Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Beaver meat as a base for K9 bait [Re: RKR] #6814507
03/23/20 03:07 PM
03/23/20 03:07 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
When I smell a well cooked steak I start to salivate. I can just taste it and the smell puts a picture of a good steak in my mind. I can only imagine this is what is happening to Mr. Coyote when they smell a good bait. If a coyote smells beaver I would imagine he either wants it or does not. Why would a bait formula make a bait more appealing if a coyote had never smelled it before? Is this purely curiosity?

Just passin through
Re: Beaver meat as a base for K9 bait [Re: RKR] #6814567
03/23/20 04:13 PM
03/23/20 04:13 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Online content
trapper
Bob Jameson  Online Content
trapper
B

SW Pa
Imagine seeing an attractive woman at a mall, bar, restaurant or on the street.

Depending upon your frame of mind you may or may not approach her for a better look just out of curiosity. Or you may position yourself as not really paying attention to make a better observation of her just for practice sake.

It briefly catches your eye or interest.

At some point as fate or circumstances play out you may opt for a walk by for just a brief close encounter and a better look.

Now you may get a shot at a possible odor encounter of her perfume as she passes you bye. Now as quickly as she passes you pick up that brief odor presentation. Now how ever slight that odor may be it either enhances your attraction of your initial impression or it disappoints you in a split second. Or you may rationalize that it really wasn't all that to begin with..

This calculated determination typically all takes place in a split second in your mind.

Animals in my experience may most likely act very similarly.

The thing that will determine how that reaction plays out all depends upon their life experiences and their current state of mind up to that point of their encounter of that odor and set presentation.

In my mind an animal may never have smelled or encountered that particular odor or modified odor blend previously. However it does present an OPPORTUNITY>

Does the animal bolt at the smell, does he get a good whiff and keeps on going , will it stop to evaluate that odor at a distance, does it cautiously circle down wind and take another whiff to try to decipher the unfamiliar odor better?

Does it travel on and decide to come back at a later time that night or does it return the next time around to commit totally without hesitation?

Just some practical food for thought.

Re: Beaver meat as a base for K9 bait [Re: RKR] #6814660
03/23/20 05:32 PM
03/23/20 05:32 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Bob, I agree with analogy, with some slight modifications.

First, with coyotes, as a specie they are neophobic (the fear of something new). So to the extent that an odor (or in your case, the attractive woman) is a new experience on the landscape, the coyote's first response is to leave, walk away, trot off or even run. Not because it has had a prior experience with the odor, but because it has NOT had a prior experience.

Second, in your analogy, grey fox are teenage males in the height of testosterone production. The go blundering in to check out whatever the odor is and the decide later if its something they actually want.

Third, bobcats are of the mindset that if they coyly wait near the bar, the good looking female will eventually come over and ask for a phone number . . . .

Re: Beaver meat as a base for K9 bait [Re: RKR] #6815882
03/24/20 06:14 PM
03/24/20 06:14 PM
USA
C
Coyotero7 Offline
trapper
Coyotero7  Offline
trapper
C

USA
Bob,

What would you suggest to add to a ground muskrat meat bait to make it a little more fluid and easier to stir? Your bait solution has already been added. A small amount of glycerin?

Thanks,

Re: Beaver meat as a base for K9 bait [Re: RKR] #6816059
03/24/20 08:04 PM
03/24/20 08:04 PM
SW Pa
B
trapper
trapper
B

SW Pa
All the muskrat meats that I have worked with were usually quite moist by themselves. Before adding any other ingredients. Just my experience.

Let the meat marinate with the bait solution and stir for a week or so. It may produce some of its own juices after it sits for some time. There are some variables that will determine this. After sitting for a while if doesn't suite your likes you can add some fluid.

Use what is handy. Add some Mineral Oil, P. Glycol or Glycerin. I have used them all for private use baits over the years. Commercially I use glycerin. Add a little, stir and monitor. You should know when you have reached a suitable state for your liking. You can always pour off excess if needed.

Re: Beaver meat as a base for K9 bait [Re: RKR] #6816705
03/25/20 11:03 AM
03/25/20 11:03 AM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
What little bait I use is fresh preserved with zero adds, If I feel it needs adds I add it at the set with lure. I get a lot more commitment the first time thru with fresh preserved bait and a lot less Opossums. I want my bait to taste good, castor, sac, and mink glands don't taste too good, don't ask LOL..

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Beaver meat as a base for K9 bait [Re: RKR] #6816863
03/25/20 12:01 PM
03/25/20 12:01 PM
SW Pa
B
trapper
trapper
B

SW Pa
Northern castor isn't bad but southern castor not so much. sac oil is bland and mink glands are just plain nasty. Don't ask me either smile

Re: Beaver meat as a base for K9 bait [Re: RKR] #6817089
03/25/20 03:27 PM
03/25/20 03:27 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Not asking! grin

Not to sound too naive but the adds I have seen over the years that say things like '' enticers added'' '' makes them slobber'' '' triggers'' or words used to describe how much a canine will want someone's bait are pretty much advertising in you guys opinions?

I agree with the thought process of your above post Mr. Jameson.

Just passin through
Re: Beaver meat as a base for K9 bait [Re: RKR] #6817126
03/25/20 04:13 PM
03/25/20 04:13 PM
SW Pa
B
trapper
trapper
B

SW Pa
Quote '' enticers added'' '' makes them slobber'' '' triggers''

Those things describe me before a good dinner on days when I am really hungry. smile See I still believe animals don't react too much differently then humans with many things. All those adjective's are accurate to a good degree IMO.

Re: Beaver meat as a base for K9 bait [Re: Bob Jameson] #6817482
03/25/20 09:45 PM
03/25/20 09:45 PM
USA
C
Coyotero7 Offline
trapper
Coyotero7  Offline
trapper
C

USA
Thanks Mr Bob! I appreciate the feedback. I will let you know next fall how it turns out.

Re: Beaver meat as a base for K9 bait [Re: Bob Jameson] #6818250
03/26/20 04:41 PM
03/26/20 04:41 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Northern castor isn't bad but southern castor not so much. sac oil is bland and mink glands are just plain nasty. Don't ask me either smile

Sac and mink are dead tie for me , even tried catsup LOL wink

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Beaver meat as a base for K9 bait [Re: RKR] #6818297
03/26/20 05:23 PM
03/26/20 05:23 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Thanks!

Just passin through
Re: Beaver meat as a base for K9 bait [Re: RKR] #6869783
05/11/20 11:29 PM
05/11/20 11:29 PM
Eastern Oregon
Trickstertrapper Offline
trapper
Trickstertrapper  Offline
trapper

Eastern Oregon
A little note that worked well for me for cats and coyotes... After skinning the beaver, I remove it’s entrails. Then I cut open the diaphragm and pour the blood, heart, lungs and liver into a bucket. I grind up the beaver meat and the heart, lungs and liver... add the blood back into it and stir it up real well. It’s a little soupy. I add about 1 large beaver castor to 2 gallons and taint for a couple of weeks for coyotes before pouring in a couple of cups of glycerine. Or, for cats, I add the glycerin right away. I don’t add any other preservative and it seems to work fine. I use about a pound at my cat sets and a little less than an ounce in my dirt hole sets with good results throughout fall and winter.

Re: Beaver meat as a base for K9 bait [Re: RKR] #6883357
05/27/20 11:32 AM
05/27/20 11:32 AM
el vado, nm
T
Tom Fisher Offline
trapper
Tom Fisher  Offline
trapper
T

el vado, nm
Something I do with paste/ground bait is put it up in a soft plastic bottle. I use a sausage stuffer to fill the bottles, helps to keep the bait where I want it. I used Bob Freemans bait years ago that's how he put it up.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91