No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: WI Regulations [Re: Calvin] #6752236
01/31/20 01:45 PM
01/31/20 01:45 PM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI
Originally Posted by Calvin
All I know is my buddy moved to WI for a short stint after retirement (from MN). He was going to trap as he always does. Until he read the laws and dealt with other trappers and landowners. He said "what a screwed up state" and moved.

It’s no secret many MN folks don’t like dealing with “other trappers”

In his defense our former czar did manage to screw things up. He erred believing trappers were more effective then they really are.

Re: WI Regulations [Re: Green Bay] #6752263
01/31/20 02:10 PM
01/31/20 02:10 PM
Northern WI, USA
H
Hodag Catcher Offline
trapper
Hodag Catcher  Offline
trapper
H

Northern WI, USA
Northern early bobcat also takes 9 years, not 4 as stated previous

Re: WI Regulations [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6752285
01/31/20 02:30 PM
01/31/20 02:30 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Sprung&Rusty
Originally Posted by Calvin
All I know is my buddy moved to WI for a short stint after retirement (from MN). He was going to trap as he always does. Until he read the laws and dealt with other trappers and landowners. He said "what a screwed up state" and moved.

I would like a list of things he didn't like.

Good point Sprung & Rusty.

Last edited by AJE; 01/31/20 02:30 PM.
Re: WI Regulations [Re: Hodag Catcher] #6752334
01/31/20 03:07 PM
01/31/20 03:07 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Originally Posted by Hodag Catcher
Northern early bobcat also takes 9 years, not 4 as stated previous

I am curios where you got your information from Hodag Catcher? Not saying your wrong, just trying to figure out if I need to send the state another email to fix something on their website. The otter one is wrong as everyone drew at least one tag that put in for a permit. I have the document from 2018 that shows the draw was 6 years for that tag and it should have decreased from there. [Linked Image]

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/trap/draw.html

The link above shows that the state gave out 685 permits for the northern early season for bobcat. Only 1791 applied so the minimum of four preference points listed sounds right.

Last edited by WIMarshRAT; 01/31/20 03:18 PM.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: WI Regulations [Re: Green Bay] #6752336
01/31/20 03:08 PM
01/31/20 03:08 PM
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
trapper234 Offline
trapper
trapper234  Offline
trapper

Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
Deer hunting will shine again some day again in Wisconsin.

Life Member WTA
Life Member NRA
Member NTA

Re: WI Regulations [Re: Green Bay] #6752391
01/31/20 03:47 PM
01/31/20 03:47 PM
Valders, WI
Alex the dog Offline
trapper
Alex the dog  Offline
trapper

Valders, WI
On using CR's at the start of canine season, here is the question WIMarshRAT was referring to that should be on the 2020 Spring Hearings list.
Dave

22. Change the starting date for the use of cable restraints (550219, 610219)Currently, fox, coyote, and bobcat trapping seasons open on the third Saturday in October. However, trappers cannot begin using cable restraints in trapping these species until December 1. Cable restraints have been legal in Wisconsin for many years, but when they were first implemented, a later date was set for their use to reduce incidental capture of non- target animals until the effects could be more clearly understood. They have been tested for best management practices and found to be humane, and especially beneficial when non-target animals are caught. They are normally released without injury, or ill effect. Some trappers would like to be able to use cable restraints from the first day of the season.

Do you support a change which would allow the use of cable restraints in trapping fox, coyote, and bobcats beginning on the first day of the season for those species?

Forever in debt to my Father who introduced me to trapping.
May I be half the man he was.
Re: WI Regulations [Re: Alex the dog] #6752727
01/31/20 08:42 PM
01/31/20 08:42 PM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
Originally Posted by Alex the dog
On using CR's at the start of canine season, here is the question WIMarshRAT was referring to that should be on the 2020 Spring Hearings list.
Dave

22. Change the starting date for the use of cable restraints (550219, 610219)Currently, fox, coyote, and bobcat trapping seasons open on the third Saturday in October. However, trappers cannot begin using cable restraints in trapping these species until December 1. Cable restraints have been legal in Wisconsin for many years, but when they were first implemented, a later date was set for their use to reduce incidental capture of non- target animals until the effects could be more clearly understood. They have been tested for best management practices and found to be humane, and especially beneficial when non-target animals are caught. They are normally released without injury, or ill effect. Some trappers would like to be able to use cable restraints from the first day of the season.

Do you support a change which would allow the use of cable restraints in trapping fox, coyote, and bobcats beginning on the first day of the season for those species?

No, I don’t! Let the vast majority of deer hunters get out of the woods before cables get deployed!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread