No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: Getting There] #6776944
02/20/20 08:38 AM
02/20/20 08:38 AM
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Duluth, MN
Originally Posted by Getting There
...You would have to really look hard to find 2 loons 2 days in a row in my area.

Looks about right based on this map.

Last edited by Clark; 02/20/20 08:40 AM.

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: Getting There] #6777063
02/20/20 10:14 AM
02/20/20 10:14 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
I live with in 100 yds of a lake that connects to Lake Michigan, and there is a road that runs the full length of the lake. Lots of ducks, geese, swans. But I am lucky if I see 4 loons in the spring and 2 in the fall. Mi. is like MN, we have lots of water. I would say there are rare in Mi. You would have to really look hard to find 2 loons 2 days in a row in my area.

Yes, My description of loons being thick as flies was a bit of an exageration, and not really possible since loon pairs are very territorial. In fact, a fair amount of loon mortality comes from fighting to protect breeding territory. You only see them in larger groups as they stage for migration. Relatively speaking the population is high since there are about as many loons as the habititat will support across the breeding range.

Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: ky_coyote_hunter] #6777079
02/20/20 10:26 AM
02/20/20 10:26 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter
a way to eliminate affordable ammunition,

Bingo

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: Lepus] #6777086
02/20/20 10:33 AM
02/20/20 10:33 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by Lepus
The enclosed article is from The Minnesota Volunteer, September 2013. The Volunteer is a Minnesota DNR publication.
Lots of photos, lots of sound facts. https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mcvmagazine/issues/2013/sep-oct/copper.html

I use Barnes 80 grain TTSX bullets in my .243. I figure it costs me about 75 cents to kill a deer with these superior copper
Bullets. 75 cents doesn't seem like a lot of money to me.

I don't necessarily disagree that switching to all copper in rifle bullets is a good idea to keep from killing eagles if you choose to, but being forced to is what is wrong with it.

Give them an inch, they will take a mile. If they succeed to ban lead for one thing, they will use it as a prop to ban it for lots of other things.

Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: ~ADC~] #6777090
02/20/20 10:36 AM
02/20/20 10:36 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by Lepus
The enclosed article is from The Minnesota Volunteer, September 2013. The Volunteer is a Minnesota DNR publication.
Lots of photos, lots of sound facts. https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mcvmagazine/issues/2013/sep-oct/copper.html

I use Barnes 80 grain TTSX bullets in my .243. I figure it costs me about 75 cents to kill a deer with these superior copper
Bullets. 75 cents doesn't seem like a lot of money to me.

Give them an inch, they will take a mile. If they succeed to ban lead for one thing, they will use it as a prop to ban it for lots of other things.

Fishing jigs and sinkers would be next. And what one earth am I supposed to shoot out of a traditional muzzleloader? Copper balls?

Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6777128
02/20/20 11:13 AM
02/20/20 11:13 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
I don't think everything in this world is a conspiracy to take away guns and bullets..You know there are people out there as passionate about the outdoors and wild life as many here are. They just don't feel the need to hunt or shoot and probably really don't give a rip if you do.. I know this because my sister is one of these people, shoots but don't hunt..I also have other relatives that are the same way..But they do ask about our lead, or none BMP traps. Heck even ask about the the plastic shell casing and wads laying all over the river here.. How any good sportsman leave them laying around???
There are birds being poised by lead and maybe not in great numbers. Yes there are more birds than 30 years ago..I can look out my window and know that.
Not all science in this world is junk science the data is out there on lots of topics. I don't have to go look for it and post it here so you have your fact that you need..Not my job as they might say..
We as people of the outdoors, people who use the out doors.. shouldn't we be looking to help all wild life when and where we can.. So if there is an alternative to lead bullets, much like the steel shot was to water fowling. Why not look into that??
I'm not saying just stop, take everything away,,cold turkey.. I like my fishing jigs I make myself.. You give me something better I can do myself I'm there..
I may or may not see it in my life time?? These changes I know I've seen a lot of changes...For sure not buying into the every thing BIG Conspiracy Thing..
I do think a lot of people could back off on their narrow minded thinking. All or nothing, extremist, I got mine, it's the best way, thinking..World be a better place for everyone.
Rant Over
Let the name calling begin:

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6777133
02/20/20 11:18 AM
02/20/20 11:18 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
The quintessential reason as to why the left is succeeding imo.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6777169
02/20/20 11:42 AM
02/20/20 11:42 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Is it extremist to point out that the sky is not falling when a few birds die from lead poisoning, even though their populations are stable or expanding? Or, to suggest that mortality in any wildlife population is normal and sustainable?

Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: Getting There] #6777184
02/20/20 11:56 AM
02/20/20 11:56 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Online content
trapper
Getting There  Online Content
trapper
G

West Michigan
I live with in 100 yds of a lake that connects to Lake Michigan, and there is a road that runs the full length of the lake. Lots of ducks, geese, swans. But I am lucky if I see 4 loons in the spring and 2 in the fall. Mi. is like MN, we have lots of water. I would say there are rare in Mi. You would have to really look hard to find 2 loons 2 days in a row in my area.

Yesterday on the way home I seen a im Eagle on the ice. Today I see the Eagle is dead on the ice and the sea gulls are feeding on it.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: Getting There] #6777186
02/20/20 11:59 AM
02/20/20 11:59 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny

Yesterday on the way home I seen a im Eagle on the ice. Today I see the Eagle is dead on the ice and the sea gulls are feeding on it.

Drive by again tomorrow and see if all the seagulls are dead too.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: walleye101] #6777191
02/20/20 12:03 PM
02/20/20 12:03 PM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Originally Posted by walleye101
Is it extremist to point out that the sky is not falling when a few birds die from lead poisoning, even though their populations are stable or expanding? Or, to suggest that mortality in any wildlife population is normal and sustainable?

Nope no I don't think so and can agree with that. I've said it in past post. I know there are more birds need only look out window..grew up watching it all..
That is no more extremist thinking than the people trying to save that one bird that is sick..My point is that somewhere in all this is middle ground..Talk respectfully with each other..Everyone comes at so many of these issues, like you stated as "The sky is always falling." Some one is taking this from me..Toe in the door and all is lost..
These younger folks that get so worked up. They don't know the past only what they see now.. If we can't educate them, work with them to understand their concerns. Show them that yes some things are a problem an it's been worked on now for years. Here is where we came from and are passing that work on to you to move forward..
But the Sky is not falling..

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: Getting There] #6777198
02/20/20 12:11 PM
02/20/20 12:11 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH

Thank you Mother Nature, at least someone is managing them. grin

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6777202
02/20/20 12:14 PM
02/20/20 12:14 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
The middle ground as I see it is to allow some controlled killing of raptors. Eagle feathers and claws could be marketed easily if it were made legal. I dont want to see them disappear but 6-8 raptors per square mile is just to many. Only a few extremists have a problem with controlling coon fox and coyote populations. Should be no different with eagles hawks and owls. 99.9 % of lost fishing sinkers are in deep enough water no bird will ingest one. How many deer are unrecovered in deer rifle season? Some, yes, but not hoards of them. Else you would be tripping over antlered skulls everytime you were in deer habitat.

FWIW I have started shooting those TSX bullets too. Very accurate and weight retention is close to 100%. Has nothing to do with lead. I like blackpowder shooting too. Along with my 22's. I just dont see lead bullets being a big problem.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6777217
02/20/20 12:36 PM
02/20/20 12:36 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Danny is right, logically the middle ground would be some controlled management of any species. Total protection or killing to extinction are the extreme positions. No one is suggesting killing to extinction, but there are plenty of people advocating for and insisting on total protection. Treating every case of incidental mortality as something that needs to be eliminated only plays into this extreme position.

It is ridiculous that we are even having an advisory group discussion in MN to determine if a fully recovered wolf population should be sustainably managed with controlled hunting and trapping.

Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: walleye101] #6777236
02/20/20 01:01 PM
02/20/20 01:01 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by walleye101
Danny is right, logically the middle ground would be some controlled management of any species. Total protection or killing to extinction are the extreme positions. No one is suggesting killing to extinction, but there are plenty of people advocating for and insisting on total protection. Treating every case of incidental mortality as something that needs to be eliminated only plays into this extreme position.

It is ridiculous that we are even having an advisory group discussion in MN to determine if a fully recovered wolf population should be sustainably managed with controlled hunting and trapping.

Very well said! I sure don't want to see any critter get gone gone but they like everything else need managed. I too believe when there isn't management of apex predators there is a agenda there too. I'm not saying entirely, because you have the wolfs, eagles etc, are so cute people, but more predators mean less prey, critters we hunt. Hunters in a lot of States have gotten tired of going out on public land and not seeing game anymore, some give up and quit buying hunting license. Imo, this is a tool being used.

Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6777251
02/20/20 01:08 PM
02/20/20 01:08 PM
West Michigan
G
trapper
trapper
G

West Michigan
We have to remember not all State have those high number of Raptors. But I do realizes that the Western States has a much better chance at seeing the Raptors than in Michigan. I was in Great Bend in Nov. and drove a lot of back roads. Also drove up from Wichita I see hawk. But I did not keep track of how many. There was no shortage of game, but I do not know how it was back in the day.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6777264
02/20/20 01:19 PM
02/20/20 01:19 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Lead comes from the soil. We drill through it to get water. Does that water have lead in it?

I have had an eagles nest by my house for the 12 years I have lived there. They set in it all year. They eat the coon carcasses I leave out. There are now 6 instead of just 2. I'm sure these will die of old age here.

Just passin through
Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6777270
02/20/20 01:22 PM
02/20/20 01:22 PM
West Michigan
G
trapper
trapper
G

West Michigan
I know there is a trapping season, BUT is there a limit on the number of rats, coon, fox, and other animals that can trapped in your State? In MI. there is a limit on Otter and Cats.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6777307
02/20/20 02:05 PM
02/20/20 02:05 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
MI has a lot of regulations that make sense at all

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Eagles and Lead [Re: Larry Baer] #6777401
02/20/20 03:54 PM
02/20/20 03:54 PM
West Michigan
G
trapper
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by Larry Baer
Lead comes from the soil. We drill through it to get water. Does that water have lead in it?

I have had an eagles nest by my house for the 12 years I have lived there. They set in it all year. They eat the coon carcasses I leave out. There are now 6 instead of just 2. I'm sure these will die of old age here.

Any city/village/ or township that sell water to there residents have to do a water quality report once a year. One requirement is a lead and copper test.
Most lead that if found in drinking water comes from lead water service lines. Lead Goose necks, and leaded water main joints. Non used in many years.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread