No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6716272
01/04/20 12:01 PM
01/04/20 12:01 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Yes,when mixing green wood,
I build a hot fire at the camp and burn out the creosote once in the fall.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6716306
01/04/20 12:36 PM
01/04/20 12:36 PM
Priest River, Idaho USA
S
SundanceMtnMan Offline
trapper
SundanceMtnMan  Offline
trapper
S

Priest River, Idaho USA
I have burned wood my entire life. Western larch,douglas (red) fir and paper birch are considered the best firewood around here but I burn it all. I have a lot of cottonwood and ponderosa (bull) pine on my property so they are burnt a lot. We don't have any hardwoods. I have fairly hot fires so don't worry about creosote. Creosote is made worse by burning green wood or restricting the air by shutting down your stove so the fire just smolders. I clean my chimney once a year. If the house gets too hot we let the fire go out or open a window. The house got too hot on Thursday so didn't even start a fire yesterday. Why criticize how a man conducts his affairs? If you don't agree don't associate with him, if you don't like the house rules don't go to that house. JMO.

"They Say Nothing is Impossible,
But, I Do Nothing Every Day."
Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: Hatchetman] #6716316
01/04/20 12:42 PM
01/04/20 12:42 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Hatchetman

White,
I would guess your wood burning experience has been with aspen, spruce/pine or birch.
For a midwesterner, that is all crap wood.
I burn a little aspen and birch myself and it always amazes me how you can have a roaring fire going in the furnace and it just doesn't seem to heat the house very well. If you are used to getting it up to 70+ in the house you will be making many trips to the furnace to stoke it up and even then it just seems to struggle to actually heat things up.
You wouldn't think burning good hardwood would put out that much more heat but it does.
I can see why you wouldn't want to loose any heat from your place burning that kind of wood not to mention you have a lot more cold than we do.
I burn about 5-6 full cords every year to heat my place. If i had all soft wood i'm sure it would be twice that at least, hence a lot more wood to handle in and out.
I could see if that's all that was available it would make wood burning a real PIA.

Yeah I only burn dry birch. Spruce and cottonwood burn too quickly, leave too much ash, and don't have the BTU's per cord that birch does. I would love to have access to some real hardwood

I keep 2-3 years ahead on my wood supply. I have three woodsheds and rotate from year to year. I keep about two weeks worth of wood on my deck so I don't have to trek to the woodshed at all hours.
When I open my door at today's temperature, a white cloud billows in. Lets say it takes me 5 seconds to go through the door and another 7 seconds to come back inside with an arm load of wood. In that time the temperature in my house will drop 2 degrees and take another 15-30 minutes to recover.

Firewood has a cost of $350 per cord and up......depending on the species. You don't leave any door open very long here. That's the reason most houses have an arctic entry....so there is no door open directly to the outside.

Mean As Nails
Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6716318
01/04/20 12:44 PM
01/04/20 12:44 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
In the north here,there are usually stands of fire killed spruce on or near the trapline.This is the best firewood,as far as collecting.It has no bark is dry and sound(not rotten)and light to transport with the skidoo.And unlimited supply,there for the taking whenever needed,and splits beautifully.
I like to burn fire killed black spruce.
Fire killed pine is OK but has a lot of tar in it.It is good if you want to make some pine tar.

Last edited by Boco; 01/04/20 12:46 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6716326
01/04/20 12:50 PM
01/04/20 12:50 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Artic room = mud room = "work man's entry" in the old farm houses. Interesting name to geography of households entry.

Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: white17] #6716340
01/04/20 01:04 PM
01/04/20 01:04 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by Hatchetman

White,
I would guess your wood burning experience has been with aspen, spruce/pine or birch.
For a midwesterner, that is all crap wood.
I burn a little aspen and birch myself and it always amazes me how you can have a roaring fire going in the furnace and it just doesn't seem to heat the house very well. If you are used to getting it up to 70+ in the house you will be making many trips to the furnace to stoke it up and even then it just seems to struggle to actually heat things up.
You wouldn't think burning good hardwood would put out that much more heat but it does.
I can see why you wouldn't want to loose any heat from your place burning that kind of wood not to mention you have a lot more cold than we do.
I burn about 5-6 full cords every year to heat my place. If i had all soft wood i'm sure it would be twice that at least, hence a lot more wood to handle in and out.
I could see if that's all that was available it would make wood burning a real PIA.

Yeah I only burn dry birch. Spruce and cottonwood burn to quickly, leave too much ash, and don't have the BTU's per cord that birch does. I would love to have access to some real hardwood

I keep 2-3 years ahead on my wood supply. I have three woodsheds and rotate from year to year. I keep about two weeks worth of wood on my deck so I don't have to trek to the woodshed at all hours.
When I open my door at today's temperature, a white cloud billows in. Lets say it takes me 5 seconds to go through the door and another 7 seconds to come back inside with an arm load of wood. In that time the temperature in my house will drop 2 degrees and take another 15-30 minutes to recover.

Firewood has a cost of $350 per cord and up......depending on the species. You don't leave any door open very long here. That's the reason most houses have an arctic entry....so there is no door open directly to the outside.

You live in weather conditions that would be considered extreme by most of us White. Here in southeast Pennsylvania I consider single digits pretty cold and we only see below zero a few times each winter if that. Maybe if we got as cold as you I'd start yelling at people to "CLOSE THE DOOR!" laugh

Eh...wot?

Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6716407
01/04/20 02:04 PM
01/04/20 02:04 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.
Originally Posted by Getting There
Is there a point here. All heat wood, coal, electric, heat pump, all cost money to use. JMO (they must have stopped saying are you born in a barn) LOL

------You are never to old to Vote!------

I guess the point was that most of us that heat with wood go out and get it, split and burn it. Those that heat with gas or electric have to pay for it each month. They see the $$$ flying out the door. Those that heat with wood just don't care or say 'put another log on the fire'. Did that last part put a song in your head?

Yep!

+++In Michigan you have to be 18 year old and registered to Vote+++

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: Lugnut] #6716417
01/04/20 02:15 PM
01/04/20 02:15 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Lugnut

You live in weather conditions that would be considered extreme by most of us White. Here in southeast Pennsylvania I consider single digits pretty cold and we only see below zero a few times each winter if that. Maybe if we got as cold as you I'd start yelling at people to "CLOSE THE DOOR!" laugh

I'm sure that's true Lug. Right now there is 111 degree difference between inside & outside.

Mean As Nails
Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6716419
01/04/20 02:18 PM
01/04/20 02:18 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Online mad
trapper
BigBob  Online Mad
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
You can always tel the putz that never cut, split,. hauled, and stacked a cord of firewood in his life by the way he loves to pile the wood on and just has to keep poking at it to make it burn faster. GRRRRRR!!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6721777
01/09/20 01:15 AM
01/09/20 01:15 AM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline OP
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ne pa
Sorry for not getting back sooner but I was busy playing in the outdoors. BIG THANKS to all those that stuck up fore me!

The point was that most people that burn wood for heat are a bit more easy going. A bit more self sufficient if you will.

I am sure it is a bit different in a place with no trees and the temps dip into the negatives. Like - whatever during the day.

Funny thing is, if I figured in what my employer pays me for the time that I spend getting firewood I would be better off heating with other sources. The fact is I like going out in the woods and getting firewood. I like going out and getting firewood. I enjoy the time.

But then again I am young and dumb.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6721981
01/09/20 09:27 AM
01/09/20 09:27 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I run two small businesses and don't always have time to process enough wood to heat at home all season. I'm also a miser and like to know how I can get the best bang for my buck.

My two heating options are fuel oil and wood, I have fuel-oil fired, forced air systems here at home and at camp as well as woodstoves at both places.

A cord of hardwood (mostly oak is what I buy) cost $200.00 delivered and gives me about 25,000,000 (twenty-five million) BTU's

A gallon of fuel oil gives about 139,000 BTU's so it would take about 180 gallons to equal a cord of wood. I just paid $2.70 per gallon for fuel oil at an apartment building I manage. That comes to $486.00, more than twice the amount of money for the same BTU's.

There is a bit of time and labor involved in moving the wood from where it is dumped in the driveway to where it is stacked on the porch. And there is extra work loading the fire three or four times a day and cleaning out the ashes once and a while. But, as I said above, I'm a miser, I'll do that relatively small amount of extra work to gain those savings.

I takes about five cords to heat my home during a normal heating season, that's $1,000.00 if I buy all my wood or $2,430.00 if I burn fuel oil for the heating season.

Eh...wot?

Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6722076
01/09/20 10:56 AM
01/09/20 10:56 AM
mi. u.p
grapestomper Offline
trapper
grapestomper  Offline
trapper

mi. u.p
I burn wood in an outdoor burner.
This year i turned my water temp down some to see the result.
My blower on my furnace runs longer but the house stays at 70 easy enough.
I have been getting up to 24 hours on a full load.
My kids and i get wood in a loader. We go and cut one bucket or more at a time. Takes a little over an hour to fill the bucket.
One bucket lasts about a week. We don't split anything. Cut it and dump next to the burner. I'm not one of those guys that has to have a pretty wood pile.
We try and cut at least one load a week in the winter so our pile never gets to small. Better than cutting wood when it is 75 outside.
I still chew my kids out when they leave the door open. We prefer getting some exercise rather than paying the gas man.

Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6722079
01/09/20 11:02 AM
01/09/20 11:02 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Inspired by Lug, I just ran those same calculations.

I use about 5 cords of birch during a heating season.

If I bought my wood at $350/cord that equals $1750 per season

The equivalent BTU values of oil would cost me $4105 per season

Mean As Nails
Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6722103
01/09/20 11:39 AM
01/09/20 11:39 AM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
Golly I love these kind of posts, it shows the difference in folks across the country.
I see that some wood is junk and oak is better. I give away the junk oak and locust that gets cut here to an elderly neighbor. Yall should burn a few cord of seasoned hedge (osage orange) and see how often the door or window get left open. laugh All kidding aside, it would be nice if you norther folks had hedge to burn. It is hot and burns a long time, two good size sticks will keep my house warm all day. When Dad was still alive he would keep the stove filled. I remember coming in to check on him and it would be well over 100 degrees in the house. I never understood it cause he didn't handle heat well, but as long as he could see snow out the window it was cold in the house (in his mind). I even put a thermometer by his chair so he could see how hot it was, but he would still keep shoving hedge in the stove. crazy

Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: Boco] #6722106
01/09/20 11:45 AM
01/09/20 11:45 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Boco
A few sticks of tamarack in the stove and you'll be opening windows and doors.Tamarack burns so hot I mix it with a bit of green poplar.

A logger friend of mine told me tamarack was his favorite as far as firewood goes. Said the same thing, it burns hot.

Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6722183
01/09/20 12:44 PM
01/09/20 12:44 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
The trouble is tamarack doesn't get bigger than 3-4 inches diameter

Mean As Nails
Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: white17] #6722256
01/09/20 01:28 PM
01/09/20 01:28 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook

Similar to that spindly black spruce? With the snow you guys have been getting, I wouldn't want to be trudging to a wood pile.

Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: Jerry Jr.] #6722291
01/09/20 01:49 PM
01/09/20 01:49 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Between 5 feet of snow and 50 below it isn't something I look forward to!

Mean As Nails
Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: white17] #6722296
01/09/20 01:52 PM
01/09/20 01:52 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Inspired by Lug, I just ran those same calculations.

I use about 5 cords of birch during a heating season.

If I bought my wood at $350/cord that equals $1750 per season

The equivalent BTU values of oil would cost me $4105 per season

So we would both pay about 140% more for fuel oil, interesting.

Eh...wot?

Re: The problem with burning firewood. [Re: white17] #6722298
01/09/20 01:56 PM
01/09/20 01:56 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba

And my I note; Is a hundred years old in your region.

Note that the northern wood grows slower and the dark winter ring is much denser, there is a lot ore BTU's in it than southern wood.
Black Spruce from 60 *N vs 50*n has a differences of 10% more Btu's most numbers quoted are from southern equations.

Another equation that has not been made is the Membership in the Health Club, so take that off the wood guys and put it on the fuel tab guys. But add to the wood guys bill a tub of Absorbine Jr

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread