No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
FHA press release #6783219
02/25/20 11:00 PM
02/25/20 11:00 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline OP
trapper
MJM  Offline OP
trapper
M

ND

The Wild Fur MarkeT and Making inForMed decisions Moving ForWard in 2020. The Global fur market is always set at the International Auctions. In the world of Ranch mink that means Kopenhagen Fur Centre in Denmark and Saga Furs of Finland. As Fur Harvesters Auction is the last remaining Wild Fur Auction house operating on this continent on an International level the market will not be set until the conclusion of our March 24th /26th 2020 auction.
As the only Wild Fur Auction House as well being trapper owned we feel responsible to advise and caution those trappers that currently have fur on hand to seriously consider waiting for the results to come in from our March 2020 auction before making the call where to market.
Our next auction is not till May 30 to June 2nd and we are expecting strong support from both the supplier side and from the International buying community. As our last receiving dates and countless route trucks will once again be rolling in early April there is no reason to make any rush decisions.
As well to keep in mind FHA is the last remaining operation that annually funds Provincial, Territorial and State Associations as well as the Fur Institute of Canada and the International Fur Federation through percentages of fur sales. These funds are needed to keep all these organizations remaining strong in order to lobby and combat those that threaten our industry and our way of life. We believe in free enterprise and strong competition as its great for business. That’s why we spend a lot of time and money travelling the globe doing wild fur workshops and seminars all in an effort to fill our auction room with buyers to COMPETE for your hard acquired catch.
Fur harvesTers reMains deePlY coMMiTTed To The TraPPers oF norTh aMerica on all levels

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: FHA press release [Re: MJM] #6783229
02/25/20 11:12 PM
02/25/20 11:12 PM
Nebraska
Poorcoon Offline
trapper
Poorcoon  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I'm really not very excited about holding fur over for another year. But I guess a guy's got to try to do what he thinks is best when the time comes.

"Nothing I like to do pays well." True Grit

"Revenge is in the hands of God, not mine." Revenant.
Re: FHA press release [Re: Poorcoon] #6783248
02/25/20 11:25 PM
02/25/20 11:25 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline OP
trapper
MJM  Offline OP
trapper
M

ND
Originally Posted by Poorcoon
I'm really not very excited about holding fur over for another year. But I guess a guy's got to try to do what he thinks is best when the time comes.

You don't read that as fur is selling too cheap in the country? Holding another year? As in you already held it one? That doesn't sound fun to me.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: FHA press release [Re: MJM] #6783271
02/26/20 12:16 AM
02/26/20 12:16 AM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
Im not into holding fur sell it pay bills no deep freezer fees or worries.

Re: FHA press release [Re: MJM] #6783276
02/26/20 12:21 AM
02/26/20 12:21 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
So their basically saying that the up coming sale Is not looking good as to prices or clearance's. So If this sale Is going to go that route why would the next sale In May be any better.

Well I guess we will just have to wait.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: FHA press release [Re: MJM] #6783290
02/26/20 12:35 AM
02/26/20 12:35 AM
MO
cfowler Offline
trapper
cfowler  Offline
trapper

MO
At least they're giving a "heads-up".

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: FHA press release [Re: MJM] #6783294
02/26/20 12:38 AM
02/26/20 12:38 AM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
I think they are optimistic about FHA beating country prices on the next sale. They want you to hold off selling in the country and see the proof on the upcoming sale. After you see the light, ship for the next FHA sale.

Re: FHA press release [Re: MJM] #6783300
02/26/20 12:42 AM
02/26/20 12:42 AM
Central Wisconsin
C
cwtrapper Offline
trapper
cwtrapper  Offline
trapper
C

Central Wisconsin
Bvr I agree

Re: FHA press release [Re: BvrRetriever] #6783310
02/26/20 01:09 AM
02/26/20 01:09 AM
MO
cfowler Offline
trapper
cfowler  Offline
trapper

MO
Originally Posted by BvrRetriever
I think they are optimistic about FHA beating country prices on the next sale. They want you to hold off selling in the country and see the proof on the upcoming sale. After you see the light, ship for the next FHA sale.

I think you been in the Kool-Aid, but I admire your enthusiasm.

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: FHA press release [Re: MJM] #6783314
02/26/20 01:17 AM
02/26/20 01:17 AM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
They don't want to pay any longer than necessary to store a bunch of low value fur that there is a limited market for. Can't say I blame them.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: FHA press release [Re: cfowler] #6783327
02/26/20 02:04 AM
02/26/20 02:04 AM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Originally Posted by cfowler

I think you been in the Kool-Aid, but I admire your enthusiasm.

I for for one am very glad I am not holding any fur and it's all gone.

Kenneth schoening
Re: FHA press release [Re: MJM] #6783330
02/26/20 02:10 AM
02/26/20 02:10 AM
Washington
L
Loup loup Offline
trapper
Loup loup  Offline
trapper
L

Washington
Alright guys our fur market overall has been treading water for a few years. There is no economic indicator anywhere that points to improvement. Every morning just listening to the ag report on the radio I hear of another harbinger of a commodity downturn. Price of oil, trade embargoes, stock market, exchange rate, corona virus in china, just heard this morning the corona virus is in Italy. A major manufactore of luxury fur garments.
Couple that with the fact that FHA is holding alot of fur from the last few years, they have not only taken on fresh goods from their past shippers, but this sale they have received even more fresh goods from past NAFA shippers. Then on top of that, they are tasked with liquidating NAFAs moth eaten presto logs.
Over the years At times Ive more than doubled
My money at FHA. There's been several years where theyve held my fur for 2-3-4 years then given it away. That being said. I do not envy the decisions the FHA management are having to make. Nor the actions they are going to have to take, to save the industry. I beleive FHA, trappers that they are, have the health and future of our industry our way of life at heart.
I interpret what they are saying is look at Kopenhagen, look at Saga, they have set the ranch fur market. Now FHA must set the wild fur market off their paramidors. Thats realality.
They are saying sell your collection in the country, dont plan on shipping to the May sale. In other words unload now or hold your own goods over. They are giving us, trappers, a heads up to not commit and ship for May until we see the results of March. I commend them for this.
I predict FHA will try to hold the line on the better fresh Lynxcats, (tough grade), muskrats, sel otter and shear able beaver. Everything else goes cheap. Then I beleive come May sale FHA will rip off the bandaid and dump any fur that has takers. They will do this to dump stale inventory, and the first step in resetting the wild fur market.
The writings been on the wall for awhile. Myself, I told my soninlaw this fall, we may not sell any cats this year, we may not sell any cats next year. We have been putting up some species in a way to appeal to craft buyers. I have kept a constant flow of pelts going to the tannery, I will offer my coyotes in a month. In a month I will have storage ready for if I don't sell them.
FHA does not want to store your fur.
Just my veiw from the hinterlands. Best of Luck.
Wayne Negus, "Hope springs eternal, in the breast of a Trapper."

Re: FHA press release [Re: BvrRetriever] #6783333
02/26/20 02:14 AM
02/26/20 02:14 AM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana

Going to be tough to beat $205 from north Dakota sale on coyotes imo. Sale average pretty darn good too I believe.

Kenneth schoening
Re: FHA press release [Re: MJM] #6783340
02/26/20 02:39 AM
02/26/20 02:39 AM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
I think it is going to be very difficult for any sale - FHA, Nevada. North Dakota - to exceed or equal the prices obtained at the first North Dakota sale.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: FHA press release [Re: MJM] #6783400
02/26/20 08:12 AM
02/26/20 08:12 AM
Nebraska
Poorcoon Offline
trapper
Poorcoon  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by MJM
Originally Posted by Poorcoon

You don't read that as fur is selling too cheap in the country? Holding another year? As in you already held it one? That doesn't sound fun to me.

I like and am impressed with the state auction sales results in the region. I don't have one very close to me. But to me they don't appear to be the best option for selling my raccoon. But I absolutely refuse to sell finished fur to anywhere that I can't see competitive buyers bidding
Loup Loup.. I like what you said

Re: FHA press release [Re: MJM] #6783404
02/26/20 08:18 AM
02/26/20 08:18 AM
Nebraska
Poorcoon Offline
trapper
Poorcoon  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
By anyone I mean groenewold or petska. LOL. I wouldn't mind selling finished fur some day to maybe a small fur buyer but not somebody who has the potential to Corner the market. And I don't have anything against petska or Grunwald personally. They're nice successful companies

Re: FHA press release [Re: Loup loup] #6783421
02/26/20 08:46 AM
02/26/20 08:46 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by Loup loup

They are saying sell your collection in the country, dont plan on shipping to the May sale. In other words unload now or hold your own goods over. They are giving us, trappers, a heads up to not commit and ship for May until we see the results of March. I commend them for this.

Interesting take on this, but I read it exactly the opposite. It sounds to me that they are recommending do NOT sell in the county at the prices currently being offered until you see results from their March sale. You will then have the opportunity to ship for their May sale if you like what you see.

Re: FHA press release [Re: MJM] #6783425
02/26/20 08:54 AM
02/26/20 08:54 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
fha last recieving date was jan 19 for the march sale. you cant get fur on it now anyway. a few guys have done well at state sales so i dont expect to see a big drop in coyotes or cats. somebody is bidding and buying them. at least the stuff produced west of the mississippi and north of i40. some is cheaper than others but havnt seen a crash yet. those buyers are well aware nafa warehouse is about to be emptied at whatever is bid.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: FHA press release [Re: MJM] #6783436
02/26/20 09:00 AM
02/26/20 09:00 AM
WI
N
nimzy Online content
trapper
nimzy  Online Content
trapper
N

WI
Being cyclic in nature eventually this thing will turn or go by way of the buggy whip. 101 we share interpretations. However following the Nafa debacle the nervous will be satisfied with anything. Another sign of capitulation.

I’m referring to the staple species. Coon, rats, mink and beaver.

Last edited by nimzy; 02/26/20 09:03 AM.
Re: FHA press release [Re: walleye101] #6783524
02/26/20 09:56 AM
02/26/20 09:56 AM
MO
N
NEMOparttimer Offline
trapper
NEMOparttimer  Offline
trapper
N

MO
Originally Posted by walleye101
Originally Posted by Loup loup

Interesting take on this, but I read it exactly the opposite. It sounds to me that they are recommending do NOT sell in the county at the prices currently being offered until you see results from their March sale. You will then have the opportunity to ship for their May sale if you like what you see.

That's exactly what I read also. Hold off selling elsewhere till you see their March results. Sounds like they are confident that they will be good.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread