ship to NAFA this year.

I sadly suspect that the trappers who NAFA owes, will at best likely get a tiny fraction of what they are owed, after a long wait, as NAFA comes out of bankruptcy.

Keith

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: Actor] #6643826
10/20/19 01:22 AM
10/20/19 01:22 AM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Online happy
trapper
wissmiss  Online Happy
trapper
W

north Idaho
I have not heard that NAFA is actually in bankruptcy. They are still trying to work this out.

To say that NAFA is done. That NAFA is bankrupt. Is only adding fuel to the fire.

I for one am willing to give them more time to work this out. And yes, i do “have skin in the game.”.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: wissmiss] #6643830
10/20/19 01:41 AM
10/20/19 01:41 AM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY
Originally Posted by wissmiss
Originally Posted by mink99
I am sounding the alarm. Nafa's done. Heard the electricity was shut off. There broke. Can't squeeze blood from a turnip. No money to pay back bad checks either.

Where did you hear that?? I don’t think that is 100% true.

NAFA is a tough spot now but I honestly believe they are trying their darnedst toget this resolved.

As to where the money is and why banks are involved, see my post on another thread about prompt date and buyers accounts not paid in full, etc.

If you know all of the facts and understand how the fur auctions operate, you would understand what caused the current situation.

[/quote]Here is one of the things that got NAFA in trouble. At every sale there is a prompt date. This is the date that all accounts SHOULD be settled by.

On prompt date (or just before), NAFA pays every shipper that had fur sell at that sale. Shippers are PAID IN FULL.

According to Conditions of Sale for all buyers, if they are unable to pay their account in full by prompt date, they must make a 35% deposit to hold their purchases. Then they have a certain amount of time to make the rest of the payment. They pay interest on the balance they owe.

Many buyers do not pay for their purchases in full be prompt date. They basically finance their purchases through NAFA. This is standard procedure at all fur auction companies.

So let’s look at some numbers - hypothetical numbers for simplicity sake. Keep in mind these are SAMPLE numbers.

NAFA sells 30 million dollars worth of fur at a sale. Assuming there is a 10% sellers commission and no other fees. That means that NAFA owes the shippers 27 million dollars.

Some of the buyers pay their bill in full - say they pay 10 million in full. The other 20 million of sales is financed with a 35% deposit. That works out to 13 million dollars worth of goods that were bought but not fully paid for by the buyers.

But NAFA still has to pay out that 13 million on prompt date. Despite what manymof you think, NAFA doesn’t have that kind of cash sitting around.

This is where the banks come in. NAFA had a long standing agreement with a major bank to cover this extra 13 million that NAFA has to pay out. This arrangement has/had been in place for a number of years. For what ever reason and without notice, after the bank had paid out whatever money NAFA had in their account, the bank said “ Thats It” and they stopped covering/honoring NAFA checks and thatnis why shippers checks bounced.

NAFA is working tirelessly with other banks to come up with a new arrangement. They are not taking this situation lightly.

No one at NAFA stole your money. They didn’t spend it on fancy cars or luxury vacations. They had the rug pulled out from under them by their bank.

A lot of you still won’t understand the entire situation but it is as I’ve explained above.

NOTE - I am not a NAFA employee. I am a long time customer that is as concerned about this as all of you.
[quote]

Wissmiss:

You gave a good explanation of how things work with NAFA. But, having been to many auctions through the years, whether it be Real Estate, Estate auctions, or Fur Auctions; there are a few important things I have learned.

1. Nothing sold at an auction is to leave the auction site , until paid for in full. When NAFA sold the furs to the winning bidders, did those bidders take possession of those furs prior to paying for them in full ?

2. Since NAFA buyers finance their fur purchases through NAFA, and the bank that worked with NAFA pulled the plug with the financing; how is NAFA going to get those furs back from the buyers, assuming the buyers already have the furs in their possession ?

3. The financing part: Those buyers should have come to the NAFA auction with their own financing already in place. Not expect NAFA to do it.

4, If NAFA still has furs left unsold in their auction house, is there any recourse for the Trappers and Fur buyers that shipped furs to NAFA , to get them returned if worst case happens that NAFA is unable to secure financing ?

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: wissmiss] #6643831
10/20/19 01:44 AM
10/20/19 01:44 AM
Iowa
M
mink99 Offline
trapper
mink99  Offline
trapper
M

Iowa
Originally Posted by wissmiss
I have not heard that NAFA is actually in bankruptcy. They are still trying to work this out.

To say that NAFA is done. That NAFA is bankrupt. Is only adding fuel to the fire.

I for one am willing to give them more time to work this out. And yes, i do “have skin in the game.”.

I will gladly eat crow if what I am saying is wrong. But to answer where I heard this from, well, I basically heard this from nafa.

ITA, NTA, FTA
Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: Actor] #6643836
10/20/19 02:19 AM
10/20/19 02:19 AM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Online happy
trapper
wissmiss  Online Happy
trapper
W

north Idaho
1. Goods do not leave the NAFA warehouse until they are paid for in full. That is in the conditions of sale. I have no idea if they make exceptions to that or not. I know of in most cases, the goods sit there until they are paid for. And the buyers are charged interest and some times storage.

2. The unpaid for pelts are still at a NAFA facility. At some point they can be reoffered for sale but since this has all happened fairly recently and if the buyer has paid a deposit, NAFA is obligated to hold those unpaid for goods as per the condition of sale. They can’t just decide on the spur of the moment to resell them.

3. As far as financing goes, remember that many of these buyers are from countries other than the US or Canada. Countries such as Russia, China, Korea, Greece. Maybe it is easier for them to finance through NAFA than it is through an instruction in their country.

4. I don’t know the answer to that question. In the case of dealer goods that aren’t intersorted,it should be fairly easy to return them. In the case of intetsorted goods, since everything is bar coded, it would be possible to figure out which pelts belong to which shipper. Figuring that out would be tedious and time consuming but it could be done.

IF in fact NAFA is done, then the courts will step in and they most likely will have the final say as to what happens to the unsold inventory. In theory, those pelts belong to the shipper. Who knows how the courts will see it.

Mink99 - guess I must have talked to a different person at NAFA. What I heard is that they are still trying to work things out with a different bank.

I like what I heard better than what you heard. smile

www.usedtraps.com

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: Actor] #6643850
10/20/19 04:29 AM
10/20/19 04:29 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I wonder if the details of how NAFA operates is similar to FHA's rules and procedures

Last edited by AJE; 10/20/19 04:29 AM.
Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: AJE] #6643852
10/20/19 04:33 AM
10/20/19 04:33 AM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Online happy
trapper
wissmiss  Online Happy
trapper
W

north Idaho
Originally Posted by AJE
I wonder if the details of how NAFA operates is similar to FHA's rules and procedures

Probably. Which of FHA’s rules / procedures are you referring to?

www.usedtraps.com

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: Actor] #6643865
10/20/19 06:11 AM
10/20/19 06:11 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
And even now some will defend their actions as though they did nothing wrong. Anyone who sends fur to them now will be shown to be a fool. Those defending them almost certainly did not get a bad check..LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: Actor] #6643872
10/20/19 06:48 AM
10/20/19 06:48 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
If they cant get a line of credit its because banks don't like the way they are doing business. Banks are in business to loan money. Usury is their business plan. If they don't make loans they don't profit. Like every other business they exist only to profit. Banks WANT to loan money. I don't understand why an auction company would be in the loan business. If that isn't a risky endeavor what is? Loan money that was borrowed from another business?

It is pretty simple to me. We are all human and make mistakes. I hope NAFA gets lined back out. I hope they have some better ideas now.
I am losing optimism though. What happened to "you will get your money in OCT".?

How do you charge buyer commissions, seller commissions, drumming fees, magazine fees, and c.i.t.e.s. fees but still can't pay your bills. All this talk about its other peoples fault is nonsense. NAFA is responsible for poor business decisions. Not a bank, not a mink farm or anyone else.

It is entirely possible that the bank pulled the rug because NAFA is in the fur business. Something many folks consider immoral and there is a combined effort among many banks to quit doing business with firearm and or fur related business. Plenty will though. If the rug were pulled because of moral belief there would still be banks more than happy to extend a line of credit so long as they thought profit would be the result.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: Actor] #6643874
10/20/19 06:53 AM
10/20/19 06:53 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
worst thing you can do is lie to me,even if you consider it just bending the truth,i don't.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: Actor] #6643879
10/20/19 06:55 AM
10/20/19 06:55 AM
sw minn.
Flipper Offline
trapper
Flipper  Offline
trapper

sw minn.
Fact is if NAFA goes under the value of this years catch will go down. All fur buyers will be lowering there offers because of uncertainty in the market. It is in everybody’s best interest for nafa To survive this same problem can happen to every major fur buyer as they all operate on credit

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: Actor] #6643980
10/20/19 09:39 AM
10/20/19 09:39 AM
Maine
M
mainer Offline
trapper
mainer  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Like danny said, there are troubling reasons why the banks are avoiding or have bailed on NAFA. Those reasons are likely unique to NAFA's financial situation and not the fur industry as a whole. So far, we have no indication that NAFA's problems are anything more than NAFA's problems. In other words, it's not good news for the industry because it may lose a major player, but that does not -- by itself -- signify the fur industry is following the same path.

By the way, the bankruptcy rumors over the summer might have had more legs to them than we thought.

Last edited by mainer; 10/20/19 09:42 AM.

"...in a very few days we succeeded in taking over one hundred beaver, the skins of which were worth ten dollars per pound."
Jim Beckwourth (1856)
Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: Actor] #6643998
10/20/19 10:00 AM
10/20/19 10:00 AM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
It has been said that furs do not leave the NAFA warehouse until they are paid for.So they either were paid for YOUR furs and something happened to the money or they have YOUR furs and under the state of affairs should send them back.Years ago I worked in the auction trade and nobody left with the merchandise until it was paid for.

Last edited by rex123; 10/20/19 10:01 AM.
Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: Dean Chapel] #6644144
10/20/19 01:11 PM
10/20/19 01:11 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
bad karma Offline
trapper
bad karma  Offline
trapper

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by Dean Chapel
Have you ever read a NAFA report that wasn't total BS? It's not called NAFAese for nothing. "Increased clearance at new levels"= we dumped your fur for nothing, but we still get the drumming fee. And we'll make you an offer you can't refuse- the NAFA magazine.

Never and I have been at this for a long time. NAFA could make $ teaching politicians how to lie out both sides of their mouth at the same time.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: Actor] #6644150
10/20/19 01:21 PM
10/20/19 01:21 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
So I keep seeing that buyers can put down 35% and finance the rest and if they don't pay in full, NAFA keeps the fur. They've already paid (or at least written a check, good or bad) the trapper on the prompt date, but what about when the buyer doesn't pay the remaining 65% and NAFA keeps the fur? I imagine they offer it for sale again to try and recoup their loss. Now NAFA has paid trappers with money they dont have. That doesn't work for long. I don't know how often it happens that buyers don't pay up, but if it happens even a few times, that puts them in a tight spot.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: Actor] #6644152
10/20/19 01:26 PM
10/20/19 01:26 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
NAFA does not lose in your above deal They win. They get to keep the 35% and sell the fur again for 100% of it's value.

Who is John Galt?
Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: Actor] #6644153
10/20/19 01:29 PM
10/20/19 01:29 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I get that, but they've already paid out the missing 65%, and have to hold that fur until the next auction of hope it sells PT. In the meantime, they must have financed that money they paid out to trappers that wasn't paid by the buyer. Right? Their inventory is flush, but they're cash poor.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: Actor] #6644186
10/20/19 02:27 PM
10/20/19 02:27 PM
SW Pa
W
wr otis Offline
trapper
wr otis  Offline
trapper
W

SW Pa
Wonder how many dealers are going to be in a bind over this.

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: Prn] #6644195
10/20/19 02:48 PM
10/20/19 02:48 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
Originally Posted by Prn
Interesting how it went from a simple misunderstanding during a bank switch, to now they are looking for financing. This doesn't look promising.

PANTS ON FIRE !!!! NAFA!!!! frown

w

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: NEW ... NAFA Letter ... Just received. [Re: wr otis] #6644196
10/20/19 02:49 PM
10/20/19 02:49 PM
ohio morrow co
R
Rifle 1 Offline
trapper
Rifle 1  Offline
trapper
R

ohio morrow co
Originally Posted by wr otis
Wonder how many dealers are going to be in a bind over this.

Read Terry Manleys post on facebook this morning. Sad

getting ready for 53th season
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread