No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Wisconsin Spring Hearing Results Posted #6864741
05/06/20 11:34 AM
05/06/20 11:34 AM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Online content OP
trapper
Moosetrot  Online Content OP
trapper
M

Wisconsin
https://dnr.wi.gov/About/WCC/springhearing.html

I have not even looked at them yet.

Moosetrot

Re: Wisconsin Spring Hearing Results Posted [Re: Moosetrot] #6864837
05/06/20 01:25 PM
05/06/20 01:25 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Just shy of a month to put together completely digital results. That's fishy...

Re: Wisconsin Spring Hearing Results Posted [Re: Moosetrot] #6864843
05/06/20 01:31 PM
05/06/20 01:31 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Looks like the crossbow opportunity reductions along with increases gun season length received more NO votes than YES votes. And the trapping questions received more YES than NO votes, including an experimental Badger season, earlier cable restraint opener and extended late bobcat season.

Re: Wisconsin Spring Hearing Results Posted [Re: tlguy] #6865044
05/06/20 05:00 PM
05/06/20 05:00 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I was surprised to see how close most of the lead shot questions were in total numbers of votes. We can bet those will be reoccurring questions.
Voters did not want the DNR to have anymore input in deer harvest issues, but did support 72 counties CDAC units but not DMUs, but, but voters did not want CDAC's either to control baiting and feeding of deer and that was about 50-50 so we have a stalemate when it comes to statewide issues for deer management and that penetrates many other species and seasons in minor to major ways.

Bryce

Re: Wisconsin Spring Hearing Results Posted [Re: Moosetrot] #6865065
05/06/20 05:23 PM
05/06/20 05:23 PM
WI
B
Badger23 Offline
trapper
Badger23  Offline
trapper
B

WI
The lead shot questions were really close. If people that hunt public and state ground don't start voting they're going to be stuck with a lot of lead shotgun ammo if they bought ahead.
I see the question to limit crossbows to early season and then again late season was voted down. It lost in every county and tied in 1. I look at that as the ones who complain about it have the same choice to go buy one but then they won't have anything to complain about.

Re: Wisconsin Spring Hearing Results Posted [Re: Moosetrot] #6865069
05/06/20 05:27 PM
05/06/20 05:27 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I can't believe anyone that hunts on public land would vote to do away with lead.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Wisconsin Spring Hearing Results Posted [Re: Moosetrot] #6865079
05/06/20 05:39 PM
05/06/20 05:39 PM
WI
B
Badger23 Offline
trapper
Badger23  Offline
trapper
B

WI
I doubt they will but a lot of people that do hunt public don't vote and they need to start. I'm thinking it was that close because of the non hunters that are answering those questions.

Re: Wisconsin Spring Hearing Results Posted [Re: Moosetrot] #6865084
05/06/20 05:44 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
The non-toxic shot questions were interesting. There was support for a broad lead shot ban on DNR lands, but turkey and small game didnt receive the same support when asked separately. That tells me some people that answered yes to the first question didn't put too much thought into it or what it might affect.

Re: Wisconsin Spring Hearing Results Posted [Re: The Beav] #6865086
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by The Beav
I can't believe anyone that hunts on public land would vote to do away with lead.

Maybe things are different here or I just don’t understand. Does non-lead ammo not work on public land? It works here just fine, I kill stuff all the time on state land with steel shot while hunting waterfowl and doves.

I will add that I don’t think they should outlaw lead ammo, it should be up to the hunter weather he or she uses non-toxic ammo.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Wisconsin Spring Hearing Results Posted [Re: Badger23] #6865088
05/06/20 05:45 PM
05/06/20 05:45 PM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
Originally Posted by Badger23
I doubt they will but a lot of people that do hunt public don't vote and they need to start. I'm thinking it was that close because of the non hunters that are answering those questions.

Bingo

Re: Wisconsin Spring Hearing Results Posted [Re: Moosetrot] #6865090
05/06/20 05:48 PM
05/06/20 05:48 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
How's the availability and price on non-toxic shot vs lead shot in your area? Here there is half as much non-toxic ammo and it's twice as expensive. That's the reason many don't use non-toxic for everything.

Ever seen a box of non-toxic rifle ammo for under $45/box of 20? Most guys won't practice with their hunting rounds if they're $2.50+ a shell. I dont think I've ever seen non-toxic slugs.

Re: Wisconsin Spring Hearing Results Posted [Re: tlguy] #6865101
05/06/20 06:01 PM
05/06/20 06:01 PM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by tlguy
How's the availability and price on non-toxic shot vs lead shot in your area? Here there is half as much non-toxic ammo and it's twice as expensive. That's the reason many don't use non-toxic for everything.

Ever seen a box of non-toxic rifle ammo for under $45/box of 20? Most guys won't practice with their hunting rounds if they're $2.50+ a shell. I dont think I've ever seen non-toxic slugs.

It is a little more expensive, $40 for 20 cartridges is what .30-06 is around here. $25 for standard rounds, $15 dollars difference. We can’t use centerfire rifles here so they usually don’t carry a lot.

A few places carry non-toxic slugs, federal has one that is like $18 for 5 rounds... so $3.60 a shot... kind of like those TSS turkey loads that are all the rage with some folks.

Once again, I don’t in anyway support a lead ammo ban.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Wisconsin Spring Hearing Results Posted [Re: DelawareRob] #6865116
05/06/20 06:14 PM
05/06/20 06:14 PM
WISCONSIN
W
Wild_WI Offline
trapper
Wild_WI  Offline
trapper
W

WISCONSIN
Wish we could get that cool off period between seasons

Re: Wisconsin Spring Hearing Results Posted [Re: Moosetrot] #6865120
05/06/20 06:19 PM
05/06/20 06:19 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
He statement about public land hunters was because the proposed rule would only ban lead ammo on DNR-managed land. I'm not sure what percentage of public land is DNR-managed, but it's a good chunk.

Plenty of people hunting with $15 rifle ammo on DNR-managed property that might consider a lead ammo ban the nail in the coffin that ends their hunting. But the lead ammo for deer question didnt get as much support as the broad non-toxic shot ban (important to make the distinction between shot and ammo, since lead .22lr and slugs and rifle ammo would still be allowed).

How many occasional pheasant or grouse hunters would call it quits if they were forced to pay twice as much for non-toxic ammo? Plus, how would that work for enforcement if they banned lead shot for grouse, but not small game? For waterfowl, you can't even have any lead ammo in possession. Would you not be able to carry lead 7 1/2 shot for squirrel while hunting grouse with steel 7 1/2? Nightmare.

That's why I wish DNR numbers were required and we could see how active license holders vote vs non-license holders. All these extra regulations do is drive people away from the sport. Non-hunters think they're saving the environment by banning lead ammo when all they're really doing is driving paying sportsmen away from the sport, decreasing funds available for conservation and tourism. We should start requiring a $50 bird watcher license or $50 hiker license.

Re: Wisconsin Spring Hearing Results Posted [Re: tlguy] #6865445
05/06/20 11:20 PM
05/06/20 11:20 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by tlguy
He statement about public land hunters was because the proposed rule would only ban lead ammo on DNR-managed land. I'm not sure what percentage of public land is DNR-managed, but it's a good chunk.

Plenty of people hunting with $15 rifle ammo on DNR-managed property that might consider a lead ammo ban the nail in the coffin that ends their hunting. But the lead ammo for deer question didnt get as much support as the broad non-toxic shot ban (important to make the distinction between shot and ammo, since lead .22lr and slugs and rifle ammo would still be allowed).

How many occasional pheasant or grouse hunters would call it quits if they were forced to pay twice as much for non-toxic ammo? Plus, how would that work for enforcement if they banned lead shot for grouse, but not small game? For waterfowl, you can't even have any lead ammo in possession. Would you not be able to carry lead 7 1/2 shot for squirrel while hunting grouse with steel 7 1/2? Nightmare.

That's why I wish DNR numbers were required and we could see how active license holders vote vs non-license holders. All these extra regulations do is drive people away from the sport. Non-hunters think they're saving the environment by banning lead ammo when all they're really doing is driving paying sportsmen away from the sport, decreasing funds available for conservation and tourism. We should start requiring a $50 bird watcher license or $50 hiker license.

Ever stop to think that driving people from the sport is the entire reason for such bans, don’t get me wrong the run of the mill greenie really buys into the saving the environment argument, but I remember years ago reading an article about ways to stop so called blood sports and one of the attacks was making the ammunition prohibited in cost so that the non hardcore participants would drop out along with making the rules and regulations difficult and hard to remember and convoluted for the same reason.

In that way with less and less participation there are Fewer supporters fighting for the right to hunt, fish and trap, because most of those that drop out of the sports will just not take the time to keep up and back the on s that are fighting to keep it alive

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread