Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Digging coyotes [Re: Buck77] #6707116
12/27/19 12:02 AM
12/27/19 12:02 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Out of my 200 plus test sets 90%+ were dug from the front and that's with no backing or guiding as I didn't care which way they worked them and also no consideration to the wind. 4 of the last 5 five coyotes I caught were with the trap on the upwind side along with the last 3 coons and last badger. I will say when you bed a trap in front of a hole your percentage of holes worked the wrong way goes up and it's not because of the wind. And coyotes do know which is the easiest way to dig to get to the bottom of the hole.

Re: Digging coyotes [Re: Buck77] #6707245
12/27/19 07:20 AM
12/27/19 07:20 AM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Flat sets with low backings solves a lot of this sort of issue..... Blended well of coarse.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Digging coyotes [Re: Buck77] #6707429
12/27/19 11:31 AM
12/27/19 11:31 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
So I have found that there are times where your pattern dictates where the animal stands. A small trap sized dirt pattern screams here's the trap. Will a coyote stand out side of that small pattern and go to digging? Are some coyotes PATTERN SHY? or maybe just SET SHY.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91