No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Aluminum vs Carbon Bolts [Re: 330-Trapper] #6729779
01/15/20 11:52 AM
01/15/20 11:52 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline OP

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline OP

trapper

Minnesota
Im not taking a shot past 35 ...but I do have the Tri trigger stick ...good tip snare loop!!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Aluminum vs Carbon Bolts [Re: 330-Trapper] #6729888
01/15/20 01:55 PM
01/15/20 01:55 PM
North Fairfield Ohio
B
BryanOney Offline
trapper
BryanOney  Offline
trapper
B

North Fairfield Ohio
I have been shooting x bows for quite a few years. When I was younger I would take damaged aluminum arrows from shooting my compound and cut them off to use the undamaged part for x-bow bolts. I was happy as long as I was consistently hitting the dot on my target and killing deer. 12 years ago I bought an Excalibur. I was shooting the old aluminum bolts I had kept for years and I just could not get the accuracy other people were getting out of their Excals. A person on the Excalibur Forum told me my old aluminum bolts would have small almost undetectable bends in them from pulling them out of the target etc and if I would switch to carbon my accuracy would improve a lot. This person went on to tell me to pick one carbon arrow and mark it and sight in my x bow specifically for this bolt. By shooting this one bolt my Excal would almost hit the same bolt hole each time. They told me even the carbon bolts would hit in slightly different spots due to imperfections in the carbon bolts. I did both of these things and they were true. Since then I keep my old aluminum bolts in case I need a second shot to finish off a deer. Having said that though, I have not needed a second shot on a deer since I switched to carbon and began sighting in for one specific bolt. Good luck.

Re: Aluminum vs Carbon Bolts [Re: 330-Trapper] #6729919
01/15/20 02:19 PM
01/15/20 02:19 PM
Custer Co, Idaho
S
sneaky Offline
trapper
sneaky  Offline
trapper
S

Custer Co, Idaho
I used to own an archery shop. Some crossbows use flat nocks, some use the dished style nocks, Excalibur has their threaded nocks to screw in an arrow puller. It'll generally be in your owner's manual which style of nocks your crossbow requires. Using a flat nock when a grooved nock is recommended can lead to dry fires. When the TAC15 crossbow from PSE came along it used a 26" bolt with a regular capture style nock. It was a bolt made specifically for that crossbow. Brass inserts are a must, not only for overall weight but for front of center. Aluminum bolts and arrows are generally a heavier GPI so it's harder to get a higher FOC with them. Bolts are the exception to this though as a lot of the carbon bolts are high gpi because they have to be to get minimum arrow weights over a shorter bolt. FMJ bolts are very high GPI, but they still bend much easier than an all carbon bolt.
Easier target removal though, with the aluminum outer. Heavier bolts do outpenetrate lighter bolts, simple physics. Momentum numbers are higher on heavier bolts and arrows, KE is a worthless measurement of energy. Momentum is the force required to stop an object over the span of one second. KE is the measurement of force required to stop an object in the span of one foot. Simplest analogy is this, which hits harder? A wiffle ball going 90mph or a baseball going 60mph? Mass in motion tends to stay in motion. Light arrows and bolts lose speed and energy exponentially faster at distance than heavier arrows or bolts. You can be too light, or you can be too heavy. Heavier bolts and arrows make your bow quieter and absorb more energy from the bow. Any bow test you read, the highest efficiency numbers are always with the heavier arrows because of this. As for xbows, those Mission Sub-1 bows are compact and extremely accurate. High horsepower the Scorpyds are extremely fast and accurate. Maneuverability goes to the Sub-1 , it's just a much more compact xbow.

Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Re: Aluminum vs Carbon Bolts [Re: sneaky] #6729999
01/15/20 03:47 PM
01/15/20 03:47 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline OP

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline OP

trapper

Minnesota
I have this Bow [Linked Image]
Excaliber micro Axe 340

Flat nock 16.5 Quill Carbon bolts

So right now until I Choose ...I have just 3 bolts

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Aluminum vs Carbon Bolts [Re: 330-Trapper] #6730011
01/15/20 03:56 PM
01/15/20 03:56 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
I got to go to a crossbow starting this year myself.Thanks for the information.

Nevada bound
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread