Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Trap Shy Beaver Issues.... [Re: bigshooter888] #6826101
04/01/20 07:14 PM
04/01/20 07:14 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Make some blind sets where they are using with footholds-bedded and covered with soaked leaves etc.Leave all the surroundings natural and use no lure.
Some places to look are natural castor mounds-dam crossovers,or around the house if they have a climb out.
A good way to get the last one is drain the pond and set the channels submerged at natural pinch points.Dont use any fencing and if you use a dive pole make it very natural.Better to find an old log that they are already swimming under.Draining the pond really limits their travel options.Also look for tracks in the fresh mud - it will tell you where the beaver went-upstream or down-or if he is still in the house or a bank hole.You can nail them away from the dry pond with good blind sets in natural flow if you know which way they went.When dealing with educated beaver make good blind sets and as many as you can locate-then give your traps plenty of time to work-dont be checking them every day-every 3rd day is good.

Last edited by Boco; 04/01/20 07:19 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Trap Shy Beaver Issues.... [Re: Boco] #6826117
04/01/20 07:23 PM
04/01/20 07:23 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
A

Orergon
Originally Posted by Boco
Make some blind sets where they are using with footholds-bedded and covered with soaked leaves etc.Leave all the surroundings natural and use no lure.
Some places to look are natural castor mounds-dam crossovers,or around the house if they have a climb out.
A good way to get the last one is drain the pond and set the channels submerged at natural pinch points.Dont use any fencing and if you use a dive pole make it very natural.Better to find an old log that they are already swimming under.Draining the pond really limits their travel options.Also look for tracks in the fresh mud - it will tell you where the beaver went-upstream or down-or if he is still in the house or a bank hole.You can nail them away from the dry pond with good blind sets in natural flow if you know which way they went.When dealing with educated beaver make good blind sets and as many as you can locate-then give your traps plenty of time to work-dont be checking them every day-every 3rd day is good.

This.

Just doing what I want now.

Re: Trap Shy Beaver Issues.... [Re: alaska viking] #6826474
04/01/20 11:00 PM
04/01/20 11:00 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Me too; I agree with "Boco's approach.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Trap Shy Beaver Issues.... [Re: Boco] #6826499
04/01/20 11:20 PM
04/01/20 11:20 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Boco

This is what to do for shy beavers^^^^^^

If you can catch him in a float with a bodygrip....he ain't a shy beaver. Carefully submerged bodygrips and footholds are the ticket....set blind.

I have a 24 hour check here in Ga...wish we had at least a 48 for drowning sets. Check your trapping laws.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Trap Shy Beaver Issues.... [Re: Swamp Wolf] #6826504
04/01/20 11:27 PM
04/01/20 11:27 PM
Sultan , Wa
Jakeland Offline
trapper
Jakeland  Offline
trapper

Sultan , Wa
Blind sets work great but if I go into a job that someone else has educated them I will do both . Blind sets with the whole coni underwater or foothold but 4 outta 5 of the trap smart beaver will go right into a float set out in the middle of the pond or river as I don’t think they’re smart enough when it’s not close to land

Re: Trap Shy Beaver Issues.... [Re: bigshooter888] #6826941
04/02/20 11:42 AM
04/02/20 11:42 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
What Boco said, if you're using footholds, cover and blend them carefully like you would for a canine. I don't usually cover my traps for beaver, they don't care. But a trapwise beaver is a whole 'nuther ballgame, and I'll cover them carefully. I've also caught them by setting the traps up on dryground in a crossover or other place they are using, carefully blended when I couldn't get them to approach a water covered trap no matter how carefully concealed. Figuring out how to set up a drowning rig on a dry ground set can be a bit interesting.
I think bodygrips if they are wised up to footholds will be your best bet, but if they are wised up to both you'll have to pull out all the stops.

Re: Trap Shy Beaver Issues.... [Re: bigshooter888] #6827185
04/02/20 03:25 PM
04/02/20 03:25 PM
SE Minnesota
bigshooter888 Offline OP
trapper
bigshooter888  Offline OP
trapper

SE Minnesota
Awesome ideas guys! Thanks for all the input. So heres what i did today. Clearly they are staying away from my castor sets, so I pulled the traps but made those spots look like i was still there. Figuring he wasnt going there anyway, might as well steer him away from them still. I tore a big hole in each dam, drained the one about a foot and the other about 3ft. Made finding runs a lot easier!! Threw some 330s in those submerged runs and blind set the breaks with #5longs and ts85s in the deep well camo'd on drowners. Gonna give it three days and then I will report back. Thank you guys for the input! Love this site!

"Two things are infinite. The universe and human stupidity….and I am not sure about the universe." (Einstein)
Re: Trap Shy Beaver Issues.... [Re: bigshooter888] #6827186
04/02/20 03:27 PM
04/02/20 03:27 PM
SE Minnesota
bigshooter888 Offline OP
trapper
bigshooter888  Offline OP
trapper

SE Minnesota
I also put game cams up on the dam breaks so if i get a catch on camera, i will post it here so you guys can check it out!!

"Two things are infinite. The universe and human stupidity….and I am not sure about the universe." (Einstein)
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91