No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Ski Doo Tundra II R #6686453
12/07/19 11:37 PM
12/07/19 11:37 PM
Alaska
D
deadeye59 Offline OP
trapper
deadeye59  Offline OP
trapper
D

Alaska
I have the above machine and it has let me walk home the last three times I have used it. Twice the end of last season and today, my first outing this year. The problem is it will just quit like the key has been turned off. There is no sputtering, the engine just stops. If I wait a while it will restart and I can go a short distance then it will do it again until finally It won't restart and I get to walk. When it happened the first time I took it in to the local dealer and when I went to pick it up the said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They went out and it started right up and they road it around with no problems. So like a dummy I took it out again and it and made it about 200 hundered yards before it quit and would not restart.

I talked to the dealer and he told me that it sounded like a little black box that controls everything (I can't remember the name) but that it is really expensive if I could even find one and I should just buy a new one. Well I found the box and it was quite expensive but a lot cheaper than a new machine so I ordered it. This was at the end of the season so I installed it this summer and the machnine started right up (this time it wouldn't start until I replaced the box).

So I go out today to set my line and it happens again. It would restart and I would make a run back towards the truck and make a couple hundered yards and it would quite. I did this about three or four times then it would not restart. I messed with it for a while today before I walked out. I noticed that when I pulled the spark plug today it was dry. I pumped the primer a couple of times and tried to restart it with no luck. The plug was still dry so i really pumped the heck out of it and the plug stayed dry so I started to think it may be a fuel issue (although I thought it strange that it was not sputtering before it died). I pulled the top off of the carburator and verified that fuel was going in when when the primer was pumped. I verified there was spark from the spark plug and there was although I thought it look kind of weak but I don't really know what it should look like and I was not testing under the best condtions. I disconnected the hose from the primer to the carburator and pumped fuel directly into the cylander and it still would not fire.

I am wondering if you guys have any thoughts? The machine is not that complicated I don't think but this has me stumped and obviously the dealer also.

Just a note it won't suprise me if it starts right up when I go to retrieve it tomorrow.

Re: Ski Doo Tundra II R [Re: deadeye59] #6686465
12/07/19 11:43 PM
12/07/19 11:43 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Could be the tether switch.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Ski Doo Tundra II R [Re: deadeye59] #6686466
12/07/19 11:45 PM
12/07/19 11:45 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
I can't recall exactly what it was.but I think our member in the Tikchiks had the same problem. It was related to the electronics on the reverse. If you can disconnect the reverse switch it may solve your problem

Mean As Nails
Re: Ski Doo Tundra II R [Re: deadeye59] #6686703
12/08/19 09:13 AM
12/08/19 09:13 AM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
I will be watching this thread!

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: Ski Doo Tundra II R [Re: deadeye59] #6686948
12/08/19 01:40 PM
12/08/19 01:40 PM
alaska
3 Fingers Online content
trapper
3 Fingers  Online Content
trapper

alaska
Not familiar with the wiring on the R model, but in my experience I had similar experience with intermittent spark when tether switch didn’t always make contact. Just pulled the cap off and put a homemade plastic washer/spacer behind it. Not getting fuel I had a crank seal wear out and it started slow-would just die and sometimes run. Got worse until I finally figured out that was my problem.

Re: Ski Doo Tundra II R [Re: Boco] #6686957
12/08/19 01:48 PM
12/08/19 01:48 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Originally Posted by Boco
Could be the tether switch.

Had this problem just recently, also a collapsing fuel line in the tank. Whenever you have two intermittent issues going on at the same time it can cause some real head scratching.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread