Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: yoteguts] #6835143
04/08/20 10:38 PM
04/08/20 10:38 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by yoteguts
Kirk just ordered the book. Very interested in this. I run a sloped trench set with the trap on a steep angle. Caught all age groups of yotes in it. All are buried up in the corner of the trap with about 2 out of 10 double footed. I did find that the dia of the hole per trap size was very important. Reckon the angle affects the magnetic field?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Read it several times I found it if you don’t you’re gonna miss out.You have to understand the concept to use it in every part of your trapping situation. Thank you

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6835146
04/08/20 10:46 PM
04/08/20 10:46 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
What about making a degaussing mechanism (coiled wire with electricity to it) like they do in aircraft and other factories? Just run your traps through it and neutralize the magnetism?

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Lazarus] #6835154
04/08/20 10:55 PM
04/08/20 10:55 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Lazarus
What about making a degaussing mechanism (coiled wire with electricity to it) like they do in aircraft and other factories? Just run your traps through it and neutralize the magnetism?

I just don’t know whether that would work. If you read the book and understand how magnetic field works in a double door cage trap you will understand what I’m saying.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: cmcf] #6835521
04/09/20 10:45 AM
04/09/20 10:45 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by cmcf
I believe that in scientific terms this is what is called a “control group or study “. Without a control, data or observations have a much lower value.
If you want to have an accurate study it will prove every time the study is completed this is how I would do it or how I did it. Test the magnetic field of every trap. Do your testing on land or in shallow water 4 to 6 inches deep. Use four double door traps that are 14 inches wide and at least 14 inches tall at the door. Go to at least 20 to 30 locations set the traps with lure between them.Set them preferably at least 5 feet out from the bank. Target beaver. At the same location have at least two 12 x 12 double door traps one with a low magnetic field reading going through the trap and one with a high magnetic field reading going into and through the trap. Set them on Crossovers on land trails. Pay close attention to refusals or go arounds.Record your results. The lower intensity traps will catch more in every trial that I’ve done. There are no exceptions. If your traps don’t have a reduced magnetic field intensity going through the trap you’re losing money.

Last edited by Kirk De; 04/09/20 01:21 PM.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6835737
04/09/20 01:44 PM
04/09/20 01:44 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
I’m the eternal skeptic so here goes.

I’ve successfully used the Pipe Dream set with metal screen just like Zagger does. If the screen is metal and touches the trap, the magnetic field would essentially be the same. Does the grass cover negate the magnetic charge?? That’s the part that makes me wonder. I don’t know the answer. But I’d bet there is more to it than just the magnetic field of the trap. For the time I used the pipe dream set last fall, my catch rate absolutely skyrocketed. I even had the screens scraped clean and removed meaning whatever sensed the trap or screen, took the time to expose it.

Could any of what you’ve seen be attributed to the dye, wax, water contaminants in boiling water? Anything the traps were stored in going to and from the trap sites? Did your vehicle exhaust system vent into the storage area of the truck box because it had a hole in it? In a controlled study, these things or things like them would have to be considered.

Testing to support your book can’t be done by you now. It would be a built in bias. Independent study, say, by Ron Jones or Yes Sir, or Mark Zagger, or somebody else we generally trust would have to do it.

Never too old to learn
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Teacher] #6835782
04/09/20 02:13 PM
04/09/20 02:13 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Teacher
I’m the eternal skeptic so here goes.

I’ve successfully used the Pipe Dream set with metal screen just like Zagger does. If the screen is metal and touches the trap, the magnetic field would essentially be the same. Does the grass cover negate the magnetic charge?? That’s the part that makes me wonder. I don’t know the answer. But I’d bet there is more to it than just the magnetic field of the trap. For the time I used the pipe dream set last fall, my catch rate absolutely skyrocketed. I even had the screens scraped clean and removed meaning whatever sensed the trap or screen, took the time to expose it.

Could any of what you’ve seen be attributed to the dye, wax, water contaminants in boiling water? Anything the traps were stored in going to and from the trap sites? Did your vehicle exhaust system vent into the storage area of the truck box because it had a hole in it? In a controlled study, these things or things like them would have to be considered.

Testing to support your book can’t be done by you now. It would be a built in bias. Independent study, say, by Ron Jones or Yes Sir, or Mark Zagger, or somebody else we generally trust would have to do it.

The best way to answer your questions is to or for you to go back and read all my posts . Read the book. As far as someone to test the traps I would recommend Robert Waddell first Choice.DougMassey of Georgia Toby Hutchinson of Alabama and Paul Dobbins’s.Just do the testing yourself

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Lazarus] #6835802
04/09/20 02:23 PM
04/09/20 02:23 PM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
Current running through a coiled wire produces a magnetic field,not sure if it would cancel out an existing mag field. College physics was a long time ago!

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: mike mason] #6835803
04/09/20 02:25 PM
04/09/20 02:25 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by mike mason
Current running through a coiled wire produces a magnetic field,not sure if it would cancel out an existing mag field. College physics was a long time ago!

It creates a magnetic field I believe it’s on page 21 or 22 in my book.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Kirk De] #6835811
04/09/20 02:35 PM
04/09/20 02:35 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Kirk De

I believe I understand Lazarus was talking about. I just don’t believe it would work in this case.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Kirk De] #6835832
04/09/20 02:46 PM
04/09/20 02:46 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Originally Posted by Kirk De

I'm not seeing that,Kirk.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Taximan] #6835858
04/09/20 02:59 PM
04/09/20 02:59 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
I don’t have access to my book right now.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: mike mason] #6836015
04/09/20 05:38 PM
04/09/20 05:38 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Mike and Lazarus I did a little refresher on demagnetizing
The degaussing will work (strong AC current through an insulated wire wrapped around a steel loop) traps in center of loop while slowly reducing current level to zero .
My memory was telling me a couple sharp raps with a metal hammer would diminish the magnitude of the magnetism. It does this by scrambling the atoms electrons out of the pattern that a magnet has. So brace the side of the base plate on a block of hardwood strike sharply with a medium size drift pin. Less mass =higher speed = more shock with less distortion. Two strikes on each side and on each end of the base plate. Then set trap and dry fire two times. The jaws smacking together will take care of their magnetic field. CAUTION! DO NOT DRY FIRE CAST JAWS They may break causing bigger problems.

And theeeeer ya go demagnetized traps!!!

Full disclosure I will not be doing this to any of my traps.
Nor will I be heating them to decoalessence about 1150F another way to demagnetize.

Hard on the springs don’t ya know.

Instead I will continue to set on sign and catch critters.
And the ones I don’t catch will be left for seed. And I’ll scratch my head and say HUH looked like a good spot. Y’all have a goodun and stay well.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6836032
04/09/20 05:50 PM
04/09/20 05:50 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Dang it now I have AMAZON trying to sell me Kirk’s book!! Guess I’ll have to deguasse the phone to stop sending out LURES for pop ups! LoL.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: cmcf] #6836042
04/09/20 05:56 PM
04/09/20 05:56 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by cmcf
Mike and Lazarus I did a little refresher on demagnetizing
The degaussing will work (strong AC current through an insulated wire wrapped around a steel loop) traps in center of loop while slowly reducing current level to zero .
My memory was telling me a couple sharp raps with a metal hammer would diminish the magnitude of the magnetism. It does this by scrambling the atoms electrons out of the pattern that a magnet has. So brace the side of the base plate on a block of hardwood strike sharply with a medium size drift pin. Less mass =higher speed = more shock with less distortion. Two strikes on each side and on each end of the base plate. Then set trap and dry fire two times. The jaws smacking together will take care of their magnetic field. CAUTION! DO NOT DRY FIRE CAST JAWS They may break causing bigger problems.

And theeeeer ya go demagnetized traps!!!

Full disclosure I will not be doing this to any of my traps.
Nor will I be heating them to decoalessence about 1150F another way to demagnetize.

Hard on the springs don’t ya know.

Instead I will continue to set on sign and catch critters.
And the ones I don’t catch will be left for seed. And I’ll scratch my head and say HUH looked like a good spot. Y’all have a goodun and stay well.
Wouldn’t the springs just bring the field back no matter what you did to the trap itself.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Kirk De] #6836093
04/09/20 06:35 PM
04/09/20 06:35 PM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
I don't believe so,only if and electric current was induced to the springs.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: mike mason] #6836134
04/09/20 07:04 PM
04/09/20 07:04 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
I don't believe so,only if and electric current was induced to the springs.
How it doesn’t really matter because what I have written is true. If followed will dramatically increase your catch.What device you use does not matter what I have written is true,And will still be represented as I said.Helping the industry is all that matters.I know that I’ve done that.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6836289
04/09/20 08:40 PM
04/09/20 08:40 PM
Central MN
MNCedar Offline
trapper
MNCedar  Offline
trapper

Central MN
I see this info as something I'm going to sit with a while and figure out how I can apply it to my trapping. Yes, everybody should keep setting on sign. That's obvious. But if I can be mindful of all the ways animals interpret the world and use it to my advantage once in a while, I see that as a win.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: MNCedar] #6836498
04/09/20 10:28 PM
04/09/20 10:28 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by MNCedar
I see this info as something I'm going to sit with a while and figure out how I can apply it to my trapping. Yes, everybody should keep setting on sign. That's obvious. But if I can be mindful of all the ways animals interpret the world and use it to my advantage once in a while, I see that as a win.

I agree, as much as I get schooled I'll take any advantage I can find.

Last edited by Yes sir; 04/09/20 10:28 PM.
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Yes sir] #6836699
04/10/20 06:44 AM
04/10/20 06:44 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by MNCedar

I agree, as much as I get schooled I'll take any advantage I can find.

I reviewed what was said I went back in my mind over all the testing that I had done. I believe the whole keys with everything is the ability to measure the magnetic field. The use of a magnetometer to measure the field. What I discovered in the first place. That’s the whole key. Demagnetizations would not be the route to go. You all were telling me by the comments that you made.I’ll try to explain later.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6837377
04/10/20 06:07 PM
04/10/20 06:07 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
I bought your book when it first came out, and it's intriguing.

I'll have to read it again!

Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91