ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: Muddawg] #6789356
03/02/20 02:41 AM
03/02/20 02:41 AM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
Question, do you have the word “service” in your name? I think that sometimes gives people the misimpression of a government service. I’m not speaking from experience, just a theory. Then again some people are entitled and want the most they can get for the least no matter what.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: badger] #6801526
03/14/20 05:26 AM
03/14/20 05:26 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted by badger
people would ask is there anybody that does it for free? I used to say sarcasticly "you mean like a charity?"

Now I just keep repeating my price if they don't understand and say : "do you need us to come out?"

When it comes to nuisance furbearers, I hate it when a customer seems to think fur is a highly profitable commodity & that we can make our $ by selling the pelt.

Last edited by AJE; 03/14/20 05:27 AM.
Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: Muddawg] #6801810
03/14/20 11:28 AM
03/14/20 11:28 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
We don't have service, but we do have control in the name. I figure it gets confused with animal control.

And some think we are a state agency or something. Really, once we got rid of a paid lead service our calls for free services went down to almost none.

Re: Am I Supposed to be a Free Service? [Re: Muddawg] #6802522
03/14/20 11:35 PM
03/14/20 11:35 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
A guy contacted me w/ a beaver problem today. I know the spot he's talking about, & he has a serious problem. It's backing up h20 & starting to affect 3 homeowners along the creek, him being 1 of 'em. He starts by asking how much I'd charge to remove the dam. I explained that removing the dam probably wouldn't solve the problem. Before I could even work up a quote he proceeded to say he couldn't even afford $15 per beaver. After hearing that I chose not to quote removing the dam. He was friendly, but acted bewildered I wouldn't do it free. I gave him the link to our state trappers association list of nuisance trappers. He said he'd call them. Wait til he finds out they charge $50-100+, & he tells them he can't afford to pay anything. Part of me felt bad for the guy. He has a serious problem with these beavers, & is an older gentleman that said he doesn't have the health to remove the dam himself. But I don't have time to be a free service in this situation. I kind of wonder how many landowners though claim they are poor to try to get a better deal. If he was smart he'd probably talk to the neighbors & try to pool their $. The stream is a trout stream with Public Access. He complained WDNR wouldn't help him so he's going to call USDA's APHIS. I think a lot of landowners don't realize that fur is near worthless & that the govt won't come take care of beaver problems for them. He said he'll try to lay out with a gun @ dusk & solve the problem that way if need be. With the dwindling fur market & likely decrease of trappers, more & more property owners'll be in for a rude awakening.

Last edited by AJE; 03/14/20 11:41 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread