No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: School me on apple trees [Re: Bear Tracker] #6863213
05/04/20 04:59 PM
05/04/20 04:59 PM
Missouri
W
WhiteTrash 88 Offline
trapper
WhiteTrash 88  Offline
trapper
W

Missouri
If you're planting them for deer, don't fence them and start shooting them the first year. Those bud tips are what they want and it's just like dope to them. Have a deer problem in my young pecan orchard with them eating the bud tips. Gonna get a permit this year and start shooting them on site.

Re: School me on apple trees [Re: larrywaugh] #6863223
05/04/20 05:33 PM
05/04/20 05:33 PM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
What might not have been mentioned, if you don't get a lot of rain, your going to want to dump 5 gallons of water on each tree once a week the first year.

If you want a deer magnet, plant the disease resistant type of chestnut tree. They will eventually produce a LOT more poundage of food that deer love.

Crab apple trees are good for deer, small apples, easy to get in their mouth.

Re: School me on apple trees [Re: larrywaugh] #6863264
05/04/20 06:24 PM
05/04/20 06:24 PM
kansas
L
larrywaugh Offline OP
trapper
larrywaugh  Offline OP
trapper
L

kansas
Well I guess it's good I asked some questions. There is a whole lot of things i didnt know. There is a reputable nursery where I live I may see what they have. I didnt know deer were attracted to crabapples i have a tree in my yard. I have heard that deer love chestnuts and i am thinking of planting them too.

Won't take no prisoners,won't spare no lives.
Re: School me on apple trees [Re: larrywaugh] #6863284
05/04/20 06:43 PM
05/04/20 06:43 PM
Iowa
C
coydog2 Offline
trapper
coydog2  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
There is some thing that is over look, make sure you use fence that the rabbits will not get in to feed on the young trees. Also check the type of apple it is , there is some that is self pollinate they do not need another one , But there is some that do need one. If it is just for deer you can use root stock trees for them if it dose not matter the type of apple. Like stated crabapple is the best since it is easy on them to get at and eat. You could plant a crab and a regular apple tree. There is 3 type of trees grow to be, Dwarf, Semi Dwarf ,standard that is full grown .It depend on how high you want your trees to be .

Life member of DAV,NTA,NRA,ITA.Also member of FTA,CBA
Re: School me on apple trees [Re: larrywaugh] #6863319
05/04/20 07:08 PM
05/04/20 07:08 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Online content
trapper
upstateNY  Online Content
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by larrywaugh
Thanks for the info I didnt know you needed 2 trees to pollinate. When I was young we had an apple tree with no others for at least a mile and it produced fruit.

They need to CROSS pollinate.For every 5 Cortlands I planted,,I threw in one Mackintosh.They are loaded with apples most years.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: School me on apple trees [Re: Kart29] #6863367
05/04/20 08:17 PM
05/04/20 08:17 PM
The great cage state Colorado
M
Monster Toms Online content
trapper
Monster Toms  Online Content
trapper
M

The great cage state Colorado
Originally Posted by Kart29
I'm no expert but I've learned from a few mistakes.

First, I'd contact your county extension office and find out what variety of apple tree grows good in your area. Then I would contact Stark Brothers nursery and get a disease resistant strain of that variety of apple tree. They can even tell you what other trees would complement it to help it pollinate.

I had deer eat on one my little trees the first or second year. Fortunately they didn't eat the whole thing and the tree is doing fine now that I put wire fence around it. If you go to all the trouble and expense of buying and planting an apple tree, it would only make sense to put a fence around it, too.

I have heard that you can paint or wrap the trunks of young trees to protect them from damage from mice and rodents. I can't say that works for sure, but if you don't have tree tubes I would look into it.

Also, learn how to prune the tree to get the best growth from it.

When I bought my trees, I was told it would be 3-5 years before they started producing any fruit. Last year was their third year and I had a total of one blossom among the four trees. They sure did grow good last year, though.

I've heard a rule of thumb is to ONLY plant trees in a month with the letter "R" in it. So, your next opportunity would be September.

So the 8000 trees we planted the last 3 days won't make it?? Only 3000 more to go this week, hope they make it!

Even in our orchards the 4' trees we are planting now wont produce for 2 years. These are trellis trained and babied. As everyone says fence and tube or at least wrap, keep the low branches trimmed out of reach of tongues and antlers.
Good old school apples like Braeburns do good for deer, fairly frost hardy and easy pruners.

Re: School me on apple trees [Re: larrywaugh] #6863373
05/04/20 08:21 PM
05/04/20 08:21 PM
ohio
J
jctunnelrat Offline
trapper
jctunnelrat  Offline
trapper
J

ohio
The deer here rub every sapling after they eat the buds.

jim
Re: School me on apple trees [Re: larrywaugh] #6863374
05/04/20 08:22 PM
05/04/20 08:22 PM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
Deer much prefer pears over apples. Much higher in sugar. I have 32 trees, half pear, half apple. Deer will walk right past the apples to get to the pears.

Re: School me on apple trees [Re: larrywaugh] #6863419
05/04/20 09:13 PM
05/04/20 09:13 PM
Jackson Co, KS
N
NEYotetrapper Offline
trapper
NEYotetrapper  Offline
trapper
N

Jackson Co, KS
Larry

We actually own a fruit tree nursery north-east of Topeka. We grow a variety of apples that have good disease resistance and require little to no spraying. You can find apple varieties from early August maturity to late November. Fencing is a must in deer country. You can send me a direct message if you would like more info. I dont know how it would go over if I promoted our nursery on the open forum.

Re: School me on apple trees [Re: larrywaugh] #6863435
05/04/20 09:22 PM
05/04/20 09:22 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
NEVER plant them near cedar trees

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: School me on apple trees [Re: NEYotetrapper] #6863440
05/04/20 09:26 PM
05/04/20 09:26 PM
Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Hodagtrapper Offline
Muskrat Master
Hodagtrapper  Offline
Muskrat Master

Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Originally Posted by NEYotetrapper
Larry

We actually own a fruit tree nursery north-east of Topeka. We grow a variety of apples that have good disease resistance and require little to no spraying. You can find apple varieties from early August maturity to late November. Fencing is a must in deer country. You can send me a direct message if you would like more info. I dont know how it would go over if I promoted our nursery on the open forum.

A local source is a good idea plus a T-man member to boot!

Chris

>>In God we trust<<
Re: School me on apple trees [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #6863514
05/04/20 10:33 PM
05/04/20 10:33 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by Sprung&Rusty
You need two. They pollinate each other, so plant them kinda close to one another.

Not a hard and fast rule. Many are pollen sterile and can't pollinate themselves or any other. Most notably the winesap triploids and relatives. Some are universal donors aka rooster trees and pollinate everyone. Most notable Golden Delicious and relatives. Then you've got bloom times to consider where two compatible cultivars blooming out of sync is no good.

[Linked Image]
Re: School me on apple trees [Re: Hodagtrapper] #6863517
05/04/20 10:36 PM
05/04/20 10:36 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper
Originally Posted by NEYotetrapper
Larry

A local source is a good idea plus a T-man member to boot!

Chris

I'll second this as all things are local with apples. Generally apples prefer four seasons with a definite winter. Yet there are some that thrive in the tropics. Plant trees that will thrive under your conditions.

[Linked Image]
Re: School me on apple trees [Re: larrywaugh] #6863553
05/04/20 11:24 PM
05/04/20 11:24 PM
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline
trapper
Drakej  Offline
trapper
D

Kanabec Cty, MN
I recommend Chestnut crabapple as a near bullet proof wildlife apple. About a 2-21/2" apple that is very good tasting fresh and also great for cooking, juicing and cider. You can get them dwarf, semi-dwarf and standard to fit the space you have. A UMN apple variety I believe.

I've learned enough thru the years to now know that I don't know enough. KNOWLEDGE IS FREEDOM.
Re: School me on apple trees [Re: larrywaugh] #6863995
05/05/20 01:37 PM
05/05/20 01:37 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
As for deer damage..........I have some young trees I set out 2 years ago. The Liberty bloomed this spring.....too early to allow it to set full amount of fruit, but hoped to keep 3 or 4 for a taste taste. Finally warmed up enough for bees to get busy and pollinate it......and that lasted all of 4 or 5 days......deer arrived and nipped every blossom off the entire tree. Came back the next night and nearly stripped 4 trees of all the leaves. The worst was the Lodi.....a green summer apple I grafted from a 50 year old tree at my folks farm. They are doing their dead level best to kill that one. The one below is a Freedom. It was (past tense) fully leafed out......they nearly stripped it....including all the new growth buds. Where is a coyote when you need one?

[Linked Image]

Although they are not the best eating apples, there are some apples that have been developed for disease resistance and often used for wildlife plantings. Freedom, Liberty and Enterprise to name a few. If you don't have cedar trees near you, Gold Rush is another.....and good to eat too. If you do have cedar trees, forget Gold Rush. Cedar Apple Rust will kill em.

I found a guy near here whose hobby is to collect and evaluate apple varieties. He has over 200 on about 1 acre of ground. What he has discovered is how specific apple varieties are. Apples developed for MN, WI, etc, don't do well in summer heat of MO. He has documented that once temps exceed a certain level, fruit drops off. So they don't work here. I think Honeycrisp was one that did that. Takeaway is to make sure the tree you plant will work for your climate.

I chose to skip dwarfs......as most have to be trellised or will fall over. I use semi-dwarf.

Knowing there are some good nursery guys local is a big help. I use Cummins Nursery in NY. They have a lot of varieties, but more important, they allow you a choice of root stock. Not just for size, but for root stock characteristics. Nobody else I have found does that......including Stark.

Re: School me on apple trees [Re: larrywaugh] #6863998
05/05/20 02:03 PM
05/05/20 02:03 PM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
Cleaning up I found some volunteers. At first I thought crabs. As I looked around the known crab has reddish white blooms and eating apples have white.
The vols have white. I'm hoping and will see.
The blooms may freeze this week.

Re: School me on apple trees [Re: Bigbrownie] #6864056
05/05/20 03:18 PM
05/05/20 03:18 PM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
Deer much prefer pears over apples. Much higher in sugar. I have 32 trees, half pear, half apple. Deer will walk right past the apples to get to the pears.

That's wild. Exactly the opposite here. Our wild (feral??) pears stay hard and bitter no matter what.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Re: School me on apple trees [Re: traprjohn] #6864062
05/05/20 03:26 PM
05/05/20 03:26 PM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
Originally Posted by traprjohn
NEVER plant them near cedar trees

Yup.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_F6W0Op-YF/
" A nearby field containing apple and eastern red-cedar trees provides the perfect conditions for this incredibly unique entity to thrive. Known as Cedar-Apple Rust (Gymnosporangium juniperi-virginianae), this impressive fungus requires both trees to fulfill its biological duties.

In rainy spring weather, jelly-like arms swell and produce certain types of spores that are carried by the wind and eventually germinate on apple hosts. The fungus then matures on apple trees and creates another type of spore that blows in the wind and germinates exclusively on conifer trees, particularly on eastern red-cedar trees. The initial stages of Cedar-Apple Rust eventually appear on eastern red-cedar trees, and the cycle then repeats itself as a forthcoming spring downpour inflates the gelatinous, spore-bearing arms of this itinerant fungus.

In the spring months, both versions of Cedar-Apple Rust — dried and fully-inflated — can be seen. I took these photographs on back-to-back days... one of the days being dry, the other very wet. With plenty of hosts nearby, I suspect that Cedar-Apple Rust will remain a citizen of this field for quite some time!"

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Re: School me on apple trees [Re: Monster Toms] #6864088
05/05/20 04:07 PM
05/05/20 04:07 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Originally Posted by Monster Toms
Originally Posted by Kart29
I'm no expert but I've learned from a few mistakes.

I've heard a rule of thumb is to ONLY plant trees in a month with the letter "R" in it. So, your next opportunity would be September.

So the 8000 trees we planted the last 3 days won't make it?? Only 3000 more to go this week, hope they make it!

Even in our orchards the 4' trees we are planting now wont produce for 2 years. These are trellis trained and babied. As everyone says fence and tube or at least wrap, keep the low branches trimmed out of reach of tongues and antlers.
Good old school apples like Braeburns do good for deer, fairly frost hardy and easy pruners.

I'm so sorry, but yes, you are screwed. Five days ago you would have been fine. But since you violated a hearsay rule-of-thumb, all is lost. So sorry. frown

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: School me on apple trees [Re: larrywaugh] #6864137
05/05/20 05:52 PM
05/05/20 05:52 PM
kansas
L
larrywaugh Offline OP
trapper
larrywaugh  Offline OP
trapper
L

kansas
I had no clue there was so much involved I raising apples. I figured just dig a hole and put a tree in it. I did know about the deer though almost every small tree in my yard has been rubbed. I also knew they ate the trees. Everybody has given me some good info.

Won't take no prisoners,won't spare no lives.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread