No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Low Fur Prices #6794697
03/07/20 04:30 PM
03/07/20 04:30 PM
Central Wisconsin
C
cwtrapper Offline OP
trapper
cwtrapper  Offline OP
trapper
C

Central Wisconsin
My thoughts. I did like it when the fur prices were high as far as the money goes. However I think I've had way more fun when the prices were low. Way less stressful. I sure don't miss the competition you have with good prices. When the prices are high every trap hanging on a barn wall seems to get set by someone. Certainly don't miss sitting in a boat waiting for the opening minute. With guys on both sides of you as far as you could see. Picking a strip through the marsh and going as fast as you can. Setting every house and feedbed you can till you were out of traps. Don't miss all the theft that went on during those times either. One time in particular. Finished setting all my traps , came back out the same route and the first trap I had set was gone. Another guys trap was in its place. Got back to the truck and there were 2 wardens there. Told them about it and the name on the tag. One asked if my traps were marked. Told him no. He said "Well all I can say is leave him float". LOL I'll trap no matter the price. Why? 1] Because I love it. 2] I believe the animals need to be managed. Or Ma Nature will. Then fur will be scarcer when prices are good. That's a waste. I think all true trappers will trap no matter the price. Just My Thoughts.

Re: Low Fur Prices [Re: cwtrapper] #6794713
03/07/20 04:45 PM
03/07/20 04:45 PM
missoula, mt 59803
M
mttrapperguy Offline
trapper
mttrapperguy  Offline
trapper
M

missoula, mt 59803
I agree with you cw. I trap because I was raised by my grandpa and he taught me how to trap and it is in my blood for good. Low fur prices or high, I trap as hard as i can each year.

Re: Low Fur Prices [Re: cwtrapper] #6794728
03/07/20 05:11 PM
03/07/20 05:11 PM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
It appears like 90% of the thieves have gone the way of high fur prices. Same with competition. In the late 70s, every culvert held a 1 1/2, sometimes on both sides of the road. Bridges had all four corners set, and you needed to check canine sets early or your fox and the trap he was in would be gone.

In Pa, the only trapping that sees pressure is beaver. Limited numbers of beavers here...folks get bored and want something to do. If there’s beaver remotely close to the road, someone is after them.

Re: Low Fur Prices [Re: cwtrapper] #6794742
03/07/20 05:26 PM
03/07/20 05:26 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I rarely see any competition around here. Except during wolf season several years ago, then there was people everywhere on the public land.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread