No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: James] #6666138
11/14/19 11:41 PM
11/14/19 11:41 PM
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline
trapper
T

Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
There are a lot of combat veterans that aren’t infantry I know I served alongside them in actual combat ie getting shot at shooting back ied’s rpg’s you get the idea. They came from all branches Marines of course, Navy, Air Force we had them as dog handlers inbedded with us. On the Army side we had MP’s even guys from supply and the motor pool. We had doctors and nurses that never left the wire but worked on the wounded and kept the rest of us in the fight. These are combat vets. I do however believe that if anyone contributed to the fight wether it be intel or cooking for the troops or issuing supplies they would be considered combat veterans. I know there were many times I sure appreciated hearing the voice of the person in the TOC when I keyed up that radio

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: James] #6666142
11/14/19 11:44 PM
11/14/19 11:44 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
I am a vet, I served from 1960-63 active and another 3 years. I put in most of my time in Germany. I have a friend that was in the Navy and served on a ship some place, but never seen the shore in Viet Nam. But was allow to going the VFW. I have always considered myself just a vet that did his time and got out. In my book, if you did not come in contact with the enemy or work in a combat zone and while working in that zone were not in any danger of life you are not a combat vet. I just did my job and don't make a fuss over it. JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: James] #6666164
11/15/19 12:34 AM
11/15/19 12:34 AM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
There have been a lot of military that have been causalities In a secured area or even in the country. Vietnam was a good example a lot of military personal were killed in area far from what was considered a hostile area, you don't have to be on front line and taking fire.

Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: James] #6666192
11/15/19 01:50 AM
11/15/19 01:50 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
The term "combat veteran" is misleading the way it is used now.

I have a great deal of respect for all veterans, who served honorably. Many people only respect, or respect veterans more, who saw real, close combat with the enemy.

In today's military the most critical people in the military may never enter a combat zone.

Most of my good friends have been in the military, or are civilian employees of the Airforce. Most had or have high clearances. I get interviewed by the FBI for re-upping security clearances a lot, some years an annoyingly large numbers of times. Here's some examples of the importance of different jobs some of my friends had or have.

Two friends of mine, Bobbies and Dominique, who are brothers, were grunts in the Marines for 1 extended term. They saw real combat in the Middle East, but probably never accomplished anything significant.

Another friend of mine, Jim, who grew up with a backyard adjoining ours, spent most of his career in the Navy on a nuclear sub and was used as a deterrent to nuclear attacks. His job was undoutedbly more important to the safety of our country.

My friend Marvin was in the Army Pigeon Corp until they disbanded it in 1967. Before radio was reliable and the development of new technology, his job was critical for communications.

My friend Stan was in Special Operations in the Airforce for 20 years. I get the feeling he was in lots of places we won't know about for a while yet or maybe ever. I have no doubt he was very important to our country

My friend James, who helped me get my farm, trained pilots to fly bombers, mostly B52s during and after Vietnam. He only did one bombing mission on enemy territory, in 20 years in the Airforce. His job was likely even more important.

My friend Mike, who we are eating steak dinner with tomorrow, is contracted to protect the Airforce computers from being hacked by other nations. If our military computers are successfully hacked many of our weapons could be worthless and our enemies could get our latest, superior technology.

My friend Justin, who is a civilian, engineer employee of the Airforce is in a "think tank". I have little clue what he does, but know it's very important.

My friend Jeremy, who I was best man for, is a civilian, engineer employee of the Airforce. He spent the first 5 months or so of his employment, sitting at a desk, waiting for his clearance. He then, for several years, analyzed how enemy nations could detect our equipment that had stealth capacities. He now does something I can't know about that is critical to homeland security.

My friend Gus, who is also a civilian, engineer employee of the Airforce, tweaks the tolerances on our jet fighters to make them the best in the World. When Gus travels overseas to see his daughter in laws family, in India, 2 handlers are sent with him to keep him from being stolen by a foreign power. Gus is also considered critical to homeland security.

There is something that inspires great respect in most of us for those that go toe to toe with the enemy and deservedly so, but many of the most important people for keeping the US safe will never hopefully be near combat and the enemy.

Keith

Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: James] #6666207
11/15/19 04:01 AM
11/15/19 04:01 AM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
If you are there your a combat vet

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: bblwi] #6666208
11/15/19 04:09 AM
11/15/19 04:09 AM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
Originally Posted by bblwi
The link below will help explain the general definition

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=E211US739G0&p=combat+veteran+definition

I am a combat veteran as I served in country during a war and in a forward area.

This should not be confused with the term "combat infantry badge" I am not a recipient of this badge as I was not in the infantry and directly in a forward area attack, battle or skirmish. We had raids, mortar attacks etc. but we were not infantry going out to engage.
Many that receive their combat infantry badge regard that higher then many other medals.

Bryce

X2

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: James] #6666210
11/15/19 04:23 AM
11/15/19 04:23 AM
Tanana, Alaska
S
Stan Z Offline
trapper
Stan Z  Offline
trapper
S

Tanana, Alaska
No greater respect do I have for any individual than someone who would put themselves in such danger, physically and mentally, so that others might sleep safely at night. I did not serve.

Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: James] #6666254
11/15/19 07:32 AM
11/15/19 07:32 AM
west virginia
H
hillbillyjake Offline
trapper
hillbillyjake  Offline
trapper
H

west virginia
Neither did I, Stan. Its something I've thought about often. I will say this, anyone who would go to keep me and my family safe and defend my freedom has my up most respect. I don't care if it was front line combat or a desk at the front of a building, everyone of you who served in the military had a job to do and that job is done better than any one else on the face of this planet. I'm indebted to each one of you.

Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: patfundine] #6666295
11/15/19 08:19 AM
11/15/19 08:19 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by patfundine
I put vets into 2 categories........

Those who talk and brag about what they did. Usually the real story is nothing.

Those who don't want to, or never talk because of what they did..

It's changing Pat. I invite vets to hunt here every year at my place and in the quiet setting with other vets they often open their thoughts. For the Nam era guys it's especially tough. Around others who were also serving over there they are very straight at least as much as their minds can be clear. Back then a teen to be pulled off the farm for 8 weeks or so of basic then tossed into that ridiculous mud hole of a country to get shot at?
It's a wonder any of them came back remembering what a fork and spoon were for.
Great guys who've earned more than respect.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: James] #6666306
11/15/19 08:33 AM
11/15/19 08:33 AM
St. Croix County, Wisconsin
T
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper
ToTheWoods  Offline
trapper
T

St. Croix County, Wisconsin
I just had this conversation with my Dad and a friend of his last weekend. My dads friend who served in Vietnam two tours and my dad who served 18 months in country were talking about the friends brother and Vet benefits. His brother was drafted and served during Vietnam but was never in country. Both my dad as his friend considered the brother just as much a Vietnam veteran as anyone that served in country in the bush and under fire. Because he was designated a job and just as easily been sent to Vietnam he deserves any and all credit and benefits that a combat veteran deserves. If that is their view then that's good enough for me.

Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: James] #6666322
11/15/19 08:48 AM
11/15/19 08:48 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
There are a great number of view on this subject, for me it is how the person that is a vet view themselves.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: hillbillyjake] #6666346
11/15/19 09:06 AM
11/15/19 09:06 AM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Stan Z
No greater respect do I have for any individual than someone who would put themselves in such danger, physically and mentally, so that others might sleep safely at night. I did not serve.

This ^^^^. I cant say it better.

Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: James] #6666401
11/15/19 09:57 AM
11/15/19 09:57 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by James
I'm confused by the term "combat veteran." I used to think it meant a soldier who'd been in actual combat with a live enemy.

But when I was still in practice, I saw a resume from a woman attorney which said she was a "combat veteran." Her resume was otherwise impressive, and we hired her. Later, I learned that her combat veteran status was based on her being stationed in a designated "combat zone," and she had never actually fired a weapon at an enemy or otherwise participated in battle.

Was that woman justified in claiming "combat veteran" status, solely on the basis of where she was stationed? Or was she guilty of puffing her resume?

I don't mean to slight ANY of our veterans. My Dad is a vet. I respect and appreciate the service of them all. I'm only trying to understand the correct terminology.

Jim

VA has their definition and DOD has theirs. I think individuals also have their own opinions about individual circumstances.

While your colleague may have been legally correct, I personally believe it was a bit of resume enhancement.

Here's a different twist on the subject that also includes claims of 'service connected injuries' when dealing with VA. Apparently it isn't as cut and dried and it would seem.

https://www.hillandponton.com/combat-veterans-proving-combat-status-service-connection/

Mean As Nails
Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: James] #6666431
11/15/19 10:34 AM
11/15/19 10:34 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Does being a " combat veteran" make you a better lawyer? I usually only mention stuff in a job interview that is pertinent to the job. I rarely tell anybody my vet status. Most people are unaware and in the " don't need to know category".

Who is John Galt?
Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: James] #6666461
11/15/19 11:07 AM
11/15/19 11:07 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Seems there has always been controversy over words. Wasn't there a controversy over some of the Merchant Marines in WW2 getting any benefits and after they got them many had already died from injury or old age?

Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: James] #6666469
11/15/19 11:20 AM
11/15/19 11:20 AM
MA
M
MAArcher Offline
trapper
MAArcher  Offline
trapper
M

MA
Sounds like the woman used the term correctly, technically. I'd do the same thing if it was me. When your trying to get a job you're selling yourself. Why sell yourself short? She's probably proud of her service and rightly so.

I left for Army Reserve basic training the day we switched from desert shield to desert storm. There were nights I couldn't sleep because of guys crying like babies thinking they were going to have to go to war (drill Sargent's had lots of fun with that). They were just there to take advantage of the GI bill and obviously had no sense of Duty. I'd rather be around a strong patriotic woman attorney who served in any capacity than those guys, even if they did go on and unwillingly survive some combat.

Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: James] #6666492
11/15/19 11:48 AM
11/15/19 11:48 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Since the lady earned a law degree, she may have just been in the military to take advantage of the educational benefits?

Who is John Galt?
Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: Dirt] #6666500
11/15/19 12:01 PM
11/15/19 12:01 PM
MA
M
MAArcher Offline
trapper
MAArcher  Offline
trapper
M

MA
Originally Posted by Dirt
Since the lady earned a law degree, she may have just been in the military to take advantage of the educational benefits?

Could be, but I just meant to show that everything's relative. Without knowing all the details it wouldn't be fair to assume the woman is somehow lesser than someone who may have actually been shot at. If the original poster misunderstood what "combat veteran" meant, that's on him not her. She used the term as defined by the Veterans Administration to accurately describe her military service to a potential employer.

Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: patfundine] #6666510
11/15/19 12:21 PM
11/15/19 12:21 PM
Macomb, IL
River_Rat86 Offline
trapper
River_Rat86  Offline
trapper

Macomb, IL
Originally Posted by patfundine
I put vets into 2 categories........

Those who talk and brag about what they did. Usually the real story is nothing.

Those who don't want to, or never talk because of what they did..

This....

Re: What is a "combat veteran"? [Re: James] #6666524
11/15/19 12:38 PM
11/15/19 12:38 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Since every member of the US military is a target for terrorists (ied's, suicide bombers, kidnapping, etc.)just being in a war zone would definitely qualify as combat. That's a pretty e-z conclusion to come too....

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread