No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: School closings [Re: ~ADC~] #6824387
03/31/20 12:39 PM
03/31/20 12:39 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Its stupid to even have school (on-line or otherwise) at all right now. Its time to teach your kids more valuable things than they can learn in a class room. If things have straightened up after the regular scheduled summer break, worry about classroom learning then. This couple months of school won't make a speck of difference in the grand scheme of a kids long life.

X2, I can skin a buck and run a trout line comes to mind.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: School closings [Re: Sullivan K] #6824392
03/31/20 12:44 PM
03/31/20 12:44 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
I have to agree with you to a point ADC. In a perfect world we would have parents that would use this time to go outdoors, cook, bake, read, etc. with their kids to give them life experiences that they can't get in school. Exactly like you said. The problem is that this isn't a perfect world and for some kids this is going to turn into a 5 or 6 month video game/youtube/movie binge.

At our district we were told that K-1 should have around a half hour of school work prepared for them each day. Grades 2-3 should have around two hours of work, 4-5 should have three to four hours, etc. Some kids and families are going to do the bare minimum. Other families are going to be done with this work by 10 A.M. and are emailing for more work, extra activities, and links to other educational sites. There are a lot of variables that should be considered when giving out required work in this distance learning situation but in my opinion the important thing is that all students are at least given an opportunity to further their learning whether it be life skills from their parents or the work and activities that school districts and teachers are assigning them. For those parents that don't give a rip, at least their kids are given some structure and normalcy in their day with the assigned work given by districts and teachers.

Re: School closings [Re: atrapper] #6824406
03/31/20 12:59 PM
03/31/20 12:59 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by atrapper
I have to agree with you to a point ADC. In a perfect world we would have parents that would use this time to go outdoors, cook, bake, read, etc. with their kids to give them life experiences that they can't get in school. Exactly like you said. The problem is that this isn't a perfect world and for some kids this is going to turn into a 5 or 6 month video game/youtube/movie binge.

And those are the same parents that aren't going to make their kids do on-line or in-home schooling either. 2-3 months of school will not make or break any kids.

Re: School closings [Re: Sullivan K] #6824412
03/31/20 01:03 PM
03/31/20 01:03 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
A lot of the internet providers in Ohio have stepped up and are providing free internet to the families of children, who did not have it and donated devices, so the children can get on line and continue their schooling.

Keith

Re: School closings [Re: Sullivan K] #6824537
03/31/20 03:13 PM
03/31/20 03:13 PM
Northern MN
A
atrapper Offline
trapper
atrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Northern MN
True and true, ADC. In the big scheme of things these 8 weeks of lost traditional school isn't going to make much difference. I think it comes out to be approximately 1% of their K-12 education. And as you said, those parents that don't give a rip aren't going to be much good helping their child at home with school work. However, the fact still remains that it's important to at least give these kids an opportunity to learn even if their parents aren't going to be there to help them. As a teacher I feel that's part of my job....to do what I can remotely to motivate all students to at least attempt some structured work daily. Luckily this is a great time of year now in the spring to get kids outside as there are a lot of phenological events taking place. I make multiple posts each day on our classroom website about American robins, sandhill cranes, mourning cloak butterflies, Canada geese, etc. all returning or emerging in our northland. I can attach informative links about these species and encourage kids to get outside and see, hear, and find other events happening to report to our class. It's a fun way to keep kids engaged in education, get them outside, and keep them networking with their peers.

Re: School closings [Re: Sullivan K] #6824660
03/31/20 05:18 PM
03/31/20 05:18 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
We are paying the teachers. Why waste resources. I suppose some families are inconvenienced?

Re: School closings [Re: Sullivan K] #6825245
04/01/20 08:05 AM
04/01/20 08:05 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
I think it would be a good time to rethink the whole public school thing...Shut them all down..
Be nice to not have that 3rd or so of my property taxes going to schools..Let me spend that money on what I want.
Let parents see their kids get schooled however they want and quit making people with no kids pay..
Isn't this what conservatives have wanted for years?? Good time to get it done.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: School closings [Re: 20scout] #6825253
04/01/20 08:13 AM
04/01/20 08:13 AM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by 20scout
Discussed this with a friend today and he pointed out that most schools are doing classes on line and things seem to be going well under the circumstances. Then he put this scenario into play by asking what if we did this full time instead of sending kids to school? Think of the money saved on buildings, buses, maintenance and such. That could possibly even lower our taxes but I'm sure our leaders would find something else to spend that on to justify keeping it.

Striking teacher's unions in Ontario are scared to death of the notion that a great deal of education can be accomplished online.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread