No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mountain Lion trapping #6658890
11/06/19 04:27 PM
11/06/19 04:27 PM
New Mexico
S
Sicilian Hunter Offline OP
trapper
Sicilian Hunter  Offline OP
trapper
S

New Mexico
Hello!!
New to the forum and new to trapping.
I have chance to trap mountain lion and wanted to give it a try.
I am looking for info on sets, baits, lures and techniques.
So far, I haven’t found any books or videos that were very helpful.
I am also looking to use long spring #5s.
Lastly, since this wouldn’t be on a ranch, setting up on a lion kill is probably not the way I will be able to go.
I appreciate any advice you might have!

The Sicilian

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6658902
11/06/19 04:43 PM
11/06/19 04:43 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
trap has to have 7 inches or less of a jaw spread in n.m. you can only trap them on private property or state property also

Last edited by danny clifton; 11/06/19 04:44 PM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6658911
11/06/19 05:01 PM
11/06/19 05:01 PM
NM
W
Wronganswer Offline
trapper
Wronganswer  Offline
trapper
W

NM
You need to do some research on the laws in NM before you go out and start setting. Based on what you are planning to do/use you are headed for arrest not success.

Longspring #5's are not legal. 6.5" maximum outside jaw spread (7" if outside laminated). Basically a Bridger #3 coilspring, Bridger #4 longspring or similar is as big as you can use. They also need to be offset. It's illegal to trap a lion on BLM or USFS property. It is legal on private property (with permission of course) and on state lease land (owned by the state land office not NMGF or any other state agency), however, since you state it wouldn't be on a ranch it sounds like you will be trapping on public land. That will likely be illegal. ALL FURBEARER TRAPPING LAWS APPLY.

You also need BOTH a trapping license and a cougar license (which has to be purchased at least 2 days prior to hunting/trapping for lions). You also must follow the season dates for normal furbearer trapping. You cannot use visible bait. ALL FURBEARER TRAPPING LAWS APPLY.

I would strongly encourage you to read the rule book and/or call a game warden before you commit a crime or possibly many crimes and in the process give NM trappers another black eye. We don't need any more illegal activity by folks who should know better. Please do everyone a favor and educate yourself before trying this.

As far as how to trap for lions:

Lions trapping techniques are very similar to bobcat trapping techniques but they are obviously much larger and your anchoring system needs to take that into account. Welded J hooks are strongly recommended. Set further back from your attractor/scent and make your stepping guides reflect a larger stride from a much larger animal.

If you are new to trapping or are just getting back into it there are a lot of laws that you can violate without knowing it so I'd also recommend you join the NM Trapper's Association as well as the National Trappers Association and Fur Takers of America. They can be a great source of information and can give you access to people who know what is legal and what isn't. I don't mean to jump all over someone who is excited to try a new sport, but trapping, especially in NM, is under constant attack and we don't want you to violate the law OR cause us to lose trapping because of illegal activity.

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6658918
11/06/19 05:08 PM
11/06/19 05:08 PM
Saltlake city utah
S
Steelflight Offline
trapper
Steelflight  Offline
trapper
S

Saltlake city utah
Welcome to trapperman bud. I got nothing too add but echo the statement of memorize your state regs. Otherwise i hope you keep it up in learning to trap.

You may think before you act. The question is did you listen to your own council?
Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6658930
11/06/19 05:29 PM
11/06/19 05:29 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Welcome pull up a chair and your favorite drink.

X2 danny and wronganswer.
+ you will need to follow both sets of rules for trapping lion (trapping regs and lion regs) such as quota check, exposed bait etc.... Also make sure you have passed the required cougar identification course online before you buy your lion tag and be absolutely 1000% certain you are trapping on state land. The state land can be patchy and surrounded by other lands.
Always have fun be careful and good luck.

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6658935
11/06/19 05:38 PM
11/06/19 05:38 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Online content
trapper
KeithC  Online Content
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Welcome from another person of Sicillian descent. My paternal great grandfather came over from Sant'Angelo di Brolo and my paternal great grandmother came over from Palermo.

Keith

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6658936
11/06/19 05:47 PM
11/06/19 05:47 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Welcome to trapper man, Sicilian.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: ] #6658958
11/06/19 06:17 PM
11/06/19 06:17 PM
New Mexico
S
trapper
trapper
S

New Mexico
Originally Posted by dirtydogtrapping
You don't need that big of a trap to hold a lion you want a good pad catch #3 offset coils with laminated jaws will work good.

You don't need that big of a trap to hold a lion you want a good pad catch #3 offset coils with laminated jaws will work good.

Thanks!!
I am trying to stick with long springs, any suggestions for those?

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: danny clifton] #6658959
11/06/19 06:19 PM
11/06/19 06:19 PM
New Mexico
S
trapper
trapper
S

New Mexico
Originally Posted by danny clifton
trap has to have 7 inches or less of a jaw spread in n.m. you can only trap them on private property or state property also

Thanks!!

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: run] #6658961
11/06/19 06:20 PM
New Mexico
S
trapper
trapper
S

New Mexico
Originally Posted by run

Thanks!!
Just trying to learn what it takes!!

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6658962
el vado, nm
T
Tom Fisher Offline
trapper
Tom Fisher  Offline
trapper
T

el vado, nm
Don't get discouraged, but set every trap as if it was on the front page of The Ajbq. Journal cause if you screw up it will be! I have had some success with Lions, biggest thing I've found is time is on their side and when the snow comes the houndsmen start catching them and the quota is filled---it's over for me ! A sign they are around is they leave me the front leg of the coyote in my trap. A good tip a guy gave me is a cat won't turn its foot in the trap it will likely pull out if the trap closes on the side of the foot-----step over the jaw not in between. If or when you catch one it wasn't enough for me I have to keep at 'em! Its a good time to be a trapper!

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Steelflight] #6658964
11/06/19 06:21 PM
11/06/19 06:21 PM
New Mexico
S
trapper
trapper
S

New Mexico
Originally Posted by Steelflight
Welcome to trapperman bud. I got nothing too add but echo the statement of memorize your state regs. Otherwise i hope you keep it up in learning to trap.

Thanks!! I’ll do my best !!

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Wronganswer] #6658965
11/06/19 06:24 PM
11/06/19 06:24 PM
New Mexico
S
trapper
trapper
S

New Mexico
[quote=Wronganswer]You need to do some research on the laws in NM before you go out and start setting. Based on what you are planning to do/use you are headed for arrest not success.

Longspring #5's are not legal. 6.5" maximum outside jaw spread (7" if outside laminated). Basically a Bridger #3 coilspring, Bridger #4 longspring or similar is as big as you can use. They also need to be offset. It's illegal to trap a lion on BLM or USFS property. It is legal on private property (with permission of course) and on state lease land (owned by the state land office not NMGF or any other state agency), however, since you state it wouldn't be on a ranch it sounds like you will be trapping on public land. That will likely be illegal. ALL FURBEARER TRAPPING LAWS APPLY.

You also need BOTH a trapping license and a cougar license (which has to be purchased at least 2 days prior to hunting/trapping for lions). You also must follow the season dates for normal furbearer trapping. You cannot use visible bait. ALL FURBEARER TRAPPING LAWS APPLY.

I would strongly encourage you to read the rule book and/or call a game warden before you commit a crime or possibly many crimes and in the process give NM trappers another black eye. We don't need any more illegal activity by folks who should know better. Please do everyone a favor and educate yourself before trying this.

As far as how to trap for lions:

Lions trapping techniques are very similar to bobcat trapping techniques but they are obviously much larger and your anchoring system needs to take that into account. Welded J hooks are strongly recommended. Set further back from your attractor/scent and make your stepping guides reflect a larger stride from a much larger animal.

If you are new to trapping or are just getting back into it there are a lot of laws that you can violate without knowing it so I'd also recommend you join the NM Trapper's Association as well as the National Trappers Association and Fur Takers of America. They can be a great source of information and can give you access to people who know what is legal and what isn't. I don't mean to jump all over someone who is excited to try a new sport, but trapping, especially in NM, is under constant attack and we don't want you to violate the law OR cause us to lose trapping

Wrong,
WOW!!!
You don’t know what you don’t know until the info hits you like a freight train!!
I appreciate your passion and your knowledge and as I stated, I am new to trapping and I joined the forum to learn more.
I can promise you that I intend NOT to break any laws or besmirch trapping in NM and maybe I should have looked into it more before I posted anything...live and learn.
I actually just joined the NMTA but with all the trouble I had just joining their organization I was not filled with confidence in finding a mentor.
Maybe you can spare some time if you happen to live close by?

Thanks

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: adam m] #6658968
11/06/19 06:29 PM
11/06/19 06:29 PM
New Mexico
S
trapper
trapper
S

New Mexico
Originally Posted by adam m

+ you will need to follow both sets of rules for trapping lion (trapping regs and lion regs) such as quota check, exposed bait etc.... Also make sure you have passed the required cougar identification course online before you buy your lion tag and be absolutely 1000% certain you are trapping on state land. The state land can be patchy and surrounded by other lands.

I actually did know about the test, the time frame for tags purchased, cougar license and trapping license.as well as quota check but that was as far as I got so far.
I will be digging deeper!!
Thanks!!

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: KeithC] #6658972
11/06/19 06:32 PM
11/06/19 06:32 PM
New Mexico
S
trapper
trapper
S

New Mexico
Originally Posted by KeithC
Welcome from another person of Sicillian descent. My paternal great grandfather came over from Sant'Angelo di Brolo and my paternal great grandmother came over from Palermo.

Keith

Hey!!!
Pleased to meet you!!
My grandparents are from a town called Cannacatti in the province of Agrigento.
Southwest Sicily

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: run] #6658974
11/06/19 06:35 PM
11/06/19 06:35 PM
New Mexico
S
trapper
trapper
S

New Mexico
Originally Posted by run

THANKS!

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6658986
11/06/19 06:45 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Online content
trapper
KeithC  Online Content
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I went to the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento back in 1998. It's an awesome place.

Keith

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Tom Fisher] #6658987
New Mexico
S
trapper
trapper
S

New Mexico

Originally Posted by Tom Fisher
Don't get discouraged, but set every trap as if it was on the front page of The Ajbq. Journal cause if you screw up it will be! I have had some success with Lions, biggest thing I've found is time is on their side and when the snow comes the houndsmen start catching them and the quota is filled---it's over for me ! A sign they are around is they leave me the front leg of the coyote in my trap. A good tip a guy gave me is a cat won't turn its foot in the trap it will likely pull out if the trap closes on the side of the foot-----step over the jaw not in between. If or when you catch one it wasn't enough for me I have to keep at 'em! Its a good time to be a trapper!

Thanks for the info!
If you don’t mind I hope to pick your brain a little further! LOL

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6658994
11/06/19 06:54 PM
11/06/19 06:54 PM
Washington
C
cat daddy Offline
trapper
cat daddy  Offline
trapper
C

Washington
It’s agin the law where I live.

Re: Mountain Lion trapping [Re: Sicilian Hunter] #6659008
11/06/19 07:10 PM
11/06/19 07:10 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Originally Posted by Sicilian Hunter
Originally Posted by adam m

I actually did know about the test, the time frame for tags purchased, cougar license and trapping license.as well as quota check but that was as far as I got so far.
I will be digging deeper!!
Thanks!!

You're welcome. Good luck

I tried digging up past threads and below is what I found that might help you the best. I thought there was a couple in the archives (have treasure chests of info) but no dice.
https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/6479484/Searchpage/1/Main/484776/Words/%2Blion/Search/true/lion-traps#Post6479484

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread