No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Warning! Another Religious Post [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6750518
01/30/20 10:19 AM
01/30/20 10:19 AM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Great story, Bob.
I've been there myself. You just about gain a friend for life helping out someone like that. Not only do they look at you like a guardian angel , it makes you feel good too. Win-win.

Props to you helping them out.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Warning! Another Religious Post [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6750530
01/30/20 10:24 AM
01/30/20 10:24 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Great posts guys

Re: Warning! Another Religious Post [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6750683
01/30/20 12:16 PM
01/30/20 12:16 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
I love to hear storys that end well! I've got one that made me very suspicious of helping some one nowdays. Was coming home from scouting some new country that I got oermission on. Was close to a public low water area, that there were always people hanging out at. Had my son with me, he was about seven, and a man and lady in their late twenties, were looking for a ride. Said he wanted a ride to I 70, and I said that I wasn't going there but would drop him off on the busier hwy that goes there. After loading up in the back seat, he starts telling me that I gotta take him to I 70. I stopped the car, got out and told him, that's not how this works. Told him he can get out now or ride to the hwy, was his choice. It worked out alright, but made me rethink picking up hitch hikers. As belligerent as he was, it could have gotten bad quick!

I will still help people in trouble though, and have many times!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Warning! Another Religious Post [Re: Cragar] #6750775
01/30/20 01:23 PM
01/30/20 01:23 PM
Indiana
M
MrsFord Offline
trapper
MrsFord  Offline
trapper
M

Indiana
Originally Posted by Cragar
Originally Posted by MrsFord
That is awesome! Love hearin about good people.
Tire changing is an important skill to have. My dad taught me when I had my first truck and it has saved me so much in my life! I also Always have a plug kit in my vehicle (live on gravel roads) had to learn how to do that a year or two ago. So glad I did. smile

Your dad gets props for raising you right. Knowing how to change a tire can be a very valuable skill. The expansion of road side services like AAA is because people have lost this skill , it is not taught anymore like it used to be years ago. I've changed plenty of tires for other people and saved them $100 or more for a roadside call. I was buying a tire a few months ago , seen a tow truck come in with a car with a flat. Two women with the car , they had driven on the flat until the wheel was shot. Now they need a tire , wheel and got to pay a tow bill. Guessing $500 it cost them because they didn't know how to do it. If I was their husband , they would be getting a lesson real soon. I've taught my girlfriend how to do it. $500 is a lot of coin to just spend because you can't do it.

I have said this for years , changing a tire , knowing how to check the oil and jump starting a car correctly should be part of drivers education.

Love my dad for those lessons. I’m cheap by nature and couldn’t stomach what they charge for services and membership. Also have a hard time for maintenance things. I’ve taught myself to change my brakes and oil, even changed out a starter solenoid(it was a manual pickup and had to push start it more then a few times lol. Learned to park on a hill if possible) . Knowing how to do a jumpstart is also a good one. smile kids definitely need more practical education but few want to take the time or get dirty due to lifestyle changes. smirk

New trapper! Really excited to learn!
Re: Warning! Another Religious Post [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6750788
01/30/20 01:31 PM
01/30/20 01:31 PM
Indiana
M
MrsFord Offline
trapper
MrsFord  Offline
trapper
M

Indiana
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
[quote=MrsFord]That is awesome! Love hearin about good people.
Tire changing is an important skill to have.

I have said this for years , changing a tire , knowing how to check the oil and jump starting a car correctly should be part of drivers education.

I wouldn’t say lack of skill as most folks can read and there is step by step in the manual. The reason for an increase in membership of AAA is wealth. People weigh the cost to aggravation and now a days they have more money than tolerance.

Very true, no extra wealth here but I also love learning to be more self sufficient. Don’t like having to rely on others when I can do it myself. Lol. Last winter I had to change my tire cuz there was no pluggin that one and I was 8 month preggers. laugh

New trapper! Really excited to learn!
Re: Warning! Another Religious Post [Re: Cragar] #6750793
01/30/20 01:35 PM
01/30/20 01:35 PM
Nebraska
1crazytrapper Offline
trapper
1crazytrapper  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Getting There
Sorry our school does not have driver Ed. anymore. We sure could use it.

I would vote for it!

That is sad. When I went to school , it was cheaper there than going to private driving school on your own. My guess is the school subsidized it. Bet those funds were hijacked for something less worthy.

How to use condoms. Also how to decide what your sexual orientation is.

Member of NFH and NRA
Re: Warning! Another Religious Post [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6750794
01/30/20 01:36 PM
01/30/20 01:36 PM
West coast of Iowa
I
iaduckhntr Offline
trapper
iaduckhntr  Offline
trapper
I

West coast of Iowa
My late dad had a couple of excellent ideas #1 Every one could not graduate HS till you could swim some, not expert, but just enough to keep yourself from drowning. #2 same graduating restricting's with changing a tire .
Dennis

Old 8 toes~~ life ITA and NRA member
Life in the fast lane is no place for a tricycle!
Re: Warning! Another Religious Post [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6750799
01/30/20 01:39 PM
01/30/20 01:39 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Not much to changing a tire...finding the dang jack is the issue!!

Re: Warning! Another Religious Post [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6750803
01/30/20 01:40 PM
01/30/20 01:40 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
But in your stories case...everything happens according to Gods plan. May not like it, but he’s always there looking out for ya!

Re: Warning! Another Religious Post [Re: Wanna Be] #6750831
01/30/20 01:43 PM
01/30/20 01:43 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
But in your stories case...everything happens according to Gods plan. May not like it, but he’s always there looking out for ya!

That seemed to be the take away my son and his friends got. I think it was the first time the pieces came together like that for them. They couldn’t stop talking about it. lol

-Goofy-
Re: Warning! Another Religious Post [Re: Wanna Be] #6750838
01/30/20 01:45 PM
01/30/20 01:45 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border

What is worse is putting it back exactly the only one way it will fit.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Warning! Another Religious Post [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6750844
01/30/20 01:48 PM
01/30/20 01:48 PM
Southern Wisconsin
F
Fishdog One Offline
trapper
Fishdog One  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Wisconsin
Have to throw this out there about changing a tire. Had my 2014 Ford F150 in for 4 new tires. The service desk guy tells me they can't get a rear wheel off, tight on the center hub diameter. He had been pounding the rim with a dead blow hammer and squirting it up with solvent, wanted to use a torch on it. Had him go into the hardware area and come back with a 10 lb sledge hammer. I asked him to hit the back side of rim on the wheel weight with that hammer and it came right off. I did the same on the front last summer when I needed to do the brakes, but it was the rotors that gave me more problems, stripped a jack screw on them, my fault, the thread was metric, only did it in one hole, not 4, I'm not totally useless.

Born twice, die once
Re: Warning! Another Religious Post [Re: Fishdog One] #6750858
01/30/20 01:57 PM
01/30/20 01:57 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by Fishdog One
Have to throw this out there about changing a tire. Had my 2014 Ford F150 in for 4 new tires. The service desk guy tells me they can't get a rear wheel off, tight on the center hub diameter. He had been pounding the rim with a dead blow hammer and squirting it up with solvent, wanted to use a torch on it. Had him go into the hardware area and come back with a 10 lb sledge hammer. I asked him to hit the back side of rim on the wheel weight with that hammer and it came right off. I did the same on the front last summer when I needed to do the brakes, but it was the rotors that gave me more problems, stripped a jack screw on them, my fault, the thread was metric, only did it in one hole, not 4, I'm not totally useless.

Been there done that many times. Wheel rusts to the hub. When large assault hammering doesn't work , putting all the lugnuts back on but a couple threads loose , lower the vehicle to the floor sometimes works with weight on them. If that fails , drive vehicle and SLAM brakes on very hard. Again , with all lugnuts on and just a thread or two loose.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Warning! Another Religious Post [Re: Cragar] #6750938
01/30/20 03:22 PM
01/30/20 03:22 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes

What is worse is putting it back exactly the only one way it will fit.

On these new vehicles isn't that the truth? That's why I always have a 2 ton floor jack in the back of my truck.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Warning! Another Religious Post [Re: Bob Jameson] #6751922
01/31/20 09:50 AM
01/31/20 09:50 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Many years ago when I was traveling home I was on the interstate and passed an older couple along the road. The lady was standing at the rear of the car looking at what I thought was a flat tire. I was traveling at a high rate of speed so I didn't get a real good look. I pulled over down the road for some reason. I was in a rush to get home but I got stopped and backed up to her. Just something made me do it, how do you explain things like that.

The husband was in the car, I was to find out he was handicapped and blind. Not a good place to be alone as it was a relatively remote area of highway and cold out. It turned out to be a flat and I fixed it for them. She thanked me several times and wanted to pay me. I said no and I was just glad I could help. I don't even remember telling her much about me or where I was from. Some how she had enough info from our brief encounter to track me down and find where I lived.

About a month or so later I received a large box and quite heavy at that. I couldn't remember ordering anything nor did my wife. I looked at the address label and still didn't know who it was from. I opened the large box and inside was an envelope with a card inside. I read the card and it was a thank you/appreciation note from the man and woman that I had helped on the road a month earlier.

I was surprised to say the least and found they had bought me a new stereo system that was top of the line for that time period in the 90's. It had to cost hundreds of $$ as I looked around later to see what they would cost.

Good deeds happen more then folks realize and so many go unmentioned in the world even with total strangers. Lots of good people around. When you listen to the news they want you to think the sky is falling at times smile

Another time I had the jumper cable deal at Walmart with a gal whose battery was low or dead. I was parked close so I got her going again and gave her some advice to get it checked out for bad cells. She offered to have me follow her home and she would make us coffee. I just smiled and said thank you but I have traps to check. I know dumb answer.

Nice story.

wanna be goat farmer.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread