ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Live trap #6800705
03/13/20 02:52 PM
03/13/20 02:52 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
Getting There  Offline OP
trapper
G

West Michigan
I have a live trap with a wire trigger that fires from the top center. It is not the trap that has the wires that swing to the side. I just can not remember where I got the trap. I have two of them but would like to get a larger one. Thanks for the help.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Live trap [Re: Getting There] #6800771
03/13/20 04:42 PM
03/13/20 04:42 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Pics might help.

Re: Live trap [Re: Getting There] #6800830
03/13/20 05:27 PM
03/13/20 05:27 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Live trap [Re: Getting There] #6800868
03/13/20 05:51 PM
03/13/20 05:51 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
trapper
G

West Michigan
It is not a Comstock trap. On a Comstock the trap is fired when the animal pushes the wires to the side. The trap I have trips the trap by pushing the wires like a swing, NOT like a door. The rod works by pushing a latch on one end and pulling out of a nut on the other. Sorry never got into posting pictures.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Live trap [Re: Getting There] #6800972
03/13/20 07:01 PM
03/13/20 07:01 PM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
I have an Advanced Beaver size with the trigger in the top. Works very well in the right situation. Like the Comstock swing wire traps also. IMO, they are both much more reliable than the step on treadle.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Re: Live trap [Re: QuietButDeadly] #6801020
03/13/20 07:45 PM
03/13/20 07:45 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly
I have an Advanced Beaver size with the trigger in the top. Works very well in the right situation. Like the Comstock swing wire traps also. IMO, they are both much more reliable than the step on treadle.

Thank you, this is the trap maker I was looking for, Advance traps. I have two of his trap and like them. His web side is not as good as his old one.
Thanks again.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Live trap [Re: Getting There] #6801027
03/13/20 07:49 PM
03/13/20 07:49 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
The first comstock traps I got had the wires swinging from the top. I really like it that way.

Re: Live trap [Re: Getting There] #6801321
03/13/20 10:28 PM
03/13/20 10:28 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Hey Jim. I still have some of the older triggers from the top. We were able to simplify the trap, fewer parts, by going to the side trigger. If you turn the trap on its side you can still have the triggers from top or bottom. Triggers on the bottom make it really hard for any animal to get through without firing. When turned sideways of course the doors close from the side. The trap will function any way you choose.

Re: Live trap [Re: Getting There] #6801861
03/14/20 12:20 PM
03/14/20 12:20 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
I have a live trap with a wire trigger that fires from the top center. It is not the trap that has the wires that swing to the side. I just can not remember where I got the trap. I have two of them but would like to get a larger one. Thanks for the help.

I believe you got ones I made.

I licensed My patents to a Canadian company for a year and half. They built three models using my patents but changed the way the trap was made and worked. I got out of the agreement last early summer. When the traps are made again in the United States they (Canadian Business) may be a distributor. I plan to make a new website and license to a company here. The traps will all have a reduction of magnetic intensity measured through the trap. They will look almost Identical to what has been shown in the past. I recently made test sets for beaver. Two of the 5 cage traps had increased magnetic intensity on one end of the double doored traps. Traps were set in 3 to 18 inches of water. They looked alike so much you had to look closely to tell and use a magnetometer to tell the difference. The two traps that had the highest internal Intensity Had evidence of avoidance and interest the other traps did not receive . It was an area trapped two years ago in a large creek with little or no runs and flooding conditions of rising and falling water. The beavers response gave me more confidence gained from older testing.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Live trap [Re: Getting There] #6801927
03/14/20 01:30 PM
03/14/20 01:30 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
trapper
G

West Michigan
Kirk:
I just have a hard time catching Porcupines. I get very few call but still like to give them a run for there money. You make a great trap. IMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Live trap [Re: Getting There] #6801931
03/14/20 01:32 PM
03/14/20 01:32 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by Getting There
Kirk:
I just have a hard time catching Porcupines. I get very few call but still like to give them a run for there money. You make a great trap. IMO

PS your old web site sold me on your traps.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Live trap [Re: Kirk De] #6802247
03/14/20 07:14 PM
03/14/20 07:14 PM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
Originally Posted by Kirk De

I believe you got ones I made.

I licensed My patents to a Canadian company for a year and half. They built three models using my patents but changed the way the trap was made and worked. I got out of the agreement last early summer. When the traps are made again in the United States they (Canadian Business) may be a distributor. I plan to make a new website and license to a company here. The traps will all have a reduction of magnetic intensity measured through the trap. They will look almost Identical to what has been shown in the past. I recently made test sets for beaver. Two of the 5 cage traps had increased magnetic intensity on one end of the double doored traps. Traps were set in 3 to 18 inches of water. They looked alike so much you had to look closely to tell and use a magnetometer to tell the difference. The two traps that had the highest internal Intensity Had evidence of avoidance and interest the other traps did not receive . It was an area trapped two years ago in a large creek with little or no runs and flooding conditions of rising and falling water. The beavers response gave me more confidence gained from older testing.

You are correct sir. I got if from you at the SE Regional some years back. Have not tried to check the magnetic fields but if I put it in the right spot, I collect beaver the next day. Have collected 50 pounders 4 nights in a row inside a 30" aluminum pipe. Works great in plastic culvert pipe too. The only maintenance I have had to do was replace the trigger wires.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Re: Live trap [Re: Getting There] #6802879
03/15/20 11:32 AM
03/15/20 11:32 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
It really isn't a problem catching porcupines, just give them a little time to return. The last time I made blind sets with both 15 and 18 inch wide double door beaver traps with a bit of simple drift fencing, which worked fine, got several in a couple of weeks, no bait or lures as usual.

In response to to those who might be experiencing beaver refusals from other beaver cage traps, I surely can't say why they are having issues. Perhaps narrow traps are part of their problem or bulky, conspicuous door systems? With experience under our belt, we have been trapping beaver almost exclusively with wide, low profile swim through beaver cage traps for nearly 10 years now taking a total of 1,336 beaver with no evidence of refusals of any kind, often cleaning entire colonies of 8 or 10 beaver in two nights without issue. Many ADC trappers have taken 100 beaver per year using these cage traps for many years, racking up catches of 300, 500 and more beaver with no evidence or even a suggestion of refusals. These traps also regularly take both otter, beaver and porcupines, even bobcats, fox and coyotes in dry sets, again minus refusals. With so many variables, identifying real problems and solving them should need not be confused with ginning worries about issues that could easily be attributable to many factors.

Re: Live trap [Re: Getting There] #6804285
03/16/20 12:46 PM
03/16/20 12:46 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
It really isn't a problem catching porcupines, just give them a little time to return. The last time I made blind sets with both 15 and 18 inch wide double door beaver traps with a bit of simple drift fencing, which worked fine, got several in a couple of weeks, no bait or lures as usual.

In response to to those who might be experiencing beaver refusals from other beaver cage traps, I surely can't say why they are having issues. Perhaps narrow traps are part of their problem or bulky, conspicuous door systems? With experience under our belt, we have been trapping beaver almost exclusively with wide, low profile swim through beaver cage traps for nearly 10 years now taking a total of 1,336 beaver with no evidence of refusals of any kind, often cleaning entire colonies of 8 or 10 beaver in two nights without issue. Many ADC trappers have taken 100 beaver per year using these cage traps for many years, racking up catches of 300, 500 and more beaver with no evidence or even a suggestion of refusals. These traps also regularly take both otter, beaver and porcupines, even bobcats, fox and coyotes in dry sets, again minus refusals. With so many variables, identifying real problems and solving them should need not be confused with ginning worries about issues that could easily be attributable to many factors.

I don't know of a test for Crypto Chrome molecules in Porcupines. EMF intensity could be a big factor. I would think because of its genetic base and the quills a trap 14 inches wide or more and a door opening height of 14 inches or more would be best if EMF is a factor.

As far as EMF intensity testing for beaver and otter,a trap should work well on land as well as under water to be the most effective. The only way I have found that to be true is a trap that has a low intensity as the animal moves through the trap. Check your traps using your IPHONE with a tesla magnetometer App.

As far as how effective cage traps can be I took a whole colony of beaver (10) earlier this year myself in 10 days with two cage traps that work equally well on land or in water and underwater.

As far as taking 1300 or more beaver in ten years in cage traps seems to me, based on my experience, to be a very low number if one was targeting water sets and sets on land. I have never found it possible to avoid refusals if the traps being used had a elevated intensity EMF at the traps door or going through the trap when used on land for beaver and otter. Catches of over 100 beaver per month with 12 cages should be consistently possible if the trapper has the area, ability, and corresponding equipment such a truck and supplies. (Cool times of the year)

Where Bobcats are concerned they pay little concern for elevated EMF's inside a trap. To compare under water sets and animals such as cats to traps having a elevated EMF is not accurate. All traps omit a magnetic field. Not all of the models have a reduced field, but many do. These also include the cheaper traps made by so many of the manufacturers.

Check your traps for EMF intensity and find out for yourself. I have never found it to be inaccurate.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Live trap [Re: Getting There] #6805335
03/17/20 08:38 AM
03/17/20 08:38 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Overall numbers of any animal taken by anyone anywhere, as everyone knows, are merely indicative of the population of animals at a given location, often little to do with the trappers skills or how well any equipment performs. There are excellent trappers that may only take 25 to 50 beaver a year because they simply don't have the beaver to work with. To diminish who they are because they don't have the wildlife to work with misses the point entirely. For instance, the number of armadillos taken in Maine is generally lower than what is taken in Florida. I guess this all comes down to relativity as it relates to efficiency, number of days spent on site, time spent on the road driving, mileage etc. With time at a premium and mileage costs high, beaver jobs can usually be wrapped up in a couple of days, no matter how many there are. At the same time I referenced a beaver job where 10 were taken in two nights I also caught 9 beaver in two nights at another location simultaneously with 4 traps. If you are wondering how 9 beaver were caught in two nights with only 8 trap nights available, beaver #5 on day one was caught just after I reset the first two traps, which came to 5 beaver in 4 traps. The next day produced 4 more and cleaned the colony. Again, I pulled an left, no refusals.

Re: Live trap [Re: Getting There] #6807558
03/18/20 07:25 PM
03/18/20 07:25 PM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
To say that you have had ZERO refusals of any kind in ten years is pure ego blowing smoke. Just because it eventually caught doesn't mean there was no refusals.

Cameras are a wonderful tool to learn what really goes on at a set.

I have used your traps along with the advanced and a few others. Side by side, the Comstocks have more refusals than the advanced.

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
Re: Live trap [Re: Getting There] #6808545
03/19/20 01:16 PM
03/19/20 01:16 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
The connotation and exaggeration about ZERO refusals of any kind are surely not my words, nor what I said. The implication in the statement that we don't get refusals is merely that refusals are very rare at best, of little overall consequence in the grand scheme of things, minor in nature with an insignificant effect on catching ability and end result. With so many variables, it can be difficult to isolate the "one" factor than can be attributed to an outcome of any kind. If by chance an animal, for whatever reason is distracted by something, like odor, a bright light, a barking dog, size of trap or whatever, and does not enter a trap on the first approach and does get caught on a second, as long as he's in the box when I get there, the exact details of exactly what occurred in between are of a lesser importance, about like hind footing a coyote. I'll take it. It's all good. If the critter is there when I get there, I'm happy, the client is happy and the problem is solved. As a point of reference for refusals, I would just ask Ronnie Vincent about refusals with advanced traps on otter for instance and how that compared to Comstock and what Ronnie now uses exclusively.

Re: Live trap [Re: Jim Comstock] #6808605
03/19/20 02:25 PM
03/19/20 02:25 PM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by Jim Comstock

You sure wrote it....

As for otter refusals, I have talked with Ronnie .

Talk with Swamprat who I know personally if you want to talk otter. He uses both and prefers the advanced.

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
Re: Live trap [Re: Getting There] #6808632
03/19/20 02:58 PM
03/19/20 02:58 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
trapper
G

West Michigan
I have both traps a Comstock & Advance. Both traps are very well made, heavy with great closing doors. I need to know the size of a trap to use for porcupines. I have trapped raccoons in my yard and watch them do everything but go in the trap. Then for no reason walk away. The next night with the same trap, same bait, the raccoon smells around the walks in, the only thing different was I took out the old bait and put fresh bait in.
Short story, I did a lot of bait casting for pike when I first retired. I had a hot shot bait/lure that just slammed the pike. Then the bait/lure went cold, and I was tell my friend about the bait/lure and he ask how often do you use the bait/lure. I said about 90% of the time. He said there are other baits out there but you keep using the same bait/lure all the time you will never get other fish or you will have to wait until you old bait/lure meets the condition that the fish want that bait/lure. When I stop bait casting I had 5 different rods with different bait on them ready to cast and any time.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Live trap [Re: Getting There] #6809504
03/20/20 07:43 AM
03/20/20 07:43 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
I have used the both 12x12 double door and also the 12x18 Comstock wider beaver traps with great success. Drift fence them where they are working an area. Sometimes takes a bit of time for them to return, but you will catch them with a bit of patience. They just have to return.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread