No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Meat from Mature Rutting Buck [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6705759
12/25/19 05:24 PM
12/25/19 05:24 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
I prefer ones that are shot on the left side and run less than 10 yards. It makes the taste so much better as this means from my stand placement they are headed to the truck. Also a rising moon and only shoot one at least 15 minutes with-in the top or bottom of the hour!!! The key to a good deer meal is condiments and seasoning. Plus if the deer is dead it will taste better. Running deer are always tougher to eat then standing or lying deer. Hanging them is fine but animal rights people frown on it somewhat. If you hang them at least let them have one final cigarette !!!!!

But seriously Meat handling can make all the difference in the world

Re: Meat from Mature Rutting Buck [Re: Catpincher] #6705805
12/25/19 06:37 PM
12/25/19 06:37 PM
South Dakota
M
M.S. Pickins Offline
trapper
M.S. Pickins  Offline
trapper
M

South Dakota
Originally Posted by Catpincher
These western Blacktail and Mule deer in the rut are only good for dog food. A buddy of mine drought home a Whitetail cornfield 12 point Eastern Kansas Buck to Oregon with the hide still on and it's neck was as big around as a 30 gallon barrel. I laughed at him and told him it was a waste of time to skin. I was wrong it was some of the best Deer meat I have ate.

I would agree, diet is a big factor. Alot of guys in the east are eating grain fed critters. In the west everything tastes pretty gamey unless it found somebodies fields.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread