No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What Killed This Horse [Re: ShawneeMan] #6713997
01/02/20 11:33 AM
01/02/20 11:33 AM
SW WI
trapper20 Offline
trapper
trapper20  Offline
trapper

SW WI
like 160 said, died and birds got to it. coyotes in my experience usually start froom the rear and work fwd, eating the good stuff first

Re: What Killed This Horse [Re: trapper20] #6714092
01/02/20 12:56 PM
01/02/20 12:56 PM
Europe
P
Pest's Dad Offline
trapper
Pest's Dad  Offline
trapper
P

Europe
I miss 'Wile E Coyote', at times like this frown

Re: What Killed This Horse [Re: ShawneeMan] #6714122
01/02/20 01:15 PM
01/02/20 01:15 PM
South Dakota
R
Rhino7 Offline
trapper
Rhino7  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
[quote=ShawneeMan
(I'm sure the DNR doesn't know anything about them - just like the cougars...)

Thoughts on what could have done this?

[/quote]

I love these types of posts. People post these types of things when they clearly have no idea how state agencies "list" these species. Do you understand what the state is saying when they tell you that "We dont have mountain lions"? They realize that lions can pass through, do you think they should have a season and start managing them because some guy saw one? Should they start managing for red wolves because a farmer googled an image of them? A state agency cant list, manage and tell everyone they have a certain species because some "very qualified" farmer saw them once.

Re: What Killed This Horse [Re: Rhino7] #6714176
01/02/20 01:57 PM
01/02/20 01:57 PM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
Originally Posted by Rhino7

I love these types of posts. People post these types of things when they clearly have no idea how state agencies "list" these species. Do you understand what the state is saying when they tell you that "We dont have mountain lions"? They realize that lions can pass through, do you think they should have a season and start managing them because some guy saw one? Should they start managing for red wolves because a farmer googled an image of them? A state agency cant list, manage and tell everyone they have a certain species because some "very qualified" farmer saw them once.

That's far too much common sense for this place. People here love a good conspiracy theory.

Re: What Killed This Horse [Re: ShawneeMan] #6714182
01/02/20 02:01 PM
01/02/20 02:01 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Whatever it was it's coming back

Lots of meals left

Report a post club - Non member

Re: What Killed This Horse [Re: Pest's Dad] #6715952
01/04/20 02:12 AM
01/04/20 02:12 AM
MN
M
Mark K Offline
trapper
Mark K  Offline
trapper
M

MN
Originally Posted by Pest's Dad
I miss 'Wile E Coyote', at times like this frown

Yeah, what happened to him. I still have some of his articles.

Re: What Killed This Horse [Re: ShawneeMan] #6715953
01/04/20 02:16 AM
01/04/20 02:16 AM
MN
M
Mark K Offline
trapper
Mark K  Offline
trapper
M

MN
Here is the text from his article "Determining calves that were killed by coyotes'.

Coyotes are probably the most cussed and discussed critter on this continent. They are adaptable, resourceful, unpredictable, and damaging AT OTHER TIMES. Coyotes have incredible survival instincts and regardless how much some people learn to hate them, you have to still respect them for their ability to survive in an ever changing environment.
Coyotes provide a tremendous amount of recreational hunting opportunity, they are entertaining to watch at times, and other times they can create havoc with livestock.
Coyotes have aesthetic value to some, recreational value to some, fur value to some, AND NO VALUE TO OTHERS. LOL!
They can run from a vehicle when it slows down or they can follow a tractor around the field looking for mice. They can run from the sound of gun fire when they are being shot at or they can come to the sound of gunfire if it means dead pr. dogs to eat.
Coyotes readily modify their behavior to adapt to their environment.
Yeh, they do provide a service by cleaning up the dead stuff but so do maggots. The coyotes simply remove the odor problem associated with maggots and a rotten carcass.
Like most stories, the coyote has two sides to it's story as well.
Everyone has a tendancy to evaluate coyotes based on their own personal experiences with them.
Because of the diversity of interests involving coyotes, they are a species that needs management and/or control much like deer. In some areas they never cause problems while in other areas they always cause problems.
Very few coyotes won't kill sheep when provided with the opportunity but I will focus on calves for now.
For what it's worth, here's some of the typical patterns with coyotes and some of the situations I have encountered over the years:
Whether or not coyotes kill calves on a particular ranch or not depends on many different variables. Some ranchers have never had coyote problems, some ranchers always have coyote problems, and some ranchers occassionally have problems.
Those that do not have coyote problems blame poor management on the ranchers that do have coyote problems. Sometimes this is correct but many times it's not.
Whether or not a CATTLE ranch has coyote problems depends on WHEN they calf, HOW they calf in relation to the type of geography, food availability for the coyotes, the number of territorial adult coyotes in the area, the number of other ranches that are calving in the same area at the same time (more natural food), the number of cows calving at the same time on a particular ranch (more natural food), weather, hunting pressure, etc. etc.
Coyotes are opportunists and will generally take the easiest route to obtain food. If that means fighting with a mother cow when other food is available, it's usually not worth the effort for the coyote.
If bad weather sets in, other food is scarce, cows are calving in heavier cover, etc. etc. this changes the picture significantly. As the detectives would say, this situation provides "motive" for the coyote.
I agree that many times coyotes will get blamed for livestock that died naturally and the coyotes simply cleaned up the dead livestock. I have seen that many times and proved the coyote's innocense. On the other hand, I have seen where coyotes will be credited for cleaning up calves that died naturally when the coyotes actually killed them. I have seen both situations.
Most of you guys are pretty sharp cowboys but it takes a little detective work to know for sure what actually happened.
When calves are born, they have a soft cartilage cap on the bottom of their hooves. This cap will be scraped off rather quickly in a calves first struggles to get up. If the soft cartilage shells are still on the hooves when you find the coyotes feeding on the dead calf, this calf was never on it's feet and was probably born dead.
You can usually take that one to the bank!
If you don't learn anything else from this post, read that last paragraph again and start looking for this.
Of course I look for other signs as well such as the tongue and head of the calf being swelled from a difficult birth, the cow being wobbly from a difficult birth, the color of the calf blood, whether the calf ever nursed, the disposition of the cow, etc. etc.
A cow that fought off coyotes will usually be heated up pretty good but sometimes this can be a fever from a difficult birth as well. At times, when coyotes are trying to grab a calf, it can cause the cow to stomp on her calf killing it indirectly. These calves may have never had a chance to get on their feet.
A calf that is born dead usually bleeds in one spot and the blood tends to appear darker in color. A calf that was killed by coyotes tends to paint the grass or snow a bright red blood color as it bleeds out or sprays out. The blood is another real key in determining what actually happened at the "crime scene".
If you put all these signs together, you can usually know for sure but the soft cartilage caps and the blood are usually the "smoking guns".
Now if the coyotes happended to be right there as the calf was born and grabbed it and drug it off before the cow could get up, I suppose it's possible for coyotes to kill a live calf before it could scrape the soft cartilage shell off. That would be a rare situation.
I HAVE BEEN TOLD that if a calf took a breath the lung tissue will float, if it didn't it will sink. I haven't tried this myself so I cannot say for sure.
I have seen numerous occassions where a heifer or young cow was partially paralyzed from a difficult birth and the coyotes would literally eat into her rear end as she is trying to calve. Many times these situations will reveal a backwards calf and a rancher that didn't catch it in time. Most of these heifers and young cows have to be destroyed due to loss of blood.
It seems that a cow that had a still born calf acts a little different than a cow that had a live calf. The cow that had a live calf seems to show a little more concern than a cow that had a still born. I cannot prove THIS THEORY so take it for what it's worth. It is just a theory.
Coyotes will always congregate on the calving grounds for miles around to eat the highly nutritious calf colostrum manure, the dead livestock, and to clean up the placentas or "afterbirth" if you will. Most of the coyotes in the country are within two miles of the cattle during calving so naturally this gives the appearance of more coyotes at this time of year than at other times of the year.
Most of the time geography plays a big factor in whether or not some guys have coyote problems. If the cows are calving in rough breaks with heavy cover and places where coyotes can sneak in and grab a calf, they will usually have more problems than those who calve out in the open where coyotes are more visible.
When a cow abandons a new born calf to go to feed or water, this provides an opportunity for coyotes to sneak in and grab a calf.
Many times the first ranchers to calve in the area will attract the coyotes to them before their neighbors have even started calving. By the time the neighbor is calving, the coyotes have plenty to eat so the later calver may never have problems.
I have seen the whole thing played out in the snow many times. Coyotes stumble across a new born calf when the mother, usually a heifer, went to water or feed. If the calf gets up and runs, the coyotes chase it, open it in the flank area and kill it that way. A typical calf kill is opened in the flank area where a typical sheep kill is by the throat.
Bobbed calf tails are usually the first sign of coyote problems.
Hunting pressure can reduce the number of older coyotes in some areas. OLDER TERRITORIAL COYOTES are much more prone to killing calves than the younger dispersing coyotes that replace them before spring. The older coyotes tend to be bolder and more aggressive than younger coyotes and are also more familiar with the area.
Another situation that is quite common is when coyotes can run a calf off the creek bank or when they can get them out on the ice.
Usually most coyote kills are single isolated one shot opportunities and by the time the next opportunity would present itself, there is more than enough more natural food to eat. On rare occassions you will get a coyote that becomes a bonified calf killer and will kill multiple calves but this is the exception. At least that has been the exception in my experiences.
Last year I saw a situation where coyotes ran calves off a creek bank and killed them. These calves were a week old and already tagged.
In conclusion, I hope I have given many of you more to think about in regards to coyote predation than what you have seen or observed yourselves. You cannot take anything about coyote behavior and etch it in stone. Coyote theories have to be "carved in soap" due to all the variables that affect their behavior.

Re: What Killed This Horse [Re: ShawneeMan] #6715963
01/04/20 02:38 AM
01/04/20 02:38 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
That is a very good read!

Re: What Killed This Horse [Re: ShawneeMan] #6715981
01/04/20 04:38 AM
01/04/20 04:38 AM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Yotes,id say.
. Maybe a family making a kill.

They will almost always go for the jawbone on sheep.

Jerry showed me how to check and see if a coyote killed a lamb in The event I find one dead on the farm and he isn't around.

A cougar kill would have clawmarks on Its hind quarters because more often than not cats attack from behind. They like to knock their prey off balance.

IF IDIOTS GREW ON TREES THIS PLACE WOULD BE AN ORCHARD !

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread