No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Power Outage #6713066
01/01/20 01:39 PM
01/01/20 01:39 PM
Michigan's EUP
B
BruceDafter Offline OP
trapper
BruceDafter  Offline OP
trapper
B

Michigan's EUP
We had some bad weather here in the EUP Sunday into Monday causing widespread power outages. Rain, then ice, then heavy wet snow. Our local utility covers all or part of 4 or 5 counties, roughly the east 1/4 of the Upper Peninsula, and at one point had 18000+ services out of around 42000+ that they service. I have been out for about 40 hours now, and I know many others have been out even longer. The utility has mutual aid crews from other areas here and they are all doing a tremendous job in less then ideal conditions. They said there was 450 separate locations where lines were down or trees were on them at one point. Thankfully it is somewhat mild for this time of year. I hope people are being careful with temp heat and are pulling thru this. I'm lucky to have a small generator to keep the sump pump running and the fridge/freezer cold. Hope anyone out in the area is safe and warm, check on your neighbors if you can. Happy New Year to all.

Re: Power Outage [Re: BruceDafter] #6713085
01/01/20 02:03 PM
01/01/20 02:03 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Tough conditions, but it sounds like you are doing all right. Look at it this way - the year has got to get better from here!

Re: Power Outage [Re: BruceDafter] #6713089
01/01/20 02:08 PM
01/01/20 02:08 PM
UP of Michigan
B
billy Offline
trapper
billy  Offline
trapper
B

UP of Michigan
thinking about you guys in the eastern up, we pray that your power is restored soon.second time in less than a month that parts of Michigan,minnesota,wisconsin have had major power outages due to freezing rain and wet snow takeing down power lines.you guys over there take care.

Billy
Re: Power Outage [Re: BruceDafter] #6713232
01/01/20 04:39 PM
01/01/20 04:39 PM
N.Y.,E. Adks
TRADER TUT Offline
trapper
TRADER TUT  Offline
trapper

N.Y.,E. Adks
Not as bad as the ICE STORM of 98, not out of woods YET. Needs to warm up here, still a lot of ice .

I Farm The Forest
Re: Power Outage [Re: BruceDafter] #6713235
01/01/20 04:41 PM
01/01/20 04:41 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Online content

trapper
330-Trapper  Online Content

trapper

Minnesota
Hold down the Fort

Stay warm.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Power Outage [Re: BruceDafter] #6713260
01/01/20 05:06 PM
01/01/20 05:06 PM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
We had a derecho come through a few years ago. I didn't even know what a derecho was before it happened - straight line winds that took down a lot of trees. 6:00am the next morning, I reported our electric outage to the utility and found out that we were in line to have our electric turned back on 7 days later. We got in the truck immediately to be the first one at the local Tractor Supply to buy a generator. We had to cut up a couple of trees across the roads to get to get to the store. Others were out with chainsaws and we worked together to get the trees out of the way. We were there when they opened the doors and headed back to the generator aisle using a flashlight. There was already a crowd waiting outside when we arrived and they cleared the shelves before we got to them. Would have beat them if it wasn't for the downed trees.

I do a lot of business with the Lowes about 20 miles from here and have gotten to know a few people in management there. I called and was given some insider information that a truck was supposed to show up at 1:00 with a shipment of generators. If I showed up, I was going to be allowed to pay in advance for one and could take it right off the tail gate when the truck arrived. I got there at 12:00 to a crowd of over 100 people waiting for the same truck. Apparently everybody else got the insider info too.

We started driving north. I was driving and my wife was calling stores in every town along our route - none had generators. One guy told us there was some sort of storm "down south" and everyone already bought them out that morning. We ended up driving 130 miles from home before we found a generator. Took 5 days to get power back. It was winter. I re-wired the oil furnace and well pump to be run from the generator and life wasn't so bad.

Good luck. In January, it's good to have a generator.

-Ryan
Re: Power Outage [Re: BruceDafter] #6713326
01/01/20 06:27 PM
01/01/20 06:27 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
This was one time where we lucked out,our power went out for about 5 minutes Monday,then came back on.We live on a peninsula,north of us,and south of us lost power then and as far as I know,its still out.Brought a tree down that almost covered the whole drive way,the wife was able to squeeze past it for work.When i was out looking at the tree and looked toward the side yard and noticed something odd.Something was missing.Then I realized it was the old wood shed,it had a slight lean to it but it collapsed with the heavy snow and the subsequent snow buried it.Looks like a serious cleanup job when this snow melts this spring.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Power Outage [Re: BruceDafter] #6713399
01/01/20 07:39 PM
01/01/20 07:39 PM
Michigan's EUP
B
BruceDafter Offline OP
trapper
BruceDafter  Offline OP
trapper
B

Michigan's EUP
This is the conditions the line crews and plow drivers are dealing with. The first in in my back yard, which is fairly typical around my area. The second was a Facebook post by the road commission showing conditions and is about 5 miles from me. The utility is making a lot of progress for what they have faced. Continued thoughts for those dealing with this and those working to fix it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread