Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Hagz clips [Re: Bison88] #6827279
04/02/20 05:15 PM
04/02/20 05:15 PM
Wyoming
T
thedude055 Offline
trapper
thedude055  Offline
trapper
T

Wyoming
The dog issue i think is in my head more than anything. similar to the question of which direction do you place the dog on a blind set for coyotes. If the trap is bedded and covered properly the difference is random to a certain extent. But i do believe in listening to myself sometimes but also proving myself right or wrong. meaning If i think that might be an issue i would set them and others and see if there is a difference. I have proven myself wrong many a time. I once thought dog proofs were a waste and the only thing you ever needed to catch coon was a 1.5. Now i certainly set more dog proofs than 1.5's for coon. Each has there own place compared to my style.

I was curious about the 3/8 rod being different as well like you are talking Beav. I use construction site stakes as they are free dollars in my neck of the woods and my job. I take a 1x4 and cut it 7" long and cut a notch in it to slide vertically on the stake. Then i drill holes every inch up and down the stake. I set my trap on the platform and lower it into the water and then stick a nail through whatever hole i want to use to stick my bait to. It is a crude system and has its flaws for sure. especially when coon get in them but it works well enough for free right now. the stake actually blends in well in the cattails i set it. My issue is as i plan on getting a larger line and gameplan together the thought of handmaking 100 of these and carrying them around makes my skin crawl.

Some think it might be overthinking but i rather enjoy the thinking part of it. Trapping that is.

Owner Wind River Trapping Supplies
Re: Hagz clips [Re: Bison88] #6827413
04/02/20 07:15 PM
04/02/20 07:15 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Dog position or we should say loose jaw position doesn't mean squat when trapping long legged critters. It's those short legged critters like mink and rats where It makes a difference.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Hagz clips [Re: SNIPERBBB] #7495226
02/13/22 07:59 PM
02/13/22 07:59 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
The sudden valley ones are your best bet for long springs.

Looking at those. Anyone got a pic of how the longspring sits securely on the sudden valley support?

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91